Wednesday, June 1, 2016

AYAA Interview: Alyssa Gonzalez

Alyssa Gonzalez is a bit of a rising star at Greasepaint Youth Theatre! When they mounted the first at-age production of Heathers, Alyssa played the role of Veronica opposite of Nathan Sheppard. Alyssa has also participated in shows like Les Miserables, Into the Woods (Cinderella), and Seussical. This summer, Alyssa is a coach for Detour Theatre Company which will be performing the Happy Days musical in Scottsdale! We wish Alyssa the best of luck with that production and her upcoming endeavors. 


Full Real Legit Name
Alyssa Lee Gonzalez

Where were you born?
Royal Oak, Michigan

What’s home like? Brothers? Siblings? Parents? Pets?
I have somewhat of a unique family in that I am a triplet. My brother’s name is Jacob. My sister’s name is Megan. We sadly have no pets; my mom Christine and my dad Luis say that the three of us are a handful.  

When and why did you start performing?
When I was little, I would always put on small productions in our living room. My first audition and performance was when I was thirteen years old.

First show you ever saw?
Oh gosh… I think the first show I ever saw was Beauty and the Beast at Gammage.

First Broadway show you ever saw?
My first Broadway show I ever saw was Wicked.

Most influential show you ever saw? Why was it so influential?
Oh by far, Mamma Mia has been the most influential show I have seen to date. I loved the character of Sophie. I can’t tell you how many times I have seen it.

Most challenging acting experience? Why?
After seeing Heathers in an Off-Broadway production, I knew that if I had the opportunity to play Veronica that would be my most challenging acting experience. My life is very simple compared to Veronica’s complex and confusing life.

Alyssa during the opening number of Greasepaint's Heathers.
You recently played Veronica in Greasepaint’s production of Heathers. What were the challenges you faced while playing Veronica? What did you gain from that experience? What would you say to theatres who are wary of doing Heathers with at-age actors?
Heathers was honestly such an amazing show, the most challenging part of this show was probably trying to remember that it was only a show. At times the story felt so real and I forgot that I was on stage. I gained the opportunity to really connect with the character of Veronica. I think at-age actors should be the actors performing shows like Heathers. We are living these experiences and almost every high school student can connect with one of the characters.

Also, at Greasepaint, you played Cinderella in Into the Woods. What was that experience like? Do you think the popularity of Into the Woods will persist past this season? Why or why not?
Into the Woods was so different compared to anything I had ever done. It is such a beautiful show that incorporated so many of our childhood classic fairy tales. I think the movie of Into the Woods definitely helped to bring a new level of interest to the musical.

Alyssa with Becca Bauer in Greasepaint's production of Into the
Woods. 
Both Cinderella and Veronica were double cast roles (Cinderella with Celine Sanel and Veronica with Tatum Zale). What are the advantages and disadvantages that come with double casting?
In both of these roles the vocal parts were rigorous, so I understood why the directors felt it would be beneficial to double cast the main roles.

You have worked extensively with Greasepaint Youth Theatre. What makes Greasepaint unique from other youth theatres?
Greasepaint to me is like a home away from home. They take great pride in being a youth theatre that challenges us as actors. They run every audition and production in a professional manner. They prepare us to take acting to the next level.

You were in Seussical at Chaparral High School. What is different about performing in a high school production versus a community theatre production?
I had a lot of fun in my school’s  productions. I felt it was more beneficial to focus on community theatre.

Favorite character you got to play during the 2015-16 season?
Veronica Sawyer in Heathers the Musical  

Alyssa with Nathan Sheppard, singing "Our Love Is God" in
Heathers at Greasepaint.
Favorite person you got to play opposite of during the 2015-16? (Romantically or otherwise)
It was fun playing opposite of Nathan Sheppard. He is very talented actor we had immediate onstage chemistry.

Dream role? Dream role of the opposite sex?
Well I got the opportunity to be Veronica… I do think it would be fun to be Sophie in Mamma Mia.

Craziest stage experience (mishap, funny improvised joke, etc.)?
When I was in Les Miserables at Greasepaint, Alex Wiltse (during the battle scene) was so into character fell over a table. He knocked it down and two glass bottles went flying off the stage and shattered in front of the first row.

Weirdest show you’ve ever been to? (Whether it be the nature of the show, casting decisions, etc.)
It was a college workshop show that was student written and directed.

Favorite costume you’ve ever worn?
My ball gown in Into the Woods was by far my favorite. It was so fun to twirl in.

Advice for young performers? Auditions? Behavior? Life?
Work hard! Never give up! Don’t let anyone discourage you from following your dreams!

Favorite actors and actresses? Stage? Screen?
Lauren Graham, Emma Stone, and Brie Larson

Alyssa as Lucy in Chapparal's Dracula. 
Favorite plays?
Peter and the Starcatcher

Favorite musicals?
Cry-Baby, Heathers, Rent, Mamma Mia, and Young Frankenstein

Musical/play on Broadway currently you’re dying to see?
Waitress and Hamilton

Favorite movie? TV Show?
Movie: Dirty Dancing TV show: Gilmore Girls, How I Met Your Mother, and Parks and Recreation

Secret guilty pleasure?
Lazer Tag!

Performer you would die to perform with?
Neil Patrick Harris. Is there anything he can’t do?

How do you feel about the atmosphere of youth theatre around Arizona? What do you like about it? What do you feel like can be improved?
I wish there was as much support for youth theatre as there is for youth sports.

Most underrated show?
Pippin

Alyssa as Kate in Legally Blonde at Greasepaint.
What’s your “adult” plan? Keep performing professionally or…?
Continuing to grow as an actor on both stage and screen.

Upcoming projects?
I am a coach for Detour theatre company. We will be performing a production of Happy Days (June 10th, 11th, 12th at Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts). Everyone should come support these amazing actors. I promise this experience will change your life. Added bonus… free admission. Also I will be attending an acting summer program at USC.


Thank you for reading! There will be many more interview this summer :)

No comments:

Post a Comment