Monday, March 21, 2016

AYAA Survery: Twitter Polls

Hello, everyone!

So last night, I tweeted out a bunch of different polls on my Twitter account on theatre related topics. Thank you to everyone who participated and answered the polls. Today, I want to share with you the results. Hopefully, this will shed some light on the theatre opinions in our community.


#1. Best female role in musical theatre

  • Elphaba in Wicked - 34%
  • Christine Daae in Phantom of the Opera - 11%
  • Eponine in Les Miserables - 31%
  • Belle in Beauty and the Beast - 24%
Well, the Elphabas have it, closely followed by Eponine. If I had a vote, I would have gone with Eponine.

#2. Musical you want to see made into a movie
  • Book of Mormon - 41%
  • Spring Awakening - 14%
  • Fun Home - 13%
  • In the Heights - 32%
People love Book of Mormon! I think it would make a nice movie, but I've had a lot of dreams about a Spring Awakening movie. 

#3. Best leading man on Broadway
  • Aaron Tveit - 30%
  • Jeremy Jordan - 24%
  • Ramin Karimloo - 14%
  • Jonathan Groff - 28%
The Tveit love is still alive and well even though he hasn't been on Broadway in a while. He was most recently in Grease Live here in the states, but spent a few months as John Wilkes Booth in Assassins off-West End. I'm in agreeance with this one.

#4. Best modern Broadway lady
  • Laura Osnes - 18%
  • Idina Menzel - 33%
  • Sutton Foster - 32%
  • Audra McDonald - 17%
This was a super tight race! But in the end, Idina won out. I am not a fan of Idina and have to go with Audra McDonald here.

#5. Best Andrew Lloyd Weber musical
  • The Phantom of the Opera - 63%
  • Cats - 15%
  • Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat - 12%
  • Evita - 10%
Not a surprise here: the longest running Broadway musical has it. This one wasn't even close. I actually don't like Phantom and am much more of an Evita fan, but c'mon! this wasn't a contest.

#6. I am most excited for _________ to be on Broadway
  • American Psycho - 48%
  • The Crucible - 17%
  • Waitress - 14%
  • Tuck Everlasting - 21%
YES AMERICAN PSYCHO! What a great movie and it's a Duncan Sheik musical and AHHHH! I'm going to New York soon and I won't be able to see it, but I am seeing Tuck Everlasting which is also super exciting.

#7. Best play of the 2010s
  • Peter and the Starcatcher - 39%
  • Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime - 25%
  • War Horse - 25%
  • All the Way - 11%
Yep, the fun, fantasy play has it. It's a beautiful story. I'm partial to Curious Dog, but I can totally see why Peter won.

#8. Dream role in Hamilton
  • Alexander Hamilton - 22%
  • Aaron Burr - 13%
  • One of the Schuyler sisters - 50%
  • King George - 15%
Alright, granted it's three roles to choose from instead of just one, but the Schuyler sisters have it. Out of these choices, I'd pick Burr, but I would actually love to be Jefferson/Lafayette.

#9. Best musical of the 2000s
  • Wicked - 35%
  • Next to Normal - 12%
  • Spring Awakening - 15%
  • Book of Mormon - 38%
I am actually surprised by this! Wicked is such a megamusical that I thought for sure it would blow away the competition. But no! it's Book of Mormon that comes out on top. Even though Spring Awakening is one of my favorite shows, I think Book of Mormon wins this one because like Hamilton, people outside of just the normal theatre circle love Book of Mormon.

#10. Best Broadway flop that deserves a comeback
  • Bonnie and Clyde - 63%
  • Bridges of Madison County - 6%
  • Big Fish - 30%
  • Parade - 1%
Bonnie and Clyde blew away the rest of the competition! One of the biggest wins by far. However, I have to disagree; I would rather see Big Fish remount. I think with a few tweaks, it could be a really successful show with stronger themes than Bonnie and Clyde.

#11. Best Disney musical
  • Beauty and the Beast - 17%
  • The Lion King - 29%
  • Aladdin - 32%
  • The Little Mermaid - 22%
Aladdin wins it! The Lion King has been such a Broadway staple for such a long time that I find this surprising. I definitely prefer the Aladdin movie, but I don't know about the musical... The ingenuity of Lion King holds a special place in my heart. 

#12. Best Stephen Sondheim musical
  • Into the Woods - 42%
  • Sweeney Todd - 17%
  • Company - 10%
  • West Side Story - 31%
Into the Woods is the victor here. It was actually back and forth between West Side Story and Into the Woods for a while, but Into the Woods definitely pulled ahead. I guess I agree with this one. I like West Side Story better, but considering Sondheim only wrote the lyrics for West Side, I'll give it Into the Woods.

#13. Best musical written by an otherwise famous person
  • Kinky Boots (Cyndi Lauper) - 34%
  • Lion King (Elton John) - 50%
  • Bright Star (Steve Martin) - 3%
  • Spamalot (Eric Idle) - 13%
Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba! Lion King for the win! I'm partial to Kinky Boots, but Lion King obviously has a lot of love since it has been on Broadway for this long. We'll also see how Bright Star fares once it opens on Broadway.

#14. Best musical with teen angst
  • Heathers - 40%
  • Spring Awakening - 13%
  • American Idiot - 16%
  • Footloose - 31%
Heathers was definitely the musical of the moment most recently (before it got ran over by the Hamilton train). I think if it goes to Broadway, the love for it will explode even more. I'm a fan of Spring Awakening though.

#15. Best show featuring kids in the cast
  • Annie - 25%
  • The King and I - 4%
  • Matilda - 42%
  • The Sound of Music - 29% 
I am actually very surprised by this one. Annie and The Sound of Music are such well-loved classics that I thought for sure they would have the edge. But no, it's the newer Matilda which wins this little battle. I'm sticking with the tried and true Sound of Music here.

#16. I would most like to perform in:
  • Next to Normal - 14%
  • Hairspray - 34%
  • The Little Mermaid - 25%
  • West Side Story - 27%
Woo! Hairspray has it. I think it won because it's fun and modern, but not as childish as the Little Mermaid. I totally agree here; Hairspray all the way. (Granted I would love to be in all of them.)

#17. Best Broadway show of the 2015-16 (so far)
  • Hamilton - 71%
  • Deaf West's Spring Awakening - 14%
  • School of Rock - 9%
  • Color Purple - 6%
Probably the most obvious race of them all, the love for Hamilton is global. It has broken out of just love from theatre people into mainstream media. The world loves what Lin-Manuel Miranda and his team has done.

#18. Best jukebox musical
  • American Idiot - 31%
  • Beautiful - 10%
  • Jersey Boys - 46%
  • Rock of Ages - 13%
Jersey Boys is continuing to kick butt on Broadway and people are still loving it. I am partial to American Idiot as I grew up on Green Day's music, but as a musical, I think Jersey Boys has the broadest appeal.

Finally... #19. Best musical of all-time
  • Les Miserables - 36%
  • Wicked - 17%
  • Phantom of the Opera - 28%
  • Rent - 19%
Do you hear the people sing?! Because they're singing the music of Les Mis! Even though Phantom is the longest running show in the US, Les Miserables is the longest running musical on the West End. The movie kicked butt (unlike the Phantom movie) and it's a global phenomenon.

Well, that's all I have for this week! I think I will be doing something like this again in the future :) Thank you again to everyone who participated. Just a warning: tomorrow, I am entering my final quarter of high school, so things may get hectic from time to time. But I will still be working hard to bring you awesome content!

No comments:

Post a Comment