Tuesday, May 3, 2016

AYAA Interview: Hale Stewart

Hale Stewart is a talented young actor who started his theatre career "at Notre Dame Prep, but...found [his] home at Greasepaint." Hale has been nominated for two Zoni Awards, for Mercutio in Romeo and Juliet and The Cat in the Hat in Seussical, but at Greasepaint. Last year, Hale placed in the Top 10 in the 2015 English Speaker's Union National Shakespeare Competition at Lincoln Center. Ladies, Hale is a Libra who enjoys long walks on the beach and Star Wars. He will be attending Northwestern University in the fall, studying theatre. Hale was asked to interview after his NYA Artist of the Year Award for 2014-15.

Full Real Legit Name
Hale Christopher Stewart
Where were you born?
Downtown Phoenix, Good Samaritan Hospital
What’s home like? Brothers? Siblings? Parents? Pets?
I live with my mom and my younger brother. My older brother is in college at NAU, and we have a yellow Labrador named Moose.
When and why did you start performing?
I started seriously performing my freshman year. I didn’t have anything to do after school one day, so I went to a Drama Club meeting. The rest is history.
First show you ever saw?
The Lion King, when I was like 7 or 8.
First Broadway show you ever saw?
I know it’s basic, but Phantom.
Most influential show you ever saw? Why was it so influential?
I saw a production of Curtains at Notre Dame 6 or 7 years ago. It was what first opened my eyes to maybe performing in high school.
Favorite show you’ve ever been in? Why?
The Producers at Greasepaint. It’s one of my favorite shows, and it was a dream role. So many great friends were in that cast, and I had the best fun. Into the Woods is a very close second.
And if your favorite isn’t one, favorite youth show? Why?
#theproducers
Most challenging acting experience? Why?
I’d say probably Mercutio in Romeo and Juliet or Benedick in Much Ado About Nothing. I love Shakespeare more than I like most foods, but he’s a pain in the ass (can I swear?) to perform. Straight plays are hard enough because you can’t lean on singing, dancing, or any flashy stuff to wow the audience. So, not only were we judged solely on acting, much of the audience couldn’t understand what we were saying most of the time. Good times.
Hale as Leo Bloom with Cami Benton as Ulla in Greasepaint's
The Producers (2015).
You played Leo Bloom in the Producers at Greasepaint during this season. What was your favorite part of playing that character? What was different about that experience than other shows you had been in before? In addition, you have done a lot of shows at Greasepaint. What is unique about Greasepaint?
I SO loved playing Leo. Dream role. Anyway, like I said before, so many awesome friends were in that cast and it just made the whole thing so much better. As far as the role itself Leo was so high energy. I was playing opposite one of my very best friends as my Max and being able to play off of him every night was just so magical. Also, we were on stage for pretty much two and a half hours straight, so there was a lot of sweating. Greasepaint is home, there’s no other way I can describe it. It’s home, and the people are my family.
Hale and Johnna Watson as the Sowerberry's in Oliver! at
Greasepaint (2015).
In Oliver! at Greasepaint, you portrayed Mr. Sowerberry. What did you gain from that experience? What attracted you to audition for Oliver!? Why do you think the story of Oliver! continues to be popular?
Oh, boy. Oliver! I didn’t really gain a lot from that role, just because it was so small. But it was tons of fun. Honestly, I only really auditioned because my brother was. Also, my Mrs. Sowerberry (hi Johnna) told me to audition and I couldn’t say no to her. Although, to be quite honest with you, I’m not too sure why it’s still popular. It seems like it would lose steam because it's so different from modern musical theatre, but it keeps on going.
This season as well, you performed in Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing at Greasepaint. What are the challenges that came along with playing Benedick? Performing Shakespearean text? If you could play any other role in Shakespeare’s canon, who would it be?
Benedick was another dream role for me. I’ve been really lucky this year. Again, the challenges that come with doing any of Shakespeare’s shows are really tough, but you learn so much from it. Benedick was unique in that I had to go from a cynical wiseass to someone who is actually, legitimately in love (and not make it sappy), but I had a lot of fun. Also, we set it in the 40s, so the swing dancing was pretty tough. I’ve already been lucky enough to play another awesome Shakespeare role (Mercutio), but I’d love to play Iago in Othello at some point. Basically, I want to be just like Kenneth Branagh.
This year, you were nominated for an AriZoni award for your portrayal of the Cat In the Hat in Seussical. What was the experience of playing the Cat like? How does it feel to be nominated for a Zoni? Did you enjoy performing in a show like Seussical, which tends to be geared towards younger audiences?
You had to bring up Seussical, didn’t you? The Cat was different because he didn’t really have anything important to add to the story. He was just kinda there screwing things up. But I did have fun. Being nominated for a Zoni was so unexpected and I felt so special just to be considered. Honestly, I loved being able to perform for younger kids because when they saw me at the stagedoor, some of them actually thought I was the Cat in the Hat! I felt like a Disney character.
In 2015, you traveled to New York to compete in the English Speaker’s Union Shakespeare competition. What did you perform? What was that experience like? What did you gain from it?
