Friday, July 22, 2016

AYAA Interview: Steven Enriquez

Steven Enriquez, a young actor from Gilbert, Arizona. Steven started out with East Valley Children’s Into The Woods, Yes Virginia at EVCT, VYT’s The Little Mermaid. He likes to sing, sleep, and eat. Steven started in theatre in 2011 and has since worked with many other theatres around the valley, including East Valley Children’s Theatre, Fountain Hills Theatre, Mesa Community College, Mesa Encore Theatre, and Valley Youth Theatre. He’s been performing for awhile now and has won the National Association of Teachers of Singing Musical Theatre Competition (NATS) for two years in a row now. He studies voice and piano and strives to be the best he can be. He has recently been seen as The Baker in Fountain Hills Theatre’s production of


Full Real Legit Name
Steven Gary Enriquez

Where were you born?
Mesa, Arizona

What’s home like? Brothers? Siblings? Parents? Pets?
I have one brother and two half siblings and a wonderful Mom and Dad. A very supportive family and I wouldn’t change them for the world.

When and why did you start performing?
I started performing in 2011 after I saw my first show at ASU Gammage.

First show you ever saw?
The first show I ever saw was Mamma Mia!

First Broadway show you ever saw?
Wicked

Favorite show you’ve ever been in? Why?
My favorite show I have ever been has to be either 9 to 5 at Mesa Community College or Into the Woods at Fountain Hills Theatre because both shows had fantastic people in it and I made tons of new friends.

Most challenging acting experience? Why?
The most challenging acting experience for me would have to be, the portrayal of the Baker in Into the Woods. This character had to deal with so much throughout the story. From having to go deep into these woods to find the items he needed to be able to have a child, to having his child, to his wife dying. So many emotions and thoughts were going through my head throughout the entire run, but that made it exciting and I’m so glad I was able to be this character.

Also at EVCT, you played Mr. O’Hanlon in Yes, Virginia, There Is a Santa Claus. What was that experience like? What makes that show different from other holidays shows that happened in the Valley at the same time?
I had so much fun in this show. This show was written by the amazing Karen Rolsten. I loved the script and everyone in the cast. What makes this show different from other holiday shows is the story behind it. During the holidays, money can be tight and you face the reality of losing hope. That’s why I loved being in this show because I got to perform original music that spoke about believing, and how believing gives you hope.  Also, not everyone can get everything they want from Santa, or they may not be able to spend time with family during Christmas time.  This show really spoke to me and my favorite part was after one of the performances, a man had told me that his son had been in the hospital for quite a bit, and this show brightened his spirit and that he had never seen his son so happy before.  

Steven as the Baker in Fountain Hill's Into the Woods. 
You recently performed as the Baker in Into the Woods at Fountain Hills Theater. What was your favorite part about that production? What are the challenges of playing the Baker? Do you think Into the Woods will continue to be popular in the youth theatre scene after this season?
My favorite part of the production would had to have been being on stage with my close friends Haley Hanni, Haylee Klein, and Katie Male. They made this show so much fun and I would do it again. There were many challenges playing the Baker, but the most challenging part would had to have been getting into the mindset of the character. I believe Into the Woods will be popular throughout the youth theatre scene to come. It’s a show that every actor should do at least once in their lifetime.


Also at Fountain Hills, you portrayed Jafar in Aladdin Jr. Do you enjoy performing in Disney musical? Why or why not? What is your favorite memory from that particular production?
Disney musical’s are always fun. This was a difficult role for me because I was not used to playing an antagonist in a show. This was such a fun show to be involved in and look I forward to playing other villains.

Last year, at Mesa Encore Theatre, you were a part of the ensemble for Carousel. What was that experience like? What did you gain from it? Why do you think Carousel is one of the lesser performed Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals? How did MET’s production of Carousel differ from other productions of the show?
Carousel is a really complex show. I learned so much from being in that show and I think Carousel is a less performed Rodgers and Hammerstein musical because it covers a touchy subject but should be performed more than it usually is.

Favorite character you got to play during the 2015-16 season?
The Baker by far.

Steven as the Baker in Into the Woods at
Fountain Hills with Haley Hanni.
Favorite person you got to play opposite of during the 2015-16? (Romantically or otherwise)
My favorite person I got to play opposite was Haley Hanni who played The Baker’s Wife in Into The Woods with me. We had a blast on stage together and I will never forget the fun times we had.

Dream role? Dream role of the opposite sex?
One of my dream roles is definitely Shrek in Shrek the Musical and a role of the opposite sex would have to be The Witch in Into the Woods.

Craziest stage experience (mishap, funny improvised joke, etc.)?
One time in Carousel, I was helping with a set change and i tripped over the dock and landed on my back with a huge bench on my stomach in front of everyone. Oh and my pants ripped. Worse experience ever...

Steven as Jafar with Kate Male backstage in
Aladdin Jr. at Fountain Hills.
Favorite costume you’ve ever worn?
I loved my Jafar costume in Aladdin.

Advice for young performers? Auditions? Behavior? Life?
Just do what you love and don’t let anyone bring you down.

Favorite actors and actresses? Stage? Screen?
Johnny Depp or Jennifer Aniston

Favorite play?
A Long Day’s Journey into Night is a really good play.

Favorite musical?
Shrek

Musical/play on Broadway currently you’re dying to see?
Hamilton of course, along with The Color Purple.

Favorite movie? TV Show?
Honestly, any Adam Sandler movie. And Bob's Burgers and FRIENDS are my favorite TV Shows.

Performer you would die to perform with?
I would love to perform with Bryan d’Arcy James or Jennifer Hudson.

Steven as Mr. O'Hanlon with Tanner Morris in
EVCT's Yes, Virginia, There Is a Santa Claus.
Most underrated show?
The Secret Garden

What’s your “adult” plan? Keep performing professionally or…?
I would like to go to school for theatre and try to go as far as I can in this profession.

Upcoming projects?
Roger in Grease at VYT!

Young actor/actress in the Phoenix area you'd love to perform with
Lina Capellano. I love her.

Thank you Steven for this entertaining interview! I love hearing from talented young actors in the Valley!

No comments:

Post a Comment