Thursday, June 30, 2016

AYAA Interview: Kaleigh Feuerstein

Kaleigh Feuerstein is a dedicated young actress from Chandler, AZ! Kaleigh has performed with a multitude of theatres, including Studio 3 Performing Arts, Actor's Youth Theatre and Desert Stages and has performed in over 35 shows. She is most known for her portrayals of Jasmine in Aladdin and Lucy in You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown (NYA Award), both at Studio 3. Outside of theatre, Kaleigh participates in show choir and competitive dance. During breaks from school, Kaleigh assists with theatre camps for kids. Currently, Kaleigh is playing Tracy Turnblad in Hairspray at Actor's Youth Theatre. Although it is a mostly sold out run, AYT recently added a Friday matinee at 3 PM (tickets available at ayt.ticketleap.com) and you can always come by a box office an hour before shows and see if there are any cancelled tickets!

Full Real Legit Name
Kaleigh Nicole Feuerstein

Where were you born?
Chandler, AZ

What’s home like? Brothers? Siblings? Parents? Pets?
I have two brothers, Tanner and Hunter. I have a dog named Coco (who is my BEST friend) and two wonderful parents :)

Kaleigh as Princess Jasmine with Tucker Abney in Studio 3's
production of Aladdin Jr. 
When and why did you start performing?
I started performing in spring of 2006 at Desert Stages Theatre in the production of Aladdin Jr. I started performing because I have been a drama queen since day 1 and was singing before I spoke for the first time, and my mom saw an audition notice so she forced me to go.

First show you ever saw?
First show I ever saw (I think) was Willy Wonka.

First Broadway show you ever saw?
Surprisingly, I have NOT been to New York to see a show on Broadway. My first national tour show was (again, I THINK) Beauty and the Beast. BUT- I will be headed to NYC in July for the Open Jar Theatre program where I will get the opportunity to see Waitress, The Color Purple, Something Rotten, and Shuffle Along!!

Most influential show you ever saw? Why was it so influential?
The most influential show I have seen was probably Les Mis at Greasepaint years ago. The vocals, choreography, and emotion the actors emitted were so real and close to home. Les Mis is already a powerful show by itself, but this production really just was all around outstanding. You could see every emotion in the actors faces as well as eyes and it was just so powerful.

Favorite show you’ve ever been in? Why?
This is a really tough question, as I have loved so many shows I have been a part of! I would have to say Legally Blonde with Studio 3 is one of my top though. It was a teen show, so only kids 13-19 were in it, which was really nice. The show was so much fun and Emma England helped to create an amazing set, and CRAZY choreography. The cast was so close and the show was really just a great experience.

(A/N: I was also in this production with Kaleigh and it was crazy fun!)

Most challenging acting experience? Why?
My most challenging acting experience was definitely Jasmine in Aladdin at Studio 3. Although she is a princess, she is also a very realistic character, wanting something more than what her restricting father wants for her. It was challenging to have to show both those sides and having the stark contrast of being the ingenue and also being fierce and opinionated.

You were in the ensemble of Bonnie and Clyde at Actor’s Youth Theatre this past fall. What were the pressures of putting on that production? What do you think are the benefits and drawbacks of a youth theatre mounting Bonnie and Clyde? Do you prefer performing in more serious pieces or comedies?
AYT was the first theatre in Arizona to receive rights to put on this show, so that put on a ton of pressure, as no one had seen a cast of teens perform such a serious, realistic show. Bonnie and Clyde is a real story, and the characters all were real people years ago, so there was an added pressure to emulate the story a certain way. We all really had to study the time period and the story of these two criminals to understand our characters in order to correctly tell a story. I think a youth theatre performing a dark show such as Bonnie and Clyde gives actors a really challenging yet rewarding experience. Most shows for youth theatre don't have this dark and serious feel, so putting on this production helped young actors broaden their horizons to performing in a totally different style than they are used to. I prefer performing in comedies because I find it much more relatable, however, a serious show is important to have in your repertoire in order to demonstrate your flexibility and diversity as an actor.  

Kaleigh as Lucy in You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown with
Jonah Carlson at Studio 3.
You won an NYA award in 2013 for playing Lucy in You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown. What was your favorite part of playing Lucy? Why do you think Charlie Brown continues to be such a popular show?
My favorite part of of playing Lucy Van Pelt was getting to be LOUD! Lucy is a really obnoxious and bratty character, and it was really fun to be able to act that way on stage and be the “queen” of the show. Not to mention I had some awesome castmates I played opposite of (Shout-out to Jonah Carlson, Savoy Thompson, Jessica Webb, and of course, Dylan Pinion!) I think Charlie Brown continues to be popular because the characters in the peanuts gang have been around for so many years. Parents and grandparents, our generation, and the future generation will all watch the peanuts gang cartoons- it is an iconic group of cartoon characters. Putting these lovable characters onto a stage for a live theatre experience draws so many different age groups and demographics, so it is a popular show.

Currently at Actor’s Youth Theatre, you are performing as Tracy Turnblad in Hairspray. What have you gained most from this production and this character? What is your favorite memory of the show thus far?
I have gained so much from this show and character. Tracy Turnblad is such an iconic character in musical theatre, because of her bubbly and energetic attitude. I have really been able to get in touch with this character this show. I have gained some valuable theatre tips, and some lifelong friends. My best memory so far is the cast!!! This is the closest I have been to a group of performers, despite this being a summer show and only spending a few weeks in rehearsals and shows. I have become best friends and a big family with all my castmates, and learned a thing or two from the amazing talent that surrounds me every day. Shout out to Josh Weisler- love you bunches best friend.

How excited are you for Open Jar?! What do you hope to gain from that experience?
I am SOOOOO excited! I hope to gain more tips and tricks on auditioning (because let’s be real, no matter how many shows you do, auditions are still nerve-racking) and just the overall experience of being surrounded by Broadway stars will be AMAZING.

Kaleigh as Tracy with the cast of AYT's Hairspray
Favorite character you got to play during the 2015-16 season?
Tracy Turnblad. Hands down.

Favorite person you got to play opposite of during the 2015-16? (Romantically or otherwise)
Otherwise, Emily Wright as Amber in Hairspray.

Dream role? Dream role of the opposite sex?
Tracy Turnblad was my dream role - so I can cross that one off the list :) I would love to play Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz as well. Dream role of the opposite sex would have to be Marius in Les Mis.

Theatres in Arizona you would love to work with, but haven’t?
VYT, SYT, Hale

Craziest stage experience (mishap, funny improvised joke, etc.)?
This isn’t really ON stage, but during Addams Family, I tripped and fell two weeks before we opened and broke my foot. I ended up staying in the show and walked “like a ghost” in the background of scenes (I was an ancestor) with a boot under my dress, and was on crutches whenever I was offstage. Didnt get to be in the big group numbers :(

Weirdest show you’ve ever been to? (Whether it be the nature of the show, casting decisions, etc.)
Don’t kill me- I think Into the Woods is a very strange show. Same with Alice in Wonderland.

Kaleigh with the cast of Studio 3's The Addams
Family Musical.
Favorite costume you’ve ever worn? Least favorite?
My favorite costume was probably my Addams Family ancestor costume. It was sweaty and a pain to get on and off (due to like, 5 layers of skirts and a corset) but it was beautifully made and really just awesome. Least favorite had to be Magic Carpet in Aladdin at DST in like, 2010. Don’t get me wrong, it was BEAUTIFUL, but also made me sweat buckets and limited me to standing and unable to use my hands during the show very easily.

Best youth production you have ever seen?
Joseph [and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat] at Studio 3 was phenomenal.

What is your go-to audition song?
"Honey Bun" from South Pacific.

Advice for young performers? Auditions? Behavior? Life?
Do not give up! There will be times you get ensemble show after show, when maybe you really, really wanted a certain role. This does not mean you are not talented.This does not mean you aren’t cut out for a lead. This means that you are a true triple threat, that you can be counted on to be the strongest part of the show. The ensemble is what you make of it. If you pout and complain about it, you won’t have fun. Make the best of it you can. You don’t have youth theatre forever. It goes by fast. Soon enough, you will be 18 and unable to audition for theatres you used to live at. Keep a positive attitude and a strong work ethic, because that will take you far in this world.

Favorite actors and actresses? Stage? Screen?
Stage: Laura Osnes, Jeremy Jordan, Sutton Foster
Screen: Will Ferrell, Melissa McCarthy

Kaleigh as a Silly Girl in Studio 3's production
of Beauty and the Beast Jr. 
Favorite musicals?
Rent, Next to Normal, Beauty and the Beast, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

What is the best showtune of all-time?
"Seasons of Love" [from RENT]

Musical/play on Broadway currently you’re dying to see?
Hamilton, Waitress, School of Rock

Favorite movie? TV Show?
Movie: The Notebook (I know, im basic, don't hate me!!)
TV Show: One Tree Hill and Grey's Anatomy

Secret guilty pleasure?
Popcorn. Although that isnt really a secret...

Personal mantra(s)?
There are no small parts, only small actors.
-Gerry Cullity

Performer you would die to perform with?
Laura Osnes

How do you feel about the atmosphere of youth theatre around Arizona? What do you like about it?
I LOVE the atmosphere. Everyone knows each other, even if you haven’t been in a show together. For the most part, we are all very supportive of each other. All the young performers make an effort to go see other shows around the valley. We spend every waking minute in the theatre. Some of us rehearse 6 days a week, and then spend our 7th day watching friends in a show. I love that we are like a family, and that we are all connected through something we are passionate about, and that we all relate to each other through this passion.

Most underrated show?
Zombie Prom! So many people haven't heard of it and it has such great music. Also a ton of people haven’t seen or heard the story of 42nd Street. It has great music and really interesting idea of being a show within a show

What’s your “adult” plan? Keep performing professionally or…?
Obviously, I would LOVE to be on Broadway (who wouldnt??), however I know that may not be the most realistic choice for a career. I hope to get a BFA in Musical Theatre and also a Business degree to hopefully open my own studio one day and maybe teach musical theatre. It is so important to keep the arts alive.

Upcoming projects?
I would love to audition for some shows at Hale next season!!! Little Mermaid, Millie, Aida.

Young actor/actress in the Phoenix area you'd love to perform with
Jessie Jo Pauley, Vinney Pugliese, Julian Mendoza, Sam Primack

Thank you to Kaleigh for doing this interview with me! And make sure to catch Hairspray at AYT over the next three days!

No comments:

Post a Comment