Thursday, May 5, 2016

AYAA Talk Back: Dream Roles

Hi, everyone! It is time for another AYAA Talkback! This time around, I asked about dream roles. Two questions:

1) What is your musical theatre dream role? Why?
2) What is your dream role of the opposite sex? Why?

Thank you to everyone who answered. I am so excited to share your thoughts.

"My dream role would either be the Phantom either in Phantom or Love Never Dies or Jamie from Last Five Years. The Phantom would be a challenge but I think it would be beautiful to portray a mistreated, broken dejected character and show his side of agony but show his endless pursuit of love and acceptance through the most exceptional ballads for the male voice. Jamie, on the other hand, is a great character because he is essentially a ticking time bomb and a 'slave to fame and success' who has several solo songs that are heartbreaking that require a great deal of emotion and authenticity that I would be excited to take on." - Tim Eversole

"Nabulungi, because of Sal Tlay Ka Siti." - Vinney Pugliese

"Opposite sex, Tevye from Fiddler on the Roof. Such a witty fun role that also has a lot of heart behind it." - India Chudnow

"My dream role is probably Fiona from Shrek the Musical, because she's super funny! My dream role for the opposite sex would probably be Donkey, because oh my gosh the character is hilarious! Plus he has the best songs!" - Chloe Alexander

"My dream role is Lola/Simon from Kinky Boots. I love the shear depth this role has as well as the amazingness that is playing this role.  Another dream role is Judge Claude Frollo from Hunchback of Notre Dame. Frollo is truly a twisted character and he is so much more than a bad guy, he represents the evil in society." - Mark Munoz

"Dream role (one of them): Jerusa from Daddy Long Legs. She is a dreamer and a witty writer with ambition and positive attitude. She is very close to the father figure in her life, even though she doesn't know his true identity. In a world of too many females with tragic backstories, Jerusa turns her orphanage life into a strength, defining what it means to bloom where you are planted.
Male role (one of MANY): Carmen Ghia from The Producers! He cracks me up despite being in only a few scenes, yet he has the potential to be the most memorable character despite not being a lead. If I can succeed as Carmen, I would have enough confidence to try out some more lead roles. Can you believe Roger Bart was also the original Dr. Frankenstein in the other Mel Brooks' musical, Young Frankenstein? Show-stopper! FABULOUS!" - Jaclyn Stack

"Reno Sweeney in Anything Goes because I've always wanted to be play such a feminist/female empowering leading character plus she gets some of the most iconic solos in theatre/jazz history." - Connor Baker

"Dream role is Edward Bloom in Big Fish. Such an intriguing musical and role. He has such a beautiful and ginormous story and the way it ends is just touching and brilliant." - Bailey Gorman

"My dream role is Carrie in Carrie. Carrie is such an interesting and emotional character that would be a great challenge to play and the music is just amazing. My dream role of the opposite sex would be J.M. Barrie in Finding Neverland. First of all, I am in love with the music and second of all, his role is so amazing and intriguing throughout the show!" - Sophia Baviashi

"I think Veronica from Heathers is my biggest dream role currently because everything about it would be a huge challenge and it would expand my abilities soooo much as both a singer and actor. For opposite sex characters it would probably be a tie between Leaf Coneybear from Spelling Bee because it would be so much fun, and Peter from Bare because of how unique that show is musically and of course because of how interesting his emotional journey is." - Darian Lorrain

"Dream role has to be Dewey Finn in School of Rock. I absolutely adore Jack Black, he's been one of my heroes for a long time, and the classic rock vibe that Webber created for the musical is incredible to listen to and I'd love to play it." - Bryce DiLullo

"I have to play Elle Woods before I die. That is all." - Josh Frankowski

"My dream role has to be Dr. Henry Jekyll/Edward Hyde in Jekyll & Hyde the Musical. I've always been fascinated by the duality of that character and I think it would be a fun challenge, both physically and vocally, to portray." - Noah Delgado

"Shrek, of course, because Shrek is Shrek." - Chris Braddock

"Opposite sex dream role is D'Ysquith family in Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder because each relative is absolutely ridiculous in their own unique way and what's better than one death scene? 8 epic death scenes." - Summer Farnsworth

"Dream role is Christine in Phantom, has been since I was a wee child! Natalie in All Shook Up would be rad, too. Dream role in opposite sex right now is Alexander Hamilton, or really anyone in Hamilton. But Alexander is my first pick. #longliveLin" - Emma Welch

"Dream role: definitely ensemble in pretty much any show. All the singing and dancing and no lines to memorize, Would love to be a Newsie." - Emma England

I loved reading all of these responses. Look out on FB for the next Talkback question.

No comments:

Post a Comment