Saturday, January 23, 2016

AYAA Interview: Lydia McCloskey

Lydia McCloskey is a wonderful young actress who has performed with many theatres around the Valley. Most recently, Lydia performed as Belle, in Hale Centre Theatre’s production of A Christmas Carol. Besides Hale, Lydia has also performed at Brelby Theatre, Actor’s Youth Theatre, and other stages around the valley. She spent some time in LA this summer taking improv classes at The Groundlings School, in addition to other various acting classes and workshops.  While she was there, she performed in a student film at the University of Southern California. Lydia’s favorite role so far has been Beth in Little Women at Brelby Theatre. She hopes to attend acting school in NYC in the near future! In her free time, she enjoys painting, drawing, horseback riding, and making costumes, and palling around with her great group of friends! Next, Lydia will be performing as a part of the ensemble in AYT's production of Sweeney Todd: School Edition. 


Full Real Legit Name:
Lydia Grace McCloskey!


Where were you born:
A little town called Quincy, Illinois. It will always be home.


What’s home like? Brothers? Siblings? Parents? Pets?
Home is.. never dull. I have two older sisters named Haley and Madeline, two awesome parents, two lovely dogs named Tucker and Pip, two great rats named Little Chef and Nux, and a beautiful steed (who doesn’t live at home, but is part of the family!) named Finn! On those rare days when we’re all at home, we like to eat food and fight over who turned up the thermostat. (It was me most of the time.)


When and why did you start performing?
Well, both my parents are very, very into performing, so it was bound to happen. My first show was The Jungle Book at Arizona Broadway Theatre’s summer camp when I was about 8 or 9. I played a segment of the snake, Kaa. I remember really hoping to play the role one of the wolf pups though!


First show you ever saw?
The Wizard of Oz when I was 3 years old. At intermission, I said “Unpause it!” because I used to watch the movie alllllllllll the time when I was little. I thought intermission was just ‘pause’.


First Broadway show you ever saw?
SPRING AWAKENING! Literally like just a week ago for my birthday! It was so spectacular.

(A/N: So jealous. Currently crying.)


Most influential show you ever saw? Why was it so influential?
Wow, this one’s a toughie. I’d say The Secret Garden at Arizona Broadway Theatre. I was going through a time where I really thought about giving up theatre. It really inspired me to keep working at it and not to lose hope or get too down on myself. One of my best friends, Lizzy Tuten, played Mary Lennox, so I went and saw the show about 500,000,000 times.


Favorite show you’ve ever been in? Why?
Phantom at the Hale Centre Theatre! It was my first experience with a pro theatre and I met so many amazing friends!


And if your favorite isn’t one, favorite youth show? Why?
My favorite youth show to be a part of was probably The Legend of Pocahontas at Christian Youth Theatre. It was such an interesting and colorful show. I also conquered a lot of stage fright by having one of my first big solos.


Most challenging acting experience? Why?
Boatswain in The Tempest at Brelby Theatre Company. I was called to step in for someone who dropped out of the show last minute, and I had NEVER done Shakespeare before! Although I didn’t have many lines -- Like, AT ALL -- it was very challenging to memorize for me due to how.. Shakespearean it was. My director was awesome though. He really broke it down with me and I think I did it justice.


Lydia rehearsing for Little Women at Brelby Theatre
What was playing Beth in Little Women at Brelby Theatre like? What particular challenges come along with a show like Little Women? What drew you to the character of Beth?
Beth had been a dream roll of mine for a few years. As soon as I heard that Brelby was doing the show, I knew I had to audition. What drew me to the role initially was the songs that she sings in the show. These days, Broadway is chalk full of belting, skrelting, powerhouse voices. Beth’s songs are such a beautiful breath of fresh air for someone who has more of an airy or light soprano voice! She’s a throwback to the golden age. Something challenging, not about the show Little Women in particular, but about this production, was working with my own mom who played Marmee! It was interesting to take our mother-daughter relationship to the stage. I had to put the sass on hold, as Beth is a total angel.


You were in Phantom at Hale Theatre in 2014. How did that show differ from the infamous Phantom the Opera? What was your role in that production? What are some the strengths Phantom has over Phantom of the Opera?
Yes! Oh my gosh I LOVED being involved with Phantom! I played Florence one of the three saucy, sassy, french Sopranos who is after Phillipe -- Christine’s beau. Phantom differs from Phantom of the Opera in the sense that Phantom focuses on the backstory of how Eric becomes the Phantom. I find that it does a good job of helping the audience really empathize with him and root for him a bit more.


\Lydia in Christmas Carol at Hale Centre Theatre.
This year, you played Belle in Christmas Carol at Hale in the same cast your father played Scrooge. What was it like being in the same cast as your father? What was your favorite part about playing Belle?
(HAHA GROSS. My dad played the older version of my FIANCE.) So, being in the same cast as my dad was actually pretty fun, although I barely saw him once the show opened! Scrooge barely leaves the stage. Playing the part of Belle was such a treat! I loved working with Danny Karapetian who played Young Scrooge. My favorite part about playing Belle was getting to use my English accent! I’ve been practicing since the first time I saw Harry Potter when I was 6 years old.


A while back, you played Nimue in Camelot at Actor’s Youth Theatre. What is unique about that show? Do you prefer acting in older or newer musicals? Why?
Camelot was a lot of fun for me! My parents once played the roles of Arthur and Guinevere, so it was exciting and interesting to experience the show for myself. What I find unique about the show is how truly funny it can be when played a certain way! I had never thought of the show as being so comedic until I really got to get into the script. As for old or new musicals, I can’t say I have a preference! There are good and bad in the old and new.


Both of your parents perform in the Valley. Do you like working with your parents? How did that influence your childhood?
I prefer NOT to work with my parents, but It’s not the end of the world when it happens. (Imagine sharing a dressing room with your mom! How can you properly gossip?!) It’s really unique and wonderful that we’ve gotten to do shows together though, and I know that these will be wonderful memories that I’ll cherish when I’m older. 
Having performing parents influenced my childhood a lot I’d say. I’ve always been exposed to opera and musical theatre, my mom always knew how to do cool hairdos on me, she taught me to sew costumes, she gives me free voice lessons, my dad’s job has given me unique opportunities to be in front of the camera, and they have always supported my art in ways that I know some other kids aren’t lucky enough to have. I am very grateful to them.


Favorite character you got to play this year?
If we’re going with 2015 as “this year”, it’s gotta be Beth March! If we’re going with 2016, my only option is ‘Company Member/Lunatic’ in Sweeney Todd! (Lunatic is very fun role.)


Favorite person you got to play opposite of this past year? (Romantically or otherwise)
ALL of my sisters in Little Women! I love you dearly, Ixy Uptadel, April Rideout, and Mia Passarella!


Dream role? Dream role of the opposite sex?
But I have so maaannyyyyyy! As of now, my most unobtainable dream role is Wendla Bergman in Spring Awakening. Someone teach me to belt! Dream dude role is most definitely Marquis De Sade in the play Marat/Sade.
Lydia with Danny Karapetian at Christmas Carol


Theatres in Arizona you would love to work with, but haven’t?
Any and all.


Craziest stage experience (mishap, funny improvised joke, etc.)?
That time during Little Women when my mom came onstage with blacked out troll teeth when she was supposed to be Marmee presenting the dying Beth with a beautiful piano. (She played a troll in the scene before)


Weirdest show you’ve ever been to? (Whether it be the nature of the show, casting decisions, etc.)
Ummm, probably this very strange original musical I saw with my mom at Starlight Youth Theatre, involving a family, a bunch of ghosts, and songs about pizza. I’m still not entirely sure it wasn’t a fever dream.


Favorite costume you’ve ever worn? Least favorite?
My super favorite costume for Rigoletto with the Arizona Opera! It was absolutely beautiful.


My LEAST favorite was my Oompa Loompa getup I had to wear for Willy Wonka. I just hated the orange makeup.


Best youth production you have ever seen?
I really enjoyed The Addams Family at AYT! The guy who played Mr. Beineke is an absolute legend in our household. He was gold.


What is your go-to audition song?
“In My Life” from Les Miserables


Advice for young performers? Auditions? Behavior? Life?
It’s so easy to get caught up in judging other performers. I think we’d all do well to just chillax and better our own craft.
As for life, don’t sweat it. Don’t rush.
Care less about what people think, live in the now, and you’ll be a much happier person.


Lydia in Once Upon A Mattress as Princess #12
Favorite actors and actresses? Stage? Screen?
Stage: Megan McGinnis, Alex Boniello, Gavin Creel, Katie Hall


Screen: Maggie Smith, Paul Dano, Zoe Kazan, Chris Lilley, Chris Pratt, Joaquin Phoenix, Kate Winslet, Geoffrey Rush


Favorite musicals?
The Secret Garden, Spring Awakening, Daddy Long Legs, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, 13


What is the best showtune of all-time?
"Memory" from Cats. It just screams Broadway to me.


Musical/play on Broadway currently you’re dying to see?
Hamilton. Who isn’t?


Favorite movie? TV Show?
Favorite movie: Ruby Sparks
Favorite TV Show: J’amie: Private School Girl


Secret guilty pleasure?
I love collecting creepy dolls. But that’s not really a secret. And I’m not too guilty about it.

Performer you would die to perform with?
Kyle Mooney


How do you feel about the atmosphere of youth theatre around Arizona? What do you like about it? What do you feel like can be improved?
I like how everyone sort of knows everyone. I don’t like how it seems like it’s theatre against theatre.


Most underrated show?
The Secret Garden




Young actor/actress in the Phoenix area you'd love to perform with
India Chudnow forever and ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment