Monday, January 4, 2016

AYAA Interview: Asher Sheppard


Asher Sheppard is a young actor who was asked to interview after his AriZoni win for Mr. Aesop in Fountain Hill's production of the Fabulous Fable Factory. Asher has primarily performed with Fountain Hills Theater. He has performed as leads in their youth productions and in the ensemble in their adult "mainstage" shows like South Pacific and Young Frankenstein. Asher will next be seen as the Wolf/Cinderella's Prince in Into the Woods.

Full Real Legit Name
Asher Thor Sheppard, yes Thor is my middle name,

Where were you born?
I was born and raised here


What’s home like? Brothers? Siblings? Parents? Pets?
I have two younger brothers  Avery who is sixteen and my youngest brother Calen who is twelve, and happy husky puppy Nanuk, I love him and my family very much.


When and why did you start performing?
I started in a little, very little, homeschool theater that all of my old friends were apart of. They asked me to be in their next show, which was Shakespeare’s A Comedy of Errors where I was a made up character called “Cornelius” that show is what pulled me into the theater world and all of the fantastic people I know now. I stayed at this homeschool theater for two years and then I found Fountain Hills Theater when a fellow actor of mine asked if I could tech for their show of The Somewhat True Tale of Robin Hood that was where I first met Mr. Collins who has really influenced my acting career, I’ve been there ever since and I am extremely happy and content just staying there.


First show you ever saw?
The first show I ever saw was their [the homeschool theatre's] production of The Jungle Book


First Broadway show you ever saw?
My first Broadway show I ever saw was The 25th Anniversary at the Royal Albert Hall of the Phantom of the Opera on YouTube, but my first live broadway show was also Phantom of the Opera at Gammage theater.


Most influential show you ever saw? Why was it so influential?
Both of those productions [of the Phantom of the Opera] really influenced me because of the beautiful emotions all of the actors projected to the audience; they made me truly believe I was there with them. Because of seeing that show, I really wanted to hone my skill as an actor and be able to make the audience laugh, cry, sing along and, be hungry for more, hopefully,


Favorite show you’ve ever been in? Why?
I think my favorite theater production I’ve been in is a tie between Fountain Hills production of Peter Pan and Young Frankenstein. I was just in the pirate ensemble [in Peter Pan] but I had a lot of fun working with all of the really talented actors like Emily Spets who played Mr. Smee, Katie Male who was a was Mrs. Darling and a pirate along with me, and Nicholas Hamburch who was Mr. Darling and Captain Hook. For Young Frankenstein, which was in the main stage or adult theater, I met the fantastic Patrick Russo, Matt and Stephanie McDonald, and all of the other cast members of that show, I really miss that show a lot and wish I could do it again with all of those skilled and experienced actors.


Asher Sheppard in Junie B. Jones, in Jingle Bells, Batman Smells!
Most challenging acting experience? Why?
My most challenging acting experience was actually as Mr. Scary [in Junie B. Jones, in Jingle Bells, Batman Smells!] because for the life of me, I could not memorize my lines, and also teching for Sunday in the Park with George, working three different laptops for three projections and working the sound board on top of that for the live band, that was backstage was really difficult when also having to memorize lines for Junie B.


An abundance of theatres have recently done or are doing Into the Woods this year -- obviously, in response to the movie. You were recently cast as Cinderella’s Prince and the Wolf at Fountain Hills. What do you plan to do to make your incarnations of these characters unique?
In regard to Into the Woods, which I am overjoyed to be apart of and I hope you can come see it, I am also very intimidated. I am going to be in thirteen songs, but I get my own song to sing which I have never really done on stage before. What I plan on doing to make the characters my own will probably come to light when I start rehearsing for the show, but for now I’d say be high and mighty but also not really knowing any differently; the prince was raised that way and he doesn't really see anything wrong with that. The Wolf, on the other hand, I am going to have an extremely fun time being; even though he only has that one song for the whole show, he really leaves his mark and I hope to take full advantage of that.


Asher Sheppard in The Fabulous Fable Factory
You won an AriZoni award for The Fabulous Fable Factory. What is that show about and what was that experience like for you?
My first lead role was actually Mr. Aesop in the Fabulous Fable Factory. The story of that is this little girl Margo stumbles across this mysterious factory and discovers that it makes fables, stories with morals, and she learns about what a moral is and the lessons they teach.


Junie B. in Jingle Bells, Batman Smells recently closed at Fountain Hills and you played Mr. Scary. What sets this show apart from other Christmas shows? How much fun was playing Mr. Scary?
For Junie B. and how that show is different compared to other Christmas shows is the cast themselves. They all worked very hard and really put their entire being into portraying their character and with the experience and direction that Mr. Collins gave us, it really made the show shine, Emily Spets was the perfect Junie B. I really can’t see anyone else as her and everyone else [in the cast] for that matter.


Do you prefer performing in plays or musicals? What makes the process of preparing for these two types of performances different for you?
I’d have to say I prefer being in musicals more then plays, but both really have their perks and minuses. In plays you really have a good show, but with musicals you can express yourself with your voice and the song you have. That is really why I love musicals.
Asher Sheppard with the cast of Young Frankenstein.


Favorite character you got to play this year?
My favorite part I was able to play was probably a townsperson in Young Frankenstein. I had my own little bit, in which Inspector Kemp said that we have got to find a new village idiot and I would raise my hand exclaiming "ME ME ME!!" and singing all of the fantastically memorable songs really was a nice bonus.


Favorite person you got to play opposite of this past year? (Romantically or otherwise)
Favorite person I was able to play opposite of would probably Emily Spets. Just the back and forth shenanigans that she would cause as Junie B. and myself as Mr. Scary was really fun to act all exasperated.


Dream role?
I think my dream role is a four way tie between Javert and Jean Valjean from Les Mis and Raoul and the Phantom from Phantom of the Opera, but the Phantom and Valjean are kind of wishful thinking because I am not a tenor unfortunately, just a bass baritone, insert sad face here.


Theatres in Arizona you would love to work with, but haven’t?
I really don’t feel the desire to go anywhere else in the Valley to other theaters, If I absolutely had to choose, I might pick Hale because from what I have heard they treat their actors very well. But other then that I don't really want to go anywhere else, just keep working with Mr. Collins for as long as I can and then move on to the main stage with all of my adult friends to work with Mr. Hill, who is also a very exceptional director.


Craziest stage experience (mishap, funny improvised joke, etc.)?
My craziest stage mishap would have to be when I was asked to be Mr. Darling [in Peter Pan] at the old homeschool theater I mentioned. When the time came for Mr. Darling to look at Peter Pan's shadow in a cabinet we had on stage, the little boy who was playing the Shadow wasn't there, so I had to completely improvise my lines to get the scene moving again; thankfully, it wasn't a huge fiasco.


Weirdest show you’ve ever been to? (Whether it be the nature of the show, casting decisions, etc.)
The weirdest show I’ve ever seen would have to be the homeschool theater's production of Twelfth Night, which is a Shakespeare play about a duke wanting to get married to this duchess and sending his messenger who is a woman dressed as a man that the duchess falls in love with and it gets much more complicated from then on. But what was really confusing about [this particular production] was they chose three different genres for the show. First, some characters genders were swapped, so guys were playing female characters and vise versa. Their costumes were all over the place; one guy who was playing a woman was dressed like an anime character, another was dressed with a Mad Max apocalypse theme to her, and another looked like a clown and their set was just a curtain that was stained tan with hub caps painted on to look like intricate symbols. Over all, I was very confused, but there were a few actors who did a great job with the parts they were given.


Least favorite costume you’ve ever worn?
My least favorite costume that I had to wear was probably Mr. Scary's and Mr. Aesop’s because they both were pretty much the same thing: pants with a button down shirt with a sweater vest. I don't really like sweater vests because they make me look like I have a big gut sticking out, when I’m actually very skinny.


What is your go-to audition song?
My go to audition song would have to be “Man About Town” from Young Frankenstein. I love that song because it fills me up with so much happy energy that in turn makes me project that happiness to the audience.


Advice for young performers? Auditions? Behavior? Life?
My advice to young performers would be that when you audition for a musical, don’t bring in sheet music that is a capella because I have heard that you will be scratched off the audition sheet right then and there, so don't do it! Also, a big thing that I want everyone to see would be that, no part, no matter how small, is not unimportant. If you’re the lead or just an ensemble member, all of those characters are there for a reason and that reason is to tell the story that you are apart of, so don’t beat yourself up for just getting an ensemble part, because without you the show could not be as good as it would be with you.


Favorite actors and actresses? Stage? Screen?
I think my favorite actor would have to be Josh Groban, because I sound like him when I sing, and Ramin Karimloo, because of his amazing voice and talent on stage, he really inspires me to to my best.


Favorite plays?
Favorite play would be the play Sylvia. That play really made me laugh and that’s pretty much all of the straight plays I’ve seen.

(Author's note: I love Sylvia.)


Favorite musicals?
Favorite musicals would have to be Les Miserables, Into the Woods, Phantom of the Opera, and Twisted; the classics I would say.


What is the best showtune of all-time?
Asher Sheppard with Chelsea Umeda backstage
during Fountain Hill's South Pacific.
Best showtunes of all time would probably be “Children Will Listen” from Into the Woods and “This is the Moment” from Jekyll and Hyde.


Musical/play on Broadway currently you’re dying to see?
Actually, I’m not dying to see a Broadway show right now. I have heard a lot of positive reviews for Hamilton, but it hasn't peaked my interest to see it yet.


Favorite movie? TV Show?
Favorite movie would be Star Wars Episode 7; man, what a great movie! For TV show, I would say Star Wars Rebels. If you haven't already guessed, I am a massive Star Wars nerd.


Personal mantra(s)?
“It is what it is” and “The force will be with you, always.”


How do you feel about the atmosphere of youth theatre around Arizona? What do you like about it? What do you feel like can be improved?
Well, unfortunately, I’ve only been to FHT’s youth theater, which I absolutely love. As I said in my thank you speech for my AriZoni award, FHT has become my home away from home and its the only place I want to be. But from what I’ve heard from the other theaters is that some of them are either very expensive and pretty cut throat. Now this is just second hand info I have, so it may not apply anymore, but shouldn't people just be happy to be in theater and not about what part they get? That’s all I would want to change in the theater industry, and the actors egos, but that is out of my control so I just have to deal with it. Thankfully, FHT has this uncanny ability to repel egotistical actors which I love.


What’s your “adult” plan? Keep performing professionally or…?
My plan is to get my Nursing degree and then set my schedule to work when I want, so I’ll have plenty of time to be in theater, and most likely, be in the main stage at FHT.


Upcoming projects?
Upcoming projects would be to audition for Mr. Collins original Miss Minnie’s Melodram-odeon and then see what shows they're doing next season.


No comments:

Post a Comment