Wednesday, February 24, 2016

AYAA to the Rescue: I WANT TO DO A SHOW BUT HELP

Hi there, guys!

A couple weeks ago, I had a friend reach out to me and say he wanted to branch out from the theatre he has been primarily doing shows at, but he didn't know much about other theatres and what shows they were doing.

Today, I thought I would share some different ways to find out about new theatres and their auditions.

#1. DurantCom

If you don't know what DurantCom is, you need to. Durant Communications updates their sites with audition notices for stage and film weekly. Most theatres post audition notices on DurantCom around Phoenix and the East and West Valley. Here is a link to the site: http://www.durantcom.com/

They also offer Starving Actor discounts to show on the sites.

#2. Phoenix Stages

Phoenix Stages has everything: audition notices, cast lists, show info, theatre news, interviews, you name it! It's a great place to go see what theatres are doing what this season or to see what's playing. I use it a lot to help out with this site.

http://phxstages.blogspot.com/

#3. The AZ Auditions and Show Info FB Page

This Facebook page allows reps from certain theatres to post about their currently running shows and auditions. Most theatres post info on this FB page in addition to some dance companies, improv theatres, and comedy bars. If you have a Facebook, I definitely recommend becoming a part of this group. The operator is also very proficient at keeping the page on topic.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ArizonaTheatreChat/

#4. Talk to People!

Don't be afraid to e-mail a theatre and ask questions! They want you to come audition for them and to come see their shows. Also, ask your friends what they're auditioning for and advice on what they think you would be good at. Theatre is a communicative art. Not only on the stage, but off of it as well.

#5. Go See Shows

Good theatre people go see shows. I have learned a lot about acting since my friend Jackie Brecker started working at Hale Theatre. When I sit at the theatre at Hale, I get to observe people like Rob Stuart, Matthew Ryan Harris, Brandi Bigley, Mark Kleinman, Emily Evans, Laura Anne Kenney, etc. and see what they do. If there is a theatre you might be interested in, go see a show there; see what it is all about and talk to the actors if you can after the show. Phoenix Stages has the full seasons of most theatres around Phoenix on their site and posts a "Currently Playing" every week. (I would direct you towards mine, but truth be told, I'm the worst at updating it.)

If you have any more questions, please feel free to shoot me a message on FB or an e-mail at mackenna.azyoung.actors@gmail.com


*TOMORROW: I will be posting a list of shows that can still be auditioned for through August, but I will be in the middle of an Addams Family performance when it goes up at 7:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment