Saturday, March 5, 2016

AYAA Interview: Spencer Claus

Hello, everyone! Today, AYAA is proud to present an interview with Spencer Claus. Spencer has performed at many theatres around the Phoenix area as roles like Link Larkin in Hairspray (Desert The 25th Annual Putnam Country Spelling Bee (Desert Stages). In addition to his time in the spotlight on stage, Spencer also does make up for shows. This year, he did the make up design for Spotlight's Spring Awakening and DFT's The Crucible. Spencer does make up freelance for theaters and personal clients.
Foothills), Ren in Footloose (Desert Stages), and Steward in Into the Woods (Valley Youth Theatre). At this year's NYA awards, Spencer was nominated for his roles as Ren, Link, and Mitch Mahoney in

Full Real Legit Name
Spencer Casement Claus

Where were you born?
Scottsdale, AZ!

What’s home like? Brothers? Siblings? Parents? Pets?
I live at home with my parents and no siblings -- although I sometimes fight for attention from my pets like we were siblings. I have two cats, three dogs, four horses, and twenty chickens. We used to have a goat too, but the coyotes (or a mountain lion) got to her two Novembers ago. She was mean, anyways.

When and why did you start performing?
My first show was a school show in first grade, but really in fifth grade I played the Emperor in the Emperor’s New Clothes during a summer camp. I had also been a total ham and I think my parents -- both actors who met in Shakespeare class -- knew that this would be a good path for me. Before that, I was a dancer for nine years, so the transition from dance to theatre wasn’t too much of a shock - I was used to being onstage.

First show you ever saw?
I think I was three or maybe four and I saw Beauty and the Beast at Rocky Mountain Repertory in Grand Lake, Colorado. I don’t remember any of it, but my mom tells me that when the show was over I leaned over to her and said “make them do it again!” I think that’s pretty adorable. The first show I remember seeing was The Tempest at Oregon Shakespeare Festival -- the best theatre in the whole world. It was amazing and I’m sure I slept through most of it, but I have a very specific image of sitting in the third row watching Antonio sink into the stage.

First Broadway show you ever saw?
I went to New York for the first time in 2013 and my first real Broadway show was Pippin! I love saying that was my first show because it’s one of my absolute favorites (if not my favorite) and I saw the entire revival cast. After that, I saw Wicked, Book of Mormon, and Matilda, but technically Pippin was the first.

Most influential show you ever saw? Why was it so influential?
I have to say Midsummer Night’s Dream at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, Oregon. It was the first time I really remember seeing Shakespeare (a year after the Tempest) and the way that it was staged was so amazing. It was set in a disco nightclub atmosphere and was very mod. It was my first exposure to Shakespeare being done differently and wildly and I think that gave me the ability to imagine anything on stage. The next night I saw a Western-style Comedy of Errors which was pretty amazing too. I think OSF as a whole has been absolutely formative in my theatre career.

Claus with the cast of Spotlight Youth Theatre's Spring Awakening.
Favorite show you’ve ever been in? Why?
Oh don’t make me answer that! I love every show for a different reason! I think I’m picking two: Spring Awakening at SYT and Hairspray at DFT. Both shows were very, very, very different but had important meanings. If I had to pick one, maybe Spring Awakening just because I’m in love with the music and story. It ended about a month ago and I still can’t listen to the soundtrack without crying. The cast became so close, and I think that happens with any show that is so controversial. Every cast member will always hold a special place in my heart. Shout out to my dressing room sisters!

Most challenging acting experience? Why?
Playing Lady Macbeth in my school’s production of Macbeth! I have always loved the show as the classic thriller. I had a chance to meet with the amazingly talented Robin Goodrin Nordli (who played Lady Macbeth in OSF’s production of Macbeth) to go over how to play the part. There are so many intricacies with the character alone and playing it as a man adding so many different layers to it! It was hard to get into the groove of the character but eventually had a huge payoff. Especially when I came onstage in my high heels, blood, and my underwear (for a school show!).

Favorite character you got to play this year?
Well technically I’ve only played one this year, but I think it would be my answer no matter what. I loved playing Georg in Spring Awakening. Our director (Kenny Grossman) sat with us individually and talked to us about our characters. Even before that I had imagined Georg as the bullied nerd who had grown cold to others and internalized most of his emotions and as a result became very bitter and quite mean. Kind of like of a Chip Barfee, but whose friend kills himself.

Favorite person you got to play opposite of this past year? (Romantically or otherwise)
You can’t make me do this!!! I haven’t really had a chance to play opposite someone romantically for a while since Hairspray, with the AMAZING Lily Castle. However, each Spring Awakening show, Jasmine Bassham and I would jump opposite each other each “Totally Fucked” and it was AWESOME. So I guess Lily for romantic and Jasmine otherwise.

What was the experience of playing Ren in Footloose at Desert Stages like? What are the qualities of Footloose that you think make it such a popular show?
It was so fantastic. I hadn’t worked at Desert Stages for quite a few years before that and I was asked to come in and sing for the parts of Ren and Chuck. I sang my Liza Minelli song and got the part on the spot. You’d never think that Liza would convey Ren, but hey, it worked. I made so many fantastic friends during the process of that show. There was a group of about seven of us that just became inseparable. I met the love of my entire life forever and ever and always with rainbows, Anissa Griego. I think Footloose is the lite version of Spring Awakening actually -- it’s teen angst, but without the suicide or abortion. Plus, the score is fantastic. Although I’d maybe pass on singing tenor while doing flips again.

You were nominated for an NYA for playing Link Larkin in Hairspray. Why do you think the story of Hairspray still resonates today? You also won a Broadway World Award for this role. What do you think were the advantages and disadvantages of the Broadway World Awards this year?
I think that racism is still very important in everyone’s life today, whether it affects you directly or not. We see on the news what happens to black youth around the country and I think that Hairspray does a fantastic job of capturing that dynamic. It’s easy to digest but not sugarcoated.
I actually had never been nominated for the BroadwayWorld Awards before, so I don’t have a lot of context! I think everyone who was nominated alongside me were all just as deserving of the recognition and the award. But honestly, I have no idea what happens. Do I get a trophy? A puppy? I want a puppy.

Claus backstage at BASIS Scottsdale's
 The Crucible as John Proctor.
You did make up and hair for Spotlight’s recent production of Spring Awakening and Desert Foothills' the Crucible. Do you enjoy the technical aspects of theatre? What was your design concept for those shows?
I enjoy certain technical aspects of theatre. I don’t think I could ever be a lighting designer or a set constructor -- the really technical stuff. The artistically technical side of theatre is what I really love. I’ve done almost everything: I’ve directed, choreographed, set designed, costume designed, and styled shows. The only thing left is musical direction, but I can’t play the piano so I think that’s right out. I’ll leave that up to Mark Foreman. While I love being onstage, there are some shows that i just feel very passionate about and want to communicate a certain message about.
I loved loved loved working on these shows. The Crucible was fun for me to design because a couple months prior I finished up a run of playing John Proctor at my school, so I had a really good grasp of the show and it’s characters. I’ve also been obsessed with the play and the movie for years, so that helped. My concept for The Crucible was largely sickness and tiredness. I wanted the audience to see how the characters became increasingly sick and weak throughout the show. There are a lot of makeup tricks used to make someone appear sicker than they actually are which I loved making use of.
Spring Awakening was my favorite show to makeup design for. I had the chance to work alongside the beautiful and talented Angel Demichael working on hair. I actually had the most trouble deciding what direction to go in with that show. Part of me wanted to go totally punk - boys with eyeliner, girls in dark lipstick. Then the other part of me wanted to go plain and shiny and idyllic, lots of shine and pale faces with dark lips. That’s the direction I ended up going with. I think it was the best choice because that appearance of beauty and idyllicism is what so beautifully juxtaposes with the darkness and anger of the show. A lot of highlighters on the actors. My favorite part was adding a certain product to each actor as they became “tainted” by the darkness. It was a blue highlighter (Monster from ColourPop, if anyone cares) that when onstage under the lights creates a very blue and ethereal glow. Ilse and Martha started off the show with the product on since their ruin took place before the show begins. At the beginning of Act 2, after Wendla and Melchior consummate their relationship, they are revealed to have the same glow. Before Moritz kills himself, the audience sees he has the same glow. I doubt anyone in the audience or in the cast noticed, but it gave me some sort of personal artistic satisfaction.


You play a lot of “male ingenue”-y type characters. What do you enjoy about these types of roles? What do you think are the disadvantages of these parts?
These parts seem to be very 2-Dimensional so I always do my best to add depth to them, whether in comedy or some kind of drama. In Footloose, I tried to make obvious Ren’s distress over the absence of his father and add some depth in that way. Link was actually really hard to work with. I tried to add as much humor as I could but there isn’t a lot written into the part. It’s all about the delivery and reaction!

Claus in 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee with
Peyton Woolf and Stokley Berg at Desert Stages.
It seems like The 25th Annual Country Spelling Bee has been re-popularized around the Phoenix metro area. You recently played Mitch Mahoney in Desert Stages production. What was that experience like? What makes this show popular? What’s your favorite part of the show?
I think what makes it so popular is that it’s different every time you see it! Not only that, but it is BRILLIANTLY written. I have never disliked a production that I saw. Playing Mitch Mahoney was amazing for two reasons. One, because I got to riff, play a gay dad, and sing the most heartbreaking song in musical theatere (The I Love You Song). And two, we got to do a weekend remount of the production, which is kind of unheard of for youth theatre. We sold out every single performance of both runs. My favorite part of the show has to be the finale of Act 1, when I got to sing my big song. Mitch stays quiet for almost all of Act 1 and then comes alive with this huge 11 o’clock number which is crazy fun and gospel. I loved it.

Orin Scrivello (the Dentist) in Little Shop of Horrors is an awesome comedic villain role. How did that experience differ from other parts you played last year?
For a very long time, being a pretty young kid with a bass voice, I was cast in the all of the villain roles. When I got the chance to play Orin, I had to combine the character traits of the classic archetype villain with an actual human -- you can play 2-Dimensional Disney villain with a show like Little Shop. It was definitely the wackiest part I got to play and I had so much fun playing opposite of Hannah Whited as Audrey. My favorite part was "Do It Now", flailing on the floor with the gas mask my mom made me (from real dentist masks). Poor Zach Zupke, I scared him every night.

Dream role? Dream role of the opposite sex?
Oh sooooo many! The biggest dream role I have is the Leading Player in Pippin. For a really long time I just wanted to be Thenardier in Les Mis, which I would still love to play. After that, the Emcee in Cabaret (a very Leading Player part), Moritz or Melchior is Spring Awakening, and Audrey II in Little Shop. Any part in Putnam. Of the opposite gender, in a play I would love to be Elizabeth Proctor in The Crucible. In a musical, Lenora in Cry-Baby or Pamela in Head Over Heels. OH! Martha or Ilse in Spring Awakening. That would be amazing.

Theatres in Arizona you would love to work with, but haven’t?
I honestly want to work with every theatre! I would love to work at ABT and Hale the most, I think. And PT!

Craziest stage experience (mishap, funny improvised joke, etc.)?
I’ve been fortunate enough to not have any major disasters! I think the funniest one was having to not come on in my shoes for the finale of Footloose. I have a super quick-change between the last scene and the final number and it was always close and one night I just didn’t make it! Other than that, Putnam always had some kind of improvised line. There’s a part in the show right before my big song where the whole stage is frozen except for me and I’m just kind of screaming. Every night, I would sit down next to one of the audience members and get quiet and then yell and usually they would jump a little bit. One time though, this guy really jumped, like out of his seat. The audience loved it and I got to riff on that for a little bit.

Weirdest show you’ve ever been to? (Whether it be the nature of the show, casting decisions, etc.)
At OSF, they do some original shows that are pretty wacky. Two stand out. A show called Willful and a show called Secret Love in Peach Blossom Land. Actually, the last one made some sense after reading some articles on it, but still didn’t make a lot of sense. Willful was just ridiculous.

Favorite costume you’ve ever worn? Least favorite?
Claus as Link Larkin in DFT's Hairspray with Emily McAtee and
Kiara Adams
I really like my Link Larkin sharkskin suit that I wore during the finale. It was very form-fitting and slimming and it was easy to move in. That was a tough quickchange though!
My costume for the Steward in VYT’s Into the Woods was always riding up, but it was super easy to take off which is something I always appreciate.

Best youth production you have ever seen?
Is it bad to say Spring Awakening? Because if it is, then Spring Awakening. If it isn’t … Spring Awakening.

What is your go-to audition song?
It’s so bad because it breaks all of the rules! My go-to is always “My Own Space” from the Act. It is not my age nor my gender. It was originally sung by Liza Minelli. That should give you some idea. It is amazing though and I nail that E at the end every time, so it works.

Advice for young performers? Auditions? Behavior? Life?
Put yourself out there! Don’t be afraid to e-mail directors and ask about auditions or ask if you can come in late, don’t be afraid of them. The worst that can happen is they say no, the best that can happen is you end up being in an amazing show. I think that’s a pretty good payoff.
Before I go to auditions and callbacks, I listen to a playlist I made for myself awhile ago to get me psyched up. It’s kind of like my “I’m the baddest b*tch here and I’m gonna win it.” I listen to Candy Store from Heathers a lot on that soundtrack. But at the same time, go in to auditions and callbacks humble and with no preconceived notions about your talents relative to the others in the room. It’s a weird dichotomy but it works for me.
Rest your voice!!! I’ve been on a month long voice rest and my throat has never felt better. Drink lots of water, stay away from too much salt or carbonation, drink tea, stay away from spicy stuff (which is always the hardest for me). Work out every once and awhile, take some random dance classes. It’s always good to feel good.

