Monday, October 19, 2015

AYAA ADULT Interview: Denise Simon

Thank you to Denise Simon for being our first interview of an adult person on the Arizona Young Actor's Alliance. Denise Simon is an acting coach and consultant for young performers who works a lot with young actors "to coach them without having them look coached." She has coached hundreds of kids, many who have gone on to find success on TV shows, Broadway, and on the big screen. She also writes articles for backstage.com about young actors for parents and kids. Additionally, she spends some time directing shows, acting and leading workshops; she also recently casted a film. Denise currently resides in New York. You can read more at the bottom about how YOU can be a part of one of Denise's workshops here in Arizona. 

When and why did you know you wanted a career in the arts?
When I saw the movie The Sound of Music at a very young age, I wanted to be Julie Andrews. I sang and acted out plays in my room all day long- it’s all I wanted to do. I guess it is in my DNA.

First show you ever saw? 
the Off Bway production, Curly McDimple

First Broadway show you ever saw? 
Not sure I can remember. May have been A Chorus Line 

Most influential show you ever saw? Why was it so influential? 
Recently, I saw The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time. It was innovative and powerful pushing my emotional and sensory buttons.

Weirdest show you’ve ever been to? (Whether it be the nature of the show, casting decisions, etc.)
I was at a performance of Avenue Q and a woman in the audience had a psychotic outburst in reaction to the puppets. At first, the actors improvised and the audience members thought it was part of the show. She was then carried out of the theatre. Very strange.
IMG_3178-245x300
What made you want to work with young actors? 
I have always loved children and teaching. I started teaching guitar when I was 13 years old. To support myself while beginning my own acting career, I taught acting to children and teens. It has always been very natural for me and I love when they “get it!”

How did you start writing for Backstage.com? What articles that you have written would you say are most beneficial for young actors to read?
I started blogging on my own website and because of my years of experience working with young performers, Backstage asked me to become a contributing writer for them. I have written hundreds of articles. My favorite for parents is How to support your child’s dream and why. For young performers it may be  how to audition well, how to relax and how to let go of the outcome.

(A/N: You can read Denise's articles on Backstage.com here!)

You graduated from Florida State University and graduated with a BFA in theatre. Do you think it is important for people who want to be actors, directors, set designers, etc. to go to college? 
I think getting a well rounded good education is very important for actors. The industry is looking for smart, well rounded actors  who have a unique voice and message.

What is Total Theatre Lab?
Career and life balance consulting with Denise SimonTotal Theatre Lab was an acting playground for young actors- a chance for them to “work out” with other actors in scene study, monologue  work and improvisation.

What can people expect from a workshop with you? 
I teach kids how to direct themselves and ask the right questions. Audition workshops are about learning how to make strong, powerful choices and taking risks in the audition room.

Best youth production you have ever seen? 
A high school version of Les Miserables. It could have been Broadway!!!

What advice would you give to kids looking for audition songs?  
Choose something age appropriate and relatable. A nine year old should not be singing about being in love. The first time a casting director is meeting someone they want to see who this young performer is.

A Midsummer Night's Dream 2013
Picture of the cast of Midsummer Night's Dream directed
by Denise in 2013.
Advice for young performers? Be yourself. Don’t try to be who you think auditors want you to be.
On auditions? Keep your nerves at home. Stay confident. Only confident actors get hired.
On behavior? Professional, friendly and authentic.

Favorite actors and actresses? Stage? Screen? 
Meryl Streep, JK Simmons (Whiplash), Sean Penn

Favorite plays? 
War Horse, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time

Favorite musicals? 
Les Miserables, Finding Neverland, Book of Mormon

What is the best showtune of all-time? 
Now that’s tough. Probably "On My Own."  My favorite audition song for young performers is "Waiting for Life" from Once on This Island.

Musical/play on Broadway currently you’re dying to see?
HAMILTON


IntoTheWoods_2015.07.07 (19 of 20)
Picture of Into the Woods cast, directed by Denise in 2015.
(A/N: Aren't we all?)

Favorite movie? Gone With The Wind   
TV Show? The Office and Curb Your Enthusiasm. I also loved 24.

Secret guilty pleasure?  
Reading People Magazine.

Personal mantra(s)? 
Master your craft, empower yourself and enjoy the journey. And…. Don’t make anyone a priority who considers you optional.

What is the key difference between auditioning for stage and auditioning for screen? 
Toning it down for film!!!!! The camera does the work. Just talk and listen.

Favorite people you have worked with? 
Charles Nelson Reilly, Burt Reynolds, Martin Sheen  and Charles Durning.

Denise and her dog, BaileyHow do you feel about the atmosphere of youth theatre around the country? What do you like about it? What do you feel like can be improved? 
I am thrilled there is so much youth theatre in our country. Kids need a creative outlet and an  actor needs to act. I would like to see more teaching going on rather than direction.

Most underrated shows? 
Side Show and Merrily We Roll Along. Both are wonderful and had short runs on Broadway.

Upcoming projects/workshops/etc.? 
I am writing a book for Parents of Young Performers- how to help their young performer have a career in professional show business. The theme of the book is how to support their child’s dream and why.

Denise will be teaching two workshops at Studio 3 Performing Arts Academy this November! For more information, check out this link. Big thanks again to Denise for doing this interview for AYAA! Go take one of her workshops this November! 

No comments:

Post a Comment