Sunday, June 5, 2016

AYAA Interview: Grace Napoletano

Full Real Legit Name

Grace Marie Napoletano

Where were you born?
Scottsdale, AZ

What’s home like? Brothers? Siblings? Parents? Pets?
I have two great parents Ray and Barbara Napoletano, and one lovely sister Mattie. I also have a cute lil puppy Zeus.  

When and why did you start performing?
I started performing around age 5 in dance with Scottsdale School of Ballet and then I started doing musical theatre with CYT (Christian Youth Theatre) at age 7. When I first started performing it was because my mom had encouraged me to audition, but after doing a couple seasons of shows, I couldn’t stop.

First show you ever saw?
The first show I remember seeing was Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella at The Herberger with Valley Youth Theatre.

Most influential show you ever saw? Why was it so influential?
I saw Diary of Anne Frank at Hale Center Theatre and oh my. This show touched me so much, each and every character was played so perfectly and there wasn't a dry eye in the house when they took their bows.

Favorite show you’ve ever been in? Why?
My Favorite show I’ve had the opportunity to perform in was probably Grease. It’s such a fun show and I remember our entire cast was so talented and it was such a sad closing night for all “we’ll always be together”.

Most challenging acting experience? Why?
I would probably have to say Alice in The Addams Family mainly because I was only 13 when I was offered the role.

Last season, you played Alice Beineke in The Addams Family at Studio 3. How does Alice differ from the other roles in the show? What are the challenges that come with that role? Why do you think Addams Family is such a popular show? 
I think Alice is definitely more bright and happy then other characters, she also helps bring a sense of normalcy to the stage throughout the performance. One of the biggest challenges for me was the transition from the first act to the second. Attempting to change so drastically yet maintain the same overall character was a challenge. I think the show is so popular cause the shows main theme is family and togetherness. Furthermore, I think it’s one of the most fun productions to perform in because of those themes; it really brings casts together in ways other shows don’t.

Grace as Marty in Grease at Studio 3 (2015).
Also, last season, you performed in Studio 3’s production of Grease at Marty, one of the pink ladies. What was your favorite part about being in Grease? How did you offer your own interpretation of Marty? My favorite part about being in Grease was being able to do such a iconic show and perform for audiences who knew the beloved classic. I also very much enjoyed the costume design (Emma England) every single person looked like they walked straight out of the movie it was so fun. I think I tried to play Marty more sassy than she is normally portrayed because of the strong serious leads; I figured there needed to be some contrast in the supporting characters.

This Christmas, you were in the ensemble of Fountain Hill’s production of A Christmas Carol. What made this production unique? What do you gain from being in shows with adults than youth productions? 
The specific version of of Christmas Carol we performed was created for Fountain Hills Theatre so it was fun to participate in their annual tradition as someone completely new to that theatre company. It was a very unique to me because it was done in a small theater with minimal sets and projections to create most of the scenes. I think being with adults rather than children is so very different, I know I really enjoyed working with adults because it's just a more calm than youth theatre productions can be. I think I gained an understanding of what it's like to be in professional theatres because in this cast people really didn't know my age until closing night, so they treated me with the respect they would have given a fellow adult.

IMG_4770.JPG
Grace as one of the Narrators in Studio 3's production of Joseph
and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat 
(2016).
You closed Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at Studio 3 as one of the Narrators. What did you gain from this experience? Do you think it was beneficial to have three narrators rather than one?
The show Joseph is a very vocally demanding show and even with three girls splitting the role we each did sing a large part of the show. For me, personally, I thought it was beneficial to us three to split the role. With three of us performing it Emma England was able to divide the parts out and play to our individual vocal strengths in each song, plus it gave us each the chance to interpret how we thought the role should be played.

Last summer, you participated in the Arizona premiere of Big Fish at Actor’s Youth Theatre. What is important about the story of Big Fish? What is your favorite memory from that show? I think big fish is so important because of its beautiful and touching story. Almost every performance of the show moved the audiences to tears and many people relate to the story in today's day and age. My favorite memory of the show would have to be when it was closing night, We were all going around saying our favorite thing about the show and it got around to me. So I began to say how much I loved each and every person in the cast and all the mushy stuff, but then I just broke down and couldn't continue. At that point there wasn't a dry eye,  and we all had a good cry before closing out an amazing run.  

Favorite character you got to play during the 2015-16 season? 
Probably Narrator. It was so fun getting to see how much the little kids looked up to us three girls and how the audience reacted to the fun songs.
Grace performing in the role of Bonnie in Studio 3's Bonnie and
Clyde.
Grace was Bonnie's understudy in this production (2015).

Favorite person you got to play opposite of during the 2015-16? (Romantically or otherwise)
This season I was given the opportunity to play opposite of Reed Daniel in the understudy show of Bonnie and Clyde at Studio 3. Being an understudy is hard especially when you have to have romantic chemistry onstage after only one or two rehearsals with the person, but I had such a easy and wonderful time being his Bonnie for one night. Otherwise I LOVED playing opposite Jessica Sinodis in The Addams Family.  We had such a contrast in characters and mannerisms that caused much amusement for the audience.  

Dream role? Dream role of the opposite sex?
Vivienne in Legally Blonde or Baker's Wife in Into the Woods. Gabe in next to normal.
Theatres in Arizona you would love to work with, but haven’t?
I would really like to perform at Spotlight Youth Theatre because I so enjoy the shows I see done there, and they are so professionally done.

Craziest stage experience (mishap, funny improvised joke, etc.)? 
During opening night of Grease we were doing a scene and at one point I was supposed to break up a fight between Sandy and Rizzo. As I was pushing them away from each other I lost my balance and fell to the floor landing on my foot. I felt a really sharp pain but continued on with the scene. Turns out I had a hairline fracture. I wore a boot when I wasn't onstage and took it off for my scenes the rest of the run.

Grace performing in The Little Mermaid
in 2008.
What is your go-to audition song?
“I Could Have Danced All Night" from My Fair Lady or Watch What Happens” from Newsies

Advice for young performers? Auditions? Behavior? Life?
My biggest advice for auditions is to make big choices and don't be afraid to make a fool out of yourself for the sake of a laugh. So many times I hear directors say ”I’d rather you make a bold choice and have it be wrong a wrong choice then make no choice at all”. My main advice for life is to make sure you know who you can trust in your life and who you can’t, and when you find a group of people you can trust hold on to them tightly.

Favorite actors and actresses? Stage? Screen?
Laura Osnes, Aaron Tveit, Annaleigh Ashford

Favorite plays?
Peter and the Starcatcher and The Children's Hour

Favorite musicals?
Big Fish, The Last Five Years, Carousel

What is the best showtune of all-time?
"The Cell Block Tango” from Chicago  

Grace with the cast of The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. 
Musical/play on Broadway currently you’re dying to see?
I really would like to see The Color Purple.

Favorite movie? TV Show?
Any of the Jurassic Park movies or Harry Potter movies.

Secret guilty pleasure?
It's a toss-up between watching middle school versions of 13 at 2:00 am and The Bachelor. Also, Nutella.

Personal mantra(s)?
“It not what they call you, it’s what you answer to.”
– W.C. Fields

Performer you would die to perform with?
Norbert Leo Butz

Most underrated show?
The Secret Garden

What’s your “adult” plan? Keep performing professionally or…?
As of right now I'm not sure if I would like to continue performing as an adult, but I know I really want to go to ASU, hopefully on a theatre scholarship.

Young actor/actress in the Phoenix area you'd love to perform with?
I would love to work with Sam Primack, Jessie Jo Pauley, Kale Burr, Jackie Brecker(again)

No comments:

Post a Comment