I performed the “Queen Mab” speech from Romeo and Juliet and Sonnet 116. It was such an amazing, validating learning experience. I’m really not a competitive person (which makes you wonder why I did a Shakespeare COMPETITION in the first place) so I was kind of scared that everyone would be kind of cutthroat and try to be better than everyone else, you know? But we all spent so much time together and everyone was so amazing that we just ended up all becoming great friends. We still talk.
At Notre Dame Preparatory, you have performed in many roles, including Bobby Strong in Urinetown (NYA Award), Gomez Addams in the Addams Family (NYA Artist of the Year Award and ASU Gammage High School Musical Theatre nomination) and this year, Edward Bloom in Big Fish. Which of these characters was your favorite and why? What have you gained by performing in shows at your high school? How is working on a high school production different from working on a community theatre production?
I don’t know if I can pick a favorite from them. I had so much fun with all. Gomez was funny because I had to completely change my whole look and demeanor and everything. A goofy teenaged redhead doesn’t usually get asked to play a middle-aged Latin dude. Performing with my high school has taught me just how important every single aspect of a show is, from the ground up. Every little thing has to mesh in order to produce a great show. I’d probably say high school productions are more work but also less intense than community theatre, just because high school shows are sometimes young actors’ first roles.
Hale and Jack Rose in the Producers at Greasepaint (2015).
Favorite character you got to play during the 2015-16 season?
Leo Bloom
Favorite person you got to play opposite of during the 2015-16? (Romantically or otherwise)
Otherwise, Jack Rose. Romantically (although our characters hated each other) Johnna Watson or Bailey Smith. Also, Jack Rose.
Dream role? Dream role of the opposite sex?
Oh man I have a ton. I’ve always wanted to play Mark in Rent or Seymour in Little Shop, but trust me, I have tons more. Opposite sex, maybe Elizabeth Proctor [in The Crucible].
Theatres in Arizona you would love to work with, but haven’t?
I would’ve loved to work at VYT or Hale (just to make the obvious joke).
Craziest stage experience (mishap, funny improvised joke, etc.)?
So we had a school show for Seussical. Fun fact: it was actually my middle school that came to the show. Anyway, towards the end of the first act, the clover gets taken by the Wickersham Brothers, and our Horton had to run down the stage steps and chase them. But here’s the thing: he fell off the stage and sprained his ankle. I was off stage at the time and so I walked on to make my triumphant entrance and I’m like “Why does everyone look so… oh.” We had to cancel the rest of the shows. But our Horton was a champ; he was back for the next weekend of shows (with a cane).
Weirdest show you’ve ever been to? (Whether it be the nature of the show, casting decisions, etc.)
I went to Ruthless at Phoenix Theatre. That was just a weird show in general.
Hale playing Rapunzel's Prince in Into the Woods. 
Favorite costume you’ve ever worn? Least favorite?
Favorite: Rapunzel’s Prince in Into the Woods. Basically I wore yoga pants (super comfy) and a t-shirt with like a baggy, buttoned tunic thing over it. Easy peasy. Least favorite was probably my opening costume for Much Ado. It was a completely authentic sailor suit. Pure wool. And tight. Yuck.
Best youth production you have ever seen?
Probably Rent at Spotlight.
What is your go-to audition song?
“Purpose” from Avenue Q or “Being Alive” from Company. All hail Sondheim.
Advice for young performers? Auditions? Behavior? Life?
This applies for all of the above topics: It’s not as serious as you think it is. You’ll be fine.
Favorite actors and actresses? Stage? Screen?
I’m a huge fan of anything Ewan McGregor does. Also Chris Pratt, Kenneth Branagh, and the almighty Harrison Ford.
Hale (Benedick) with Patrick Steward (Claudio), Liam Thibeault
(Don Pedro), and Alex Tuchi (Leonato) in Greasepaint's Much Ado
About Nothing.
(2015)
Favorite plays?
The Crucible, Noises Off!, and anything Shakespeare.
Favorite musicals?
Rent, The Producers, Into the Woods
What is the best showtune of all-time?
I don’t know if “The Time Warp” from Rocky Horror applies, but it’s damn fun.
Musical/play on Broadway currently you’re dying to see?
Am I trash if I say Hamilton? Also American Psycho.
Favorite movie? TV Show?
Star Wars, end of discussion. Also, the Office.

[A/N: I've said it before and I'll say it again: The Office is the greatest TV show of all time. I'm watching it now.]
Secret guilty pleasure?
I won’t say anything specific. But I will say… Backstreet’s back.
Personal mantra(s)?
Just go for it.
Performer you would die to perform with?
For some reason, I absolutely love Brian d’Arcy James. Also, Stephen Colbert. Funniest guy I’ve ever experienced.
How do you feel about the atmosphere of youth theatre around Arizona? What do you like about it? What do you feel like can be improved?
I love it, love it, love it. The theatre community has been so good to me and everyone involved. I’d like to be able to get more cross-theater stuff going on just so everyone can meet everyone else.
Most underrated show?
I don’t know if you could say it was underrated, but I think Something Rotten! should’ve won Best Musical. Fans of Fun Home, please don’t shoot me.
What’s your “adult” plan? Keep performing professionally or…?
I’m not planning on ever being an adult, actually. But yeah, acting professionally is the dream.
Upcoming projects?
I’m taking a break for the summer probably, but I’m going to Northwestern University, studying theatre so you bet your ass there’ll be projects there.

Thank you Hale for doing this interview with me! We've been trying to do this interview since like July and I am so grateful we finally got around to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment