Monday, May 9, 2016

AYAA Interview: Benny Cowans

Benny is a crazy talented young actress from Arizona who has really blossomed in the last year. This winter, she played Rabbit in A Winnie the Pooh Christmas Tail and in January, she portrayed the supporting role Johanna in Sweeney Todd at AYT. Benny has many years left of performing in the Valley and we can't wait to see what she achieves!

Full Real Legit Name
Benny Rose Cowans

When were you born?
October 4, 2001

What’s home like? Brothers? Siblings? Parents? Pets?
I have 2 younger brothers and 2 dogs

When and why did you start performing?
I started performing in an actual theatre when I was around 6 or 8 years old. The reason why is because it was always super impressive and interesting to me

First show you ever saw?
I think the first show I ever saw was actually the Nutcracker Ballet

First Broadway show you ever saw?
Wicked

Most influential show you ever saw? Why was it so influential?
Probably Spring Awakening because it really shows you the emotions of these people during this time and you get so connected to the characters and feel how they feel throughout the show.

Favorite show you’ve ever been in? Why?
Annie at Hale because every person in that cast was so nice and I made friends with all of them immediately.


Most challenging acting experience? Why?
Probably Johanna in Sweeney Todd because it's one of the first lead/supporting roles I've ever played so it was hard to get used to being comfortable going full out with my character.

Benny as Johanna with Joey Grado
after Sweeney Todd at AYT (2016).
You recently portrayed Joanna in AYT’s production of Sweeney Todd. How does Joanna differ from the other characters in the show? What was your biggest challenge with the character? And in general, what challenges come along with a youth theatre mounting a production of Sweeney Todd?
Johanna differs from any other character I've ever played because she's so innocent and has such a sad past. Another one of my challenges with this character was to try to put myself in her place and try to capture the emotion and sadness of her life in my acting and singing. Some challenges that come along with a youth theatre doing Sweeney Todd is just the music is so complicated, intense, intricate and just challenging because a Sondheim show in general is challenging to do but once you add on the layer of emotion and darkness to the show it's even harder to put that into the show itself.

You performed at Rabbit in VYT’s 20th Anniversary of A Winnie-the-Pooh Christmas Tail. What was your favorite part about playing Rabbit? What kind of challenges come with playing a role in a 20 year long tradition? What do you think makes the show such a popular holiday tradition?
My favorite part about playing Rabbit was that I could be absolutely crazy and it would still fit my character. Some challenges hat come with playing a role in a 20 year long tradition is just knowing that you're doing a show that's been done for 20 years and that you need to be totally original with your character and make it different from the 20 people that have done it before. I think this is a popular holiday show because it's been around for such a long time. Plus I think it's fun for audience members who have been coming for years and they get to see different people play the same characters but with their own twist on it.

You played the Sneak Thief in VYT’s The Musical Adventures of Flat Stanley. What was that experience like? Do you enjoy doing shows intended for younger audiences?
That experience was very fun because I got to tap in that show and that's something that I don't usually do. I do like doing shows for younger audiences because it's so rewarding to see them after the show and see how happy they are with what you just did for them and to see how magical they think everything you've just done is. and just to know that you're giving them that experience of live theatre at such a young age and teaching them things that they couldn't really learn anywhere else is amazing.
What have you gained from your experiences at VYT that you don’t think you could have gained at another theatre?
From VYT, I think I have gained a sense of dignity in knowing that I'm performing at such a great theatre that's been around for such a long time. Just knowing that you've been involved there is amazing because the shows they put on there are so great and being in those shows really show you how to respect every single person in your cast and crew. To see how much work is put into those shows and experience it really shows you the magic of theatre.

If you could pick one show for a youth theatre to do next season/in the future, what would be your recommendation? Why?
I can't think of any specific shows but i think youth theaters should start doing more edgy-type shows that teach a meaningful message. Yes, it's called youth theatre but I think as times are changing and our “youth” becomes more mature and learns more about the world, different people, cultures and just gain more knowledge on people and tolerance, then being able to see heavier things and subject matter just put in front of them would help our youth have a better understanding of how people feel, think, and show them how different people are from each other.

Favorite character you got to play during the 2015-16 season?
Johanna

Favorite person you got to play opposite of during the 2015-16? (Romantically or otherwise)
Hayden Skaggs

Dream role? Dream role of the opposite sex?
Elle Woods in Legally Blonde. Edna Turnblad in Hairspray

Theatres in Arizona you would love to work with, but haven’t?
Spotlight and Phoenix Theatre

Craziest stage experience (mishap, funny improvised joke, etc.)?
One time during Winnie the Pooh, everybody in the cast was sick, so for almost a week straight we had to improvise different scenes while different people in the cast were going off into the wings and throwing up.
Weirdest show you’ve ever been to? (Whether it be the nature of the show, casting decisions, etc.)
A show called “Robo-Chicken” at Space 55. The show was like something I'd never seen before and it was so weird but, it was hilarious and I loved it

Favorite costume you’ve ever worn? Least favorite?
Benny with the cast of VYT's
A Winnie the Pooh Christmas Tail.
(2015).
My favorite costume I've ever worn was my opening costume in Sweeney Todd. My least favorite would have to be my costume in Winnie the Pooh. While it was amazingly made and looked great onstage it was SO HOT

Best youth production you have ever seen?
Spring Awakening at Spotlight Youth Theatre

What is your go-to audition song?
Everlasting from Tuck Everlasting

Advice for young performers? Auditions? Behavior? Life?
Do not get discouraged if you don't get cast. Never ever let that make you want to stop doing show. Rejection is one of the downsides to theatre and you have to go through the bad to appreciate the good!

Favorite actors and actresses? Stage? Screen?
I love watching Johnny Depp for screen and Jeremy Jordan because he's beautiful and is extremely talented

Favorite plays?
To Kill a Mockingbird, The Miracle Worker

Favorite musicals?
Legally Blonde, Next to Normal, Spring Awakening

What is the best showtune of all-time?
I wouldn't say that it's the best showtune of all time but the colors song from Joseph is so catchy

Musical/play on Broadway currently you’re dying to see?
Something Rotten, Kinky Boots, Cinderella

Favorite movie? TV Show?
Clueless and Gossip Girl

Secret guilty pleasure?
McDonalds French fries

Performer you would die to perform with?
Eden Espinosa

How do you feel about the atmosphere of youth theatre around Arizona? What do you like about it? What do you feel like can be improved?
I think it's just full of love and everybody is very nice. I like that you can make friends that have a lot of common interest. You're never gonna have a show without drama in it. So I just wish that there wouldn't be drama with the cast but as I get older I'm realizing that there really isn't as much drama as there was before.

Most underrated show?
Side Show

What’s your “adult” plan? Keep performing professionally or…?
I would love to keep performing

Young actor/actress in the Phoenix area you'd love to perform with
I don't know her, but I've heard a lot about Jackie Brecker and I've heard that she's really nice and is super talented.

Thank you to Benny for doing this interview with me! I can't wait to bring you guys more awesome interviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment