Sunday, March 6, 2016

Important and Memorable Broadway Costumes

Hi there!

So for my 18th birthday, my aunt bought me a poster with a plethora of various Broadway costumes on it. And as I sit here at 12:30 AM trying to think about something to write about and watching Project Runway, I decided to do a little post about important and memorable Broadway costumes, from Showboat to Hamilton. If you want to purchase the poster this post is based on you can click here.

The slide show is rather long as it features almost 100 costumes. I also included little tidbits about myself and my dream roles throughout the slideshow.

But first a quick word about quick changes (as per the request of Bryce Dillulo):

Many Broadway musicals feature elaborate and astonishingly rapid quick changes. Most of this work is due to hardworking dressers standing offstage, ready to go and ingenious thinking by costume crew members. Here are some recent examples of impressive quick changes.


  • Book of Mormon - In Turn It Off, the Elders all the sudden appear with vests on during the tap number after a black out. There is no definite answer I could find about how the quick change occurs, but the most widely held belief is the vests are tucked into their pants throughout the number like a cummerbund and then pull them over theirs heads in the black out like a halter top.
  •  Shrek the Musical - Fiona becomes an ogre very quickly. Esentially, in the Broadway production, they use a body double for Fiona and lighting tricks while they get real Fiona (Sutton Foster) ready off stage. Off stage, its the magic of the make up artists and dressers who get is done. 
  • Cinderella - Ella's dress transformation is absolutely stunning. Esentially, the ball gown is wrapped up in the rags and when Ella pulls a pin, it unfurls the skirt and the top part gets swept down into the skirt. 
In addition, I feel like as we get closer and closer to summer, I want to share a little bit more about myself with all of you theatre people. So along with the costumes on the slides, I put little notes about dream roles on some of the slides. 

Aside from those little tidbits, here are some important Broadway costumes.



Thank you to everyone for checking this out! I love Broadway and theatre history, so this was a fun one for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment