Sunday, July 19, 2015

AYAA Interview: Jacqueline Brecker

(cred: Joanne Wastchak)
Welcome to our first interview! Today, we have an interview from Jacqueline Brecker, a young actress from Chandler, Arizona. Jackie started out with Studio 3 Performing Arts Academy and has since worked with many other theatres around the Phoenix metropolitan area, including Queen Creek
Performing Arts and Mesa Encore Theatre. And in this coming year, she will be starting a teaching position as a musical theatre instructor at Studio 3 Performing Arts.

Jacqueline found success in the youth theatre world, and then in the summer of 2014, she auditioned for Footloose at Hale Centre Theatre in Gilbert and landed the lead role of Ariel opposite of Connor Wince, who would become her dance partner and friend over the next year.

After Footloose, Jacqueline launched into an incredible season of seven shows at four different theatres, culminating in her current performance as Tarzan's Mother/Ensemble in Tarzan at Hale Centre Theatre, directed by Cambrian James, the same man who cast her in Footloose one year ago, starting this shooting star's trajectory.

Full, real, legit Name?
Jacqueline Denise Brecker

Where were you born?
Simi Valley, California.

What’s home like? Brothers? Siblings? Pets?
I have two dogs, Emma and Bailey! An Aussie and a chocolate lab. Two siblings, a little brother (Jeffrey) and sister (Kaitlyn).

When and why did you start performing?
I started performing when I was around eleven, I think. I originally wanted to be a pop star. Britney Spears was my IDOL.

First show you ever saw?
The first show -- that I remember seeing, anyway -- was Beauty and the Beast at DST.

First Broadway show you ever saw?
Phantom of the Opera! It was amazing. I couldn't stop crying the entire show; I was so overwhelmed.

Most influential show you ever saw? Why was it so influential?
The most influential show was probably Phantom of the Opera as well. It was my first Broadway show! And it lived up to my every expectation. It's one of my favorite, favorite shows.

Brecker hanging out with Danny Karapetian, Connor Wince,
Audrey Sullivan, Sarah Bartley, and Grace Kirkpatrick
during a Footloose rehearsal at Hale. (2014)
Favorite show you've ever been in? Why?
Hm... I loved Footloose, because the cast was so dedicated. Everyone involved with the show was so intent on creating something magical, and I think that translated well to the audience. We all loved every second on stage during that show. It was a big family.

And if your favorite isn’t one, favorite youth show? Why?
Oh, definitely The Drowsy Chaperone! It was so much fun. The cast was full of friends, and the role was unlike anything I had ever played before -- which makes sense, considering I was a 14 year old playing a drunk 40 year old.

So you were like in a bazillion shows this season -- starting Footloose at Hale and now you’re back at Hale in Tarzan. What was the challenge in doing so many shows?
Keeping my sanity! No, I'm kidding. I have been really lucky this year and I've gotten a lot of work. The challenge is probably just staying healthy and making sure that you can dedicate yourself equally to each show that you get involved in.

Favorite character you got to play this year?
Ariel in Footloose. Lots of fun dancing, awesome music, and it was such a great learning experience.

Most challenging acting experience? Why?
Carousel was a really interesting experience, because so much of Louise's character is developed through dance. It was a totally new experience, having to create a bond with the audience and other characters without saying a single word to each other.


Brecker with Connor Wince as Louise and the
Carnival Boy in MET's Carousel. (2015)
(cred: Alastair Gamble)
What is like playing a character like Louise is Carousel where most of the emotion is expressed through movement?
It was so interesting.  Everyone always says "Acting is reacting" and it is SO TRUE, especially for
Louise. When I can't speak, I become hyper-aware of every little moment and movement on stage, and I think the audience does as well. The smallest gesture, a release of breath, could say so much more than words could. I feel like a learned so much playing Louise, because I really had to stop, pay attention, and be aware of what was happening around me, and react accordingly.

Favorite person you got to play opposite of this past year? (Romantically or otherwise)
I got to work with one of my best friends [Connor Wince] a lot this year, so that was a ton of fun. It was cool to create a bunch of different relationships and partnerships with a person who I knew I could trust. It made it easier to take risks.

How does it feel to be named the National Youth Arts Artist of the Year?
It feels wonderful! I'm so excited, especially since I won alongside a very good friend of mine, Jessie Jo! It's so great that we get to share this!

Dream role? Dream role of the opposite sex?
Right now, I would LOVE to be Natalie in Next to Normal.  Dream role of the opposite sex would have to be Henry Higgins, My Fair Lady. Or Billy in Carousel.

Theatres in Arizona you would love to work with, but haven’t?
Oh my gosh, too many to name. Everyone. Everywhere. I just want to keep working.

Craziest stage experience (mishap, funny improvised joke, etc.)?
I fell up the stairs and down a ladder in the same show once. That was pretty embarrassing. Not a good matinee.

*Interviewer's insert: I was in a production of The Wizard of Oz with Jacqueline once where another actor forgot a prop that was critical to the progression of the scene and we spent around nine minutes -- really -- improvising until one of the other actor's found the prop backstage. We were terrified, but the audience loved it.
Brecker with Wince as Liesl and Rolf in Hale's Sound of Music.
(2014)
(cred: Nick Woodward-Shaw)

Favorite costume you’ve ever worn? Least favorite?
Oh, I loved my "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" dress [in The Sound of Music]. So gorgeous. My least favorite? I wore a pair of yellow "banana pants" in a show recently, and they were hi-larious. They were perfect for the role, but they were pretty ridiculous.

Best youth production you have ever seen?
Don't ask me this question! Ah! Too many great ones. Beauty and the Beast at Studio 3 was really good, Addams [Family] at Actor's Youth Theatre, Valley Youth Theatre's West Side Story was really great.

Advice for young performers? Auditions? Behavior? Life?
Soak in as much knowledge as you can! Everything is an opportunity to learn. Be gracious and just remember to do what you do because you love it.  Don't let yourself get jaded. Enjoy the experience,

Favorite actors and actresses
I. Love. Sutton. Foster. And Brian D'Arcy James. Sierra Boggess! Kelli O'hara.

Favorite plays?
I LOVE Peter and the Starcatcher.

Favorite musicals?
Phantom of the Opera, Next to Normal, Dogfight
Brecker as Millie in Thoroughly Modern Millie at Studio 3.
(2012).
(cred: Arlene Welch)

What is the best showtune of all-time?
Two of my favorites right now are:  "If I Loved You" from Carousel, and "'Til I Hear You Sing" from Love Never Dies.

Musical/play on Broadway currently you're dying to see?
Fun Home! And American in Paris. And Something Rotten.

Favorite movie? TV Show?
Peter Pan! Orange is the New Black, or House.

Secret guilty pleasure?
Dr. Pepper, and it's not even close to a secret. I'm addicted.

Personal mantra(s)?
"Thank you for being." "You are enough!"

Assemble your dream cast of any musical you have been in the past year!! (Opened or closed after July 1st, 2015 and before July 1st, 2016) 
My cast of Footloose. *drops metaphorical mic*

Most underrated show?
Drowsy Chaperone. 

Brecker as Serena in Legally Blonde 
at Studio 3. (2013). She previously played
Margo(Queen Creek) and recently, Brooke
(Hamilton High).
(cred: Joanne Wastchak)
What’s your “adult” plan? Keep performing professionally or…?
College and then yes, continue with performing.

Upcoming projects?
Something's Afoot at Hale opens after Tarzan closes! It's a super fun murder mystery musical. [Brecker plays Hope Langdon.]

Young actor/actress in the Phoenix area you'd love to perform with
So many! India [Chudnow], Sarah [Davidson] and Kale [Burr], when are we going to do a show together? Jessie Jo [Pauley] and I finally got to work together, which was fun.

How do you feel about the atmosphere of youth theatre around Arizona? What do you like about it? What do you feel like can be improved?
I love the youth theatre community! I wish they offered some more support for each other. Lift each other up! There are so many talented kids in this valley, let's celebrate that and focus less on the competition aspect!


Please comment any young actors/actresses you'd love to see interviewed next.

No comments:

Post a Comment