Sunday, October 11, 2015

AYAA Interview: LJ Deacon

LJ Deacon is a young actor from Mesa, AZ who started out with Westwood High School Theatre. He participated in Much Ado About Nothing as Don John and I Never Saw Another Butterfly (Superior Rating - AZ Acting Festival). Subsequently, LJ decided to audition for his first community theatre show at East Valley Children’s Theatre for their summer show and landed his first lead role, Jacob in Arya’s Rock a Video Game Adventure (and won an AriZoni!!) He is currently working on his next show To Kill a Mockingbird as Dil at Zao Theatre.  He also recently visited Utah in early October to participate in the annual Utah Shakespeare Festival, where he played Bottom/Pyramus in Midsummer Night's Dream
LJ has experienced a blessed and incredibly start to his acting career and can't wait to see what happens next! He has a long way to go!

Full Real Legit Name
LJ Deacon

Where were you born?
Mesa, AZ

When and why did you start performing?
I've always been interested theater but I just started this year (2015). It's been the greatest time ever, meeting the greatest people in the world. Getting involved with theatre is the greatest decision I have ever made.

First show you ever saw?
I honestly think I have to say Nice Work If You Can Get It -- which I totally want to say is a lie because that was only in March of 2015.

First Broadway show you ever saw?
Nice Work If You Can Get It. It was absolutely amazing and still my favorite.

LJ hanging out with some friends from Westwood High's
Drama Club.
You are pretty heavily involved with the theatre program at Westwood High School in Mesa. Why do you think high school theatre is important for young actors and actresses?
High school theatre is such a great thing if you are looking in getting into acting. Joining high school theatre was the best decision of my life. I absolutely love everyone in my theatre department and I want to thank my wonderful teacher, Jeana Whitaker, for all she has done for this theatre department; I have no idea where I’d be in life without her.

This year, Westwood is putting on the HUGE production of Big Fish. Do you think you will be apart of the show? 
I absolutely hope so! I hope to be cast as Don Price or Zacky Price. I can’t wait for this show and I will definitely be apart of the show, whether it is on or off stage or BOTH!

LJ as Jacob in EVCT's Arya's Rock. (2015)
You won an AriZoni Award for East Valley Children’s Theatre’s production of Arya’s Rock. What was that experience like? How does it feel to win a Zoni?
Working with EVCT was an absolutly blast and I enjoy the professionalism. Winning an AriZoni Award is something I could only dream of. I never expected this to happen, but of course I’m incredibly grateful and blessed. I could not have done it without this wonderful cast and crew.

Right now, you are currently playing Dil in Zao Theatre’s production of To Kill A Mockingbird. What is it like bringing such an iconic character to life?
It’s definitely going to be a challenge; some people are going to expect the same Dil they see in the movies, or described as in the book. But yet I’m so excited to portray such a loveable character. It's going to be a whole lot of fun!

You participate in a lot of straight plays (Arya’s Rock, To Kill a Mockingbird, Much Ado About Nothing, etc.) What do you get out of straight plays that you don’t get out of musicals? Why do you think more places concentrate on musicals and not straight plays?
My lack of vocal talent is why I've stayed away from musical auditions. Musicals are something I'm totally interested in and wish I could do! Musicals are bigger, better, and more fun!

Dream role?
Jack in Into The Woods.

Theatres in Arizona you would love to work with, but haven’t?
It would be an absolute honor to be with Hale. I'm also very interested in being apart of AYT and VYT

LJ in a scene from A Midsummer Night's Dream with
Westwood's Advanced Acting class. The students
competed with this scene at the Utah Shakespeare
Festival in October. (2015)
Weirdest show you’ve ever been to? (Whether it be the nature of the show, casting decisions, etc.) 
Hamlet [at Southern Utah University]. Every gender was switched, but I thought it was amazing!

Best youth production you have ever seen?
AYT’s Bonnie & Clyde!

Advice for young performers? Auditions? Behavior? Life?
Make connections! Never settle for less than your best! Always act professional, be prepared, and make everyone love you! STAY OUT OF TROUBLE!

Favorite actors and actresses? Stage? Screen?
I totally love Leonardo DiCaprio; he is everything I aspire to be.
I also very much appreciate the local actors for all their wonderful talent and hard work.

Favorite play?
The Curious Savage

Favorite musicals?
Into the Woods, and NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT!

What is the best showtune of all-time?
EVERYTHING FROM NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT

Musical/play on Broadway currently you’re dying to see?
The Book of Mormon.

Favorite TV Show?
Breaking Bad will forever be the best and my favorite TV show.

Secret guilty pleasure?
When someone gives me a free comp ticket.

Personal mantra(s)?
“I need Jesus”

Performer you would die to perform with?
Mariah MacFarlane

How do you feel about the atmosphere of youth theatre around Arizona? What do you like about it?
I love the support and the professionalism. I love all the opportunities offered to our young talented actors.

LJ as Jacob in EVCT's Arya's Rock. (2015)
What’s your “adult” plan? Keep performing professionally or…?
I plan to stay in the acting industry. Making it big isn't my concern; it's doing what I love and making a living from it.

Upcoming projects?
Other than To Kill a Mockingbird, as of now, I have NO idea. But can't wait to see what the future holds.

Young actor/actress in the Phoenix area you'd love to perform with
Joey J Grado, DUH!
{interviewer's note: don't we all just want to perform with/be in the presence of Joey?}

You can catch LJ as Dil in Zao Theatre's production of To Kill A Mockingbird from October 30th to November 14th! More info about TKAM can be found here! Thank you to LJ for taking time to do this interview. As someone who just recently got into theatre, he showcases that you don't need to be performing from birth to find success in the theatre community.

No comments:

Post a Comment