Favorite actors and actresses? Stage? Screen?
Stage? Julia Murney. Forever and ever. Her vibrato is to die for. Also, Bonnie Milligan has the best voice of any rising star today (in my opinion). Billy Porter, Mandy Gonzalez, Saycon Sengbloh, Lilli Cooper, Jonathan Groff, Matt Doyle … too many to name.
Screen? I’m a sucker for Tina Fey. I love Amy Poehler, Adam Devine, Mindy Kaling, Samantha Bee, John Stewart, Amy Schumer, and Matt Damon. I always like anything Melissa McCarthy is in.

Favorite plays?
Failure: a Love Story, The Crucible, Long Day’s Journey Into Night, A Streetcar Named Desire, All the Way, the Great Society. So many more.

Favorite musicals?
Pippin, Head Over Heels, Cry-Baby, Hairspray, Spring Awakening, Into the Woods, Good For Me, Little Shop of Horrors.

What is the best showtune of all-time?
It’s not very “showtune”-y, but I think Dark I Know Well from Spring Awakening is the best song to be written in musical theater. The I Love You Song from Putnam and Screw Loose from Cry-Baby come close.

Musical/play on Broadway currently you’re dying to see?
I guess Hamilton! But if I can go into the future a bit, Waitress. I am Sara Bareilles’s number one fan and I’m in love with the music. For a play, I’m going into the future to see The Crucible. I’ve waited so long to see actors of color in the show outside of the role of Tituba. I also would kill to see the Color Purple!

Favorite movie? TV Show?
Movies: Heathers, Young Frankenstein, Obvious Child.
TV Show: 30 Rock. Forever and ever and ever and ever. And X-Files!

Secret guilty pleasure?
Salt and pepper pistachios (which are terrible for my voice!) and Trader Joe’s cookie butter. Not together. That would be gross. And Starbucks. And Baby Mama (the Tina and Amy movie). And Fanta soda. And spicy food. So many. But I try not too feel too guilty.


Personal mantra(s)?
If you f*** it up this time, you can kill it the time after that. Theater is a momentary experience and people are more likely to remember something amazing over a complete biff.

Performer you would die to perform with?
Bonnie Milligan, ugh to be onstage with her while she was belting her face off … I think I would die. Her, Billy Porter, or Jonathan Groff, Lilli Cooper. I have so many people that I think are so talented, I would love to.

How do you feel about the atmosphere of youth theatre around Arizona? What do you like about it? What do you feel like can be improved?
I feel like there’s a growing sense of competition among theatres. Everyone knows that certain theatres have their certain actors -- “Oh yeah, s/he’s a ____-kid.” There’s growing animosity between these groups and it’s kind of unsettling. Just last night, there was a Twitter feud between two theatres, which I regret to say I got involved in. It’s not fun for anyone and whoever gets involved feels kind of guilty and dirty afterwards. I think people need to realize that we’re all in this business because we love theatre and we love performing and we’re not here to create disturbances in the peace. People might have individual histories with each other, but I think it’s important to remember that we all love each other. There really is no other community like the theatre community. I support all theatres and all actors and I think every other young performer would say the same. Part of the reason why I love theatre so much is because of the community aspect.

Claus as Charlemagne in Pippin at Desert Foothills Theatre
Most underrated show?
Failure: a Love Story. It was written a few years ago by Philip Dawkins and is the most beautifully and cleverly written play I’ve ever read. It’s very hard to explain, but I would say that it’s a romantic comedy all about death. That sounds weird, but it doesn’t do it any justice. I would love to direct it.

What’s your “adult” plan? Keep performing professionally or…?
I’m also a makeup artist, so I plan on keeping some income flow during college by doing that, but my longterm plan is to absolutely remain a performer. Whether it takes me to screen or stage or even writing, I’m not sure, but performing is my life.

Upcoming projects?
I’m in rehearsals for Failure at my school right now where I’m playing Mortimer Mortimer. After that, I have some auditions, so we’ll see where that goes!

Young actor/actress in the Phoenix area you'd love to perform with?
Kale Burr, Jessie Jo Pauley, Dale Mortenson, Tatum Zale, Cami Benton, Ali Whitwell, Carly Grossman. I think I’ve already performed with everyone else!


Thank you to Spencer for doing this interview with me! His has been one of my favorites (if not my favorites) to read. We have a few more interviews lined up, so hopefully I get some responses soon. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment