Sunday, August 30, 2015

AYAA to the Rescue!: What do I do about pre-casting?

Rumors will always surround casting.

"She only got it because she's the director's daughter."
"He was promised the role three months ago."
"We shouldn't even bother auditioning; all the good parts have already been cast."

Sometimes, this is very true. Whether they mean to or not, directors envision certain people in certain roles before auditions occur. Sometimes the audition process will change their minds; sometimes it won't.

When the production team releases knowledge publically that certain roles have already been cast, people tend to be okay with it. If it's a part they really wanted, they might not audition, but there are not as many hurt feelings that go along with it. It's a little different when what happens seems a little more shady.

From an actor's point of view who hears a lot from many kids from many theatres, I can't tell you how many times these rumors have passed by me. In the past four months alone, kinds have told me or one of my friends that they've been already been promised a part in a show. More often than that, a third party source will past similar info along.

Now, obviously, not all rumors are true; we should take everything we hear about casting with a grain of salt. However, when people even catch wind of these rumors, it becomes very discouraging. "Why should I even both auditioning if Mary is already going to get Leisl?"

It sucks; there is no denying it. Having even semi-reliable knowledge that "part promising" and/or secret precasting is occurring totally decreases people's confidence when they go into the audition room.

So how do we combat this?

Unfortunately, there isn't much to be done about rumors and precasting; they will always happen. There is nothing we can do to stop people from talking and stop directors from making decisions we don't agree with.

However, what we can do is keep going. Giving up will never serve you. (Unless you're totally miserable and you realize theatre just isn't the right choice for you; all the power to you.)

To get personal, in the past year, I've been on nine auditions and never got cast; I haven't been cast in a community theatre production since May 2014. Now, granted, I have conflicts going in; moreover, in about four of those instances, I would only accept certain roles, so I take that on myself. That being said, it still hurts to be constantly told "no" over and over and over and over again.

But I haven't given up; in fact, I was at a callback yesterday. Only God (and the directors) know if it is going to work out, but even if it doesn't, I'm not going to throw the towel in and go "ring-a-ding-ding -- 10 times the charm! I'm quitting theatre and becoming an accountant!" (No hate to accountants.)

I have to persevere. I love theatre and I enjoy performing. When I'm an adult, I want to change my focus to directing, but I don't think I'll ever stop loving being on stage. I can't stop and I won't.

To end, there is an old saying that claims "good things come to those who wait." Personally, I think that's a bit -- pardon me -- stupid. Sitting around, watching New Girl and eating Skittles isn't going to get you something good; working hard is. So, today, I want to amend that statement to:

Good things come to those who keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment