Monday, April 18, 2016

AYAA Interview: Connor Baker

Connor is one of the more experienced actors in the youth theatre world in the Phoenix area. He started out at Desert Stages at age six, subsequently performing fifteen shows with them before being cast as Mike Teavee in Valley Youth Theatre's production of Willy Wonka. Since then, Connor has worked exclusively with VYT and Greasepaint. Connor won an NYA award for his portrayal of one of the Wickersham Brothers in VYT's Seussical, but feels he really "broke out of [his] shell" when he played Mr. Darling/Captain Hook in Peter Pan his sophomore year of high school. Outside of acting, Connor served as an assistant choreographer for Greasepaint's premiere production of Heathers and models for the FORD/Robert Black agency, through which he has done commercial, editorial and live work, including working with MAC Cosmetics.


Full Real Legit Name
Connor Bryan Baker


Where were you born?
I was born on a glorious evening on February 11th, 1998 in Scottsdale, AZ.


What’s home like? Brothers? Siblings? Parents? Pets?
I have one brother and have been lucky to have two loving parents. I have a dog that my family and I consider a younger brother, Sonny.


When and why did you start performing?
While I do not quite remember why I began performing, I started at age six in a summer bible camp musical production on the biblical tale of David and Goliath. But post-bible camp my memory is fuzzy; however, after my mom took me to my first audition over at Desert Stages, my shy self immediately dissolved in the vibrant person I am today.


First show you ever saw?
This is something I wish I knew. I believe it was at Childsplay when I was around three or four with my grandmother.


First Broadway show you ever saw?
It definitely was Wicked.


Most influential show you ever saw? Why was it so influential?
An American in Paris was the most influential show I’ve ever seen. I saw it last summer in New York and it compelled me beyond description. While the movie itself is a personal favorite of mine, the show’s fluidity, cleverness, and overall aesthetic was something that has stuck with me. From the innovative lighting and sets to the brilliant choreography, something about that show just clicked with me.


Favorite show you’ve ever been in? Why?
My personal favorite that I have ever worked on was VYT’s Into the Woods. My cast became very close while working on such a large, ambiguous show. I don’t think I have seen so many crazy teenagers work so professionally while supporting another indefinitely.


Most challenging acting experience? Why?
My personal most challenge acting experience was being Action in West Side Story. Playing a teenage gang member definitely strayed from my comfort zone, let alone playing the most aggressive and defiant Jet. My character needed a lot of understanding to be played well as my character was most extremely dramatic and expressive but still had to lead possibly the only comedic song in the show itself.


This fall, you played the Centipede in James and the Giant Peach at Valley Youth Theatre. What was playing the Centipede like? The production ended up being really popular! Why do you think it was such a well-received show? Do you like performing in shows intended for a young audience? Why or why not?
Centipede was definitely a crazy experience. While the costume was certainly something I would never imagine ever putting on my body, I got to learn a lot about Centipede’s role. His stubbornness and reluctance to James is something I have taken from this role and utilized in real life. The show itself was so popular based on its extremely well-designed score. I think TYA (Theatre for Young Audiences) is such a different type of performing and personally, has become my favorite way to perform.


Last summer, you portrayed Cinderella’s Prince in Into the Woods at Valley Youth Theatre. What did you like the best about playing Cinderella’s Prince? Do you think Into the Woods will continue to be a popular show after this season? Why or why not?
Out of all the characters in this show, Cinderella’s Prince has been the one I’ve had my sights set to play. It was truly an experience. To be able to portray someone so cruel and vain definitely was entertaining. Finding his realism while still keeping his intended narcissistic humor was such an adventure. Into the Woods is one of theatre’s most gorgeous works that deserves all the attention it can get.


Connor performing as Fagin in Greaspaint's production of
Oliver!
This winter, you were a part of Greasepaint’s Oliver as Fagin. How was Fagin different from roles you had played in the past? What did you have to do to prepare for the role? What did you gain from that experience?
I have truly never played a role like Fagin before. While Fagin definitely exhausted me mentally and physically, it allowed me as a performer in many different ways. His stamina was the most challenging but after conditioning myself to maintain strong vocals and acting, I really had fun with Fagin. After starting in Greasepaint’s production of Oliver! in ‘09 as a Fagin Boy, being able to see myself on totally opposite sides of the spectrum with show on the same stage, was such a great experience.


A few years ago, you and your fellow Wickersham brothers -- Ben Massouras and Mason Reeves -- won NYAs for your monkeying around in Seussical at VYT. What made the dynamic between the three of you so successful? What is your favorite memory from Seussical?
Being a Wickersham is all about having a strong connection with your fellow brothers. Molly Lajoie and Bobb Cooper, our choreographer and director, did a tremendous job letting find individuality in our roles, but still maintaining the unity that is essential when being in a trio-specific role.


IMG_0043.JPG
Connor as Captain Hook in Peter Pan at VYT.
Also at VYT, you played Captain Hook in VYT’s production of Peter Pan. What was your favorite part of playing Captain Hook? What did you gain from that experience? In addition, you have done a lot of work with VYT. How does VYT differ from other theatres?
Playing Captain Hook was an incredible experience. Hook was a role I never thought I would have an opportunity to play especially as a sophomore. I really matured through this role. Valley Youth Theatre is a youth theatre unlike no other. VYT allows youth to mold as professional performers through their professional atmosphere. The venues, the sets, the whole experience every show is as similar to professional theatre a youth theatre can get. I truly owe much of what I’ve learned as a performer and person to them.

What led to working with MAC Cosmetics and what was that experience like?
I was booked it with my agent and it definitely was interesting! I had to stand out and model in the weirdest, most elaborate pearl costume for two days.


Favorite character you got to play during the 2015-16 season?
Definitely Fagin.


Favorite person you got to play opposite of during the 2015-16? (Romantically or otherwise)
Sam Primack in James in the Giant Peach. I don’t think I would want to feud with someone then befriend them in the finale with anyone else.


Dream role? Dream role of the opposite sex?
Shakespeare in Something Rotten and Black Stache in Peter and the Starcatcher (#ChristianBorle). For the opposite sex, Reno Sweeney in Anything Goes and Vanessa in In the Heights.


Theatres in Arizona you would love to work with, but haven’t?
Would love to do something with Hale.


Craziest stage experience (mishap, funny improvised joke, etc.)?
Almost went onstage as Captain Hook without my hook… that could’ve turned out weird.


Weirdest show you’ve ever been to? (Whether it be the nature of the show, casting decisions, etc.)
VYT’s Joseph… that show turned amazing, but I think I’m not the only one when I say I still am confused what that show is about.
IMG_0721.JPG
Connor as Cinderella's Prince in VYT's Into the Woods.

Favorite costume you’ve ever worn? Least favorite?
Cinderella’s Prince - it was made beautifully. Least favorite? My Fagin beard I had to spirit gum on twice per show.


Best youth production you have ever seen?
Anything Payton Bioletto and Vincent Pugliese are in.


What is your go-to audition song?
If I Can’t Love Her from Beauty and the Beast. Yikes.


Advice for young performers? Auditions? Behavior? Life?
Do more shows, have less of an ego.


Favorite actors and actresses? Stage? Screen?
For the stage, Christian Borle, Karen Olivo, and Kerry Ellis.
For the screen, Leo DiCaprio.


Favorite plays?
War Horse and Peter and the Starcatcher.


Favorite musicals?
An American in Paris, Wicked, and Will Roger’s Follies.


Connor with Jessie Jo Pauley in Snow
White
at VYT.
What is the best showtune of all-time?
"Reviewing the Situation" [from Oliver!]. Hands down.



Musical/play on Broadway currently you’re dying to see?
WAITRESS.


Favorite movie?
Jurassic Park.


Secret guilty pleasure?
Alpacas and Chickfila.


Personal mantra(s)?
Laughing is important.


Performer you would die to perform with?
Patti Lupone.


How do you feel about the atmosphere of youth theatre around Arizona? What do you like about it? What do you feel like can be improved?
I’ve always loved how close and supportive the theatres are; yet, sometimes the kids are not so supportive.

Most underrated show?
IMG_0049.JPG
Connor as Mr. Darling in Peter Pan at VYT. 
Sunday in the Park with George.

What’s your “adult” plan? Keep performing professionally or…?
Getting my undergrad double-majoring in Advertising/Public Relations and Marketing, so I can go into marketing for a men’s fashion company.

Young actor/actress in the Phoenix area you'd love to perform with
I have a personal fantasy to do Side Show with Vincent Pugliese and I as the twins, Daisy and Violet and Sam Primack as the Bearded Lady.

Thank you for the interview, Connor! I actually laughed out loud (and freaked out my family) imagining you and Vinney as the Side Show girls. Thanks for the giggles and your time.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing young man! Wishing him the best of luck as he continues on with his career... Sounds like he knows where he is heading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete