Thursday, October 1, 2015

AYAA Interview: Sam Primack

Sam Primack
Today's AYAA Interview (#3) is with Sam Primack. Sam is a burgeoning young actor in Arizona. His very first role was as “Royal Trumpeter #4” and “The Hen” in a production of “Into The Woods, Jr.” at the Jewish Community Center in Scottsdale.  Cast members had to be at least five years old, but "my mom begged them to let me audition even though I was only four." Sam was nominated for an AriZoni award for playing Woodstock in Snoopy! at Greasepaint Youtheatre at age 7 and has won 5 total NYA Awards. He has attended Stagedoor Manor in New York for the past 5 summers and has won several acting awards at Stagedoor.  (Favorite roles at Stagedoor: The Tinman in The Wiz(2015) and Willard in Footloose (2014) as well as being a featured dancer/performer in the premiere of In The Heights (2013.)  Sam also went to six callbacks and was in the finals for the role of Ralphie in the Broadway production of A Christmas Story, but then he unfortunately grew two inches during the callbacks and ultimately wasn’t able to play the role since the character had to be under five feet.

He was in a production at Childsplay Theatre called “The Color of Stars” when I was in 5th grade.  Since it’s all adults and they rehearse during the day, I could only attend school in the morning for several weeks while we were in rehearsals.  "It was during tech week for “The Color of Stars” that I found out I was in the finals for Pugsley in 'The Addams Family Tour.'"  D. Scott Withers was also in that production and was in finals for the Catch Me If You Can National Tour and "we were both flying back and forth to NYC for our callbacks during that show.  We both got the parts and were on tour at the same time!" Sam is definitely a prominent young actor in the Valley and we all can't wait to see what big things are in his future.


Full Real Legit Name

Samuel Zachary Primack

Where were you born?
Phoenix, Arizona

What’s home like? Brothers? Siblings? Pets?
I have two siblings: a sister: Lauren, 12, and brother, Aidan, 7. I also have two dogs, both golden retrievers named Cosmo and Zoey.

When and why did you start performing?
My mom says I have been performing ever since I could talk, I always used to do puppet shows in my room. After I saw my first live show when I was 4, I knew this is what I wanted to do.

First show you ever saw?
Aladdin Jr. at Desert Stages

First Broadway show you ever saw?
The revival of Grease with Max Crumm

Most influential show you ever saw? Why was it so influential?
After I saw Max Crumm [in Grease on Broadway], an Arizona native, star on Broadway, I realized that someone who lived in Arizona all of his life and had done community theatre, could make it on Broadway.

Favorite show you’ve ever been in?
The Addams Family National Tour

Sam in Into the Woods at Valley Youth
Theatre (2015)
And if your favorite isn’t one, favorite youth show? Why?
Into the Woods at Valley Youth Theatre. The cast, crew, and creative team were all so amazing and that really helped make for a really magical and special show.

Most challenging acting experience? Why?
The Laramie Project at Spotlight Youth Theatre. When you are given an opportunity to be in a play like The Laramie Project, you have to push your boundaries and the cast, and amazing director Kenny Grossman helped me to really get into my characters (I had to play a few different characters in that show) and I learned so much during that time.

You were in an episode of The League on FX! What was that experience like? How did it differ from your stage experiences?
The League was one of my all time favorite experiences I have ever done. The shoot was only for one day, which was a lot different from the five to six week productions that I had done in the past. One of the hardest differences for me was the way you have to talk while filming. In theatre, directors want you to project and be loud, while in film, directors want you to be natural and subtle, so that change was interesting.

You also had the opportunity to perform as Pugsley Addams in the national tour of Addams Family the Musical. What was that experience like? How did you get the role?
Sam and the rest of his spooky family in the Addams Family
National Tour
The Addams Family was an incredible experience for me, and to be able to do something like that at a young age was amazing. I was browsing online one day and saw that they were casting the role and the auditions were that next week, so I sent in an audition video to the casting directors. They had me come to New York for a final callback and two months later, I got the job!

How does it feel to be an NYA Artist of the Year? (Junior Division)
It feels outstanding to be an NYA Artist of the Year in this amazing year. This past year, I have been given some amazing roles and I have really been challenged. I am so grateful for an organization like the NYAs for recognizing all the incredible talent that is in Arizona and all over the country.

Do you think 13 really speaks to the experience of being a 13 year old? What was playing Evan like in Theater Works production?
When I turned 13, I was nervous that there were not going to be many parts for me now that I was not a little boy, but I also was not a true teenager, I was somewhere in between. I am so happy that Theatre Works decided to put on an amazing show like 13. Evan and I had so much in common and that really made the whole experience so great. (I had my real bar mitzvah less than a year before I played the role!)

You have been in quite a few shows based on children’s stories -- Flat Stanley, Charlotte’s Web, James and the Giant Peach (currently) -- with Valley Youth Theatre. Do you enjoy in performing in these sorts of show? Why do you think it's so popular to take children’s stories to the stage?
Sam in Joseph and the Amazing
Technicolor Dreamcoat at
Valley Youth Theatre (2015)
Yes, I love doing shows for children. My favorite joy as an actor, is to see a child’s face light up when they see their favorite character come alive onstage and in person. It gives me such a good feeling to know that they will remember this experience forever.

Favorite character you got to play this year?
Jack in Into the Woods at Valley Youth Theatre

Favorite person you got to play opposite of this past year? (Romantically or otherwise)
Sophia Drapeau in Into the Woods who played Jack’s Mother.

Dream role?
Pippin in Pippin

Favorite costume you’ve ever worn?
My favorite costume I have ever worn was Flat Stanley. Me and Karol Cooper, the amazing costume designer, worked very hard in creating the illusion of me being flat and I really loved the final product.

Best youth production you have ever seen?
Pippin at Greasepaint Youth Theatre

What is your go-to audition song?
Larger Than Life from My Favorite Year

Advice for young performers? Auditions? Behavior? Life?
If you are very passionate about theatre, or even the arts, do all the opportunities that come your way.  You won’t regret any of them because they are all learning experiences.

Favorite actors and actresses?
I love Brian D’Arcy James.

Favorite plays?
I love the Laramie Project

Favorite musicals?
Pippin

What is the best showtune of all-time?
I love Moving Too Fast from The Last 5 Years

Sam in The Wiz at Stagedoor Manor in New York
(2015)
Musical/play on Broadway currently you’re dying to see?
I would love to see Hamilton.

Favorite TV Show?
I am a huge Survivor fan

Performer you would die to perform with?
Brian D’Arcy James

How do you feel about the atmosphere of youth theatre around Arizona? What do you like about it?
I love how many community theatres are in Arizona and the variety of theatres that are open to everyone.   Our state is unique in the amount of community theatres that we have.

What’s your “adult” plan? Keep performing professionally or…?
Yes I would love to go to college and continue acting professionally

Sam is currently Earthworm in Valley Youth Theatre's James and the Giant Peach which runs from October 9th to October 25th. Get your tickets today to see Sam and his amazing cast perform!

Also, I just put out quite a few interviews to winners of AriZoni awards, so fingers crossed, I will have more interviews up in the coming weeks.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment