Sunday, April 24, 2016

AYAA Interview: Carter Palumbo

Carter Palumbo is a young actor who has performed exclusively at Actor's Youth Theatre in roles like Buddy in Elf Jr. and Deputy Dibbs in This Could Be Murder. He has also performed in three of AYT's Halloween shows -- Frankenstein, Sleepy Hollow, and The Haunted -- and their recent production of Sweeney Todd as the manager of the insane asylum, Jonas Fogg. Carter is a freshman at Chandler Preparatory and is a member of AYT's show choir, Sound Revolution. Carter is a very talented comedic actor and we cannot wait to see his growth over the next few years.

Full Real Legit Name
Carter Anthony Palumbo


Where were you born?
Arizona


What’s home like? Brothers? Siblings? Parents? Pets?
Hectic, but in all the right ways. I have a brother who is currently in Pennsylvania playing Jr. Hockey, and a mom and dad that I've been lucky/unlucky enough to be (almost) an only child while he's away. There's also a beagle/wiener dog mix (Lilly) that throws another hoop to jump through in our life.


When and why did you start performing?
Well, the first show I was in was 5 Little Ducks in preschool and I was Daddy Duck, so for that I was forced into it. But then when I started doing youth theatre it was mainly just because I liked the idea of being whoever you wanted to be for people to see and enjoy.


First show you ever saw?
When I was 5, I saw The Nutcracker. I'd have to say that was the first show I saw, at least remember. My parents say that I really liked the musical and even began to dance in my seat.


Most influential show you ever saw? Why was it so influential?
The most influential show I've seen would have to be Big Fish. I think that it's message is priceless and leaves me in tears after I even listen to the soundtrack!


Favorite show you’ve ever been in? Why?
This Could be Murder was a blast backstage with everyone and is was basically the same on stage, just a blast. I have to really thank the director, Zackary Diepstraten, for that. He really pushed the “cast bonding” and in the end, it was probably my most emotional closing of a show, especially due to its short run.


Carter with Olivia Nienstedt in Elf Jr. at AYT. 
You played Buddy the Elf in AYT’s production of Elf Jr. What was that experience like? What are the struggles of playing such an iconic character?
The experience was great! Loved the cast and crew so much! But it was a little harder since it was my first really big signing and dancing role. We got a tap number added into the show which was crazy for me, I had never tapped a day in my life, but it was still fun. This show, I feel, was also a very close-knit cast, in the sense that  we were almost one really big family. After all that’s what the show Elf is about. And of course everyone loves and remembers Buddy from the movie so I really tried keep the recognition (especially for the kids) while also making the stage Buddy at least a little different and refreshingly new. I was honored to portray such an iconic role, and the kids faces after the show was just priceless!


You played Deputy Dibbs in AYT’s production of This Could Be Murder. Why do you think murder mystery plays are so popular? What was unique about that show?
Well, I think that everyone loves to kind of think that they're a detective and they try to solve the mystery for themselves before the great reveal, which keeps them very interested. The show was also very unique in it’s humor. It kind of had a “dry wit” of its own and plenty of puns. Along with that, the creative process for the show was so phenomenal, especially with the little songs that i got to see at different parts of the show. The whole cast really came together to help me with the songs and everyone's ideas really produced the roars of laughter and applause, not for the songs but for the whole show.


This year, AYT put on a production of Sweeney Todd and you played Jonas Fogg. What are the challenges of a show like Sweeney Todd, especially a cast with all young adults under 18?
Well, Sweeney Todd is a Sondheim musical so that already poses a challenge haha. The casting of all young adults under 18 could pose another challenge, if they weren't all so dang talented!! I actually believe despite our age we did Sweeney Todd better that some adult groups.


You participated in the last three Halloween shows at AYT:  Sleepy Hollow, Frankenstein and, The Haunted. What did you like about being in these scary shows? Do you prefer being in more dramatic shows or comedies?
I just love scary things! Horror movies, stories, musicals, plays, etc! I love the creepy factor! So when AYT did these shows, I couldn't resist not auditioning! As far as which I prefer, I'm not sure. Comedies are great and so are Dramatic shows. Comedies let you relax and entertain more, but you also feel more aware that you're entertaining an audience. As for more dramatic roles you really begin to fall into your character and live their life on that stage. In short, I really love them both.


You have worked extensively with Actor’s Youth Theatre. What is unique about AYT?
I feel, and I hope others get a similar feeling, that they're just a good wholesome acting community. They are very (almost scarily) welcoming to everyone. At my first ever audition I distinctly remember Kristin Bowler smiling the biggest smile as she took the audition forms and led people into the audition room. I was a bit scared, to say the least.


Why do you like performing?
I guess I love to entertain and either make people laugh, cry, or be scared. I love to send people through a journey through what they see me doing and i hope to give them either chills or stomach pains (from laughing so hard).


Favorite character you got to play this year?
Probably Buddy, because I got to mess around onstage and Tracie Jones (the director) gave me a lot of creative liberty for line delivery (I am very thankful for that!!). Also, Buddy, at his basic form, is a good guy. Buddy wants to do good and help others and make them smile or laugh, and I relate with him that far. Also we both still have a strong belief in Santa.


Favorite person you got to play opposite of this past year? (Romantically or otherwise)
Bryce Dillulo! He's so fun to work with and always takes things over the top (in comedies) in almost a challenging way so then you also take it over the top. It's infectious!


Dream role? Dream role of the opposite sex?
Dream roles would probably have to be Elder Price (Book of Mormon) and, just recently, King George III (Hamilton). For the opposite sex probably Mrs. Lovett (Sweeney Todd) and Heather Chandler (Heathers).


Theatres in Arizona you would love to work with, but haven’t?
Greasepaint has peaked my interests since I saw Heathers there and they seem like a generally welcoming and nice community. And of course, Hale.

Carter with Danny Blankemeier and the cast of This Could Be
Murder
at Actor's Youth Theatre. 
Craziest stage experience (mishap, funny improvised joke, etc.)?
I have a few, in Elf some tables that I was dancing on in the opening number didn't get pushed together properly and my leg slid right between the tables. I had to finish the song with my leg stuck between these two tables until I was able to wiggle it loose. Then in This Could Be Murder, the lights turned off before the second to last scene in the first act and we had to have an early intermission and perform the rest of the show with our director in the aisle holding a stage light on us.


Weirdest show you've ever been to? (Weather by nature of the show, casting decisions, etc.)
That's a hard one… I'm never necessarily been to a show where I thought “Wow. This is weird!” And I wouldn't necessarily use the word “weird” but Hale shows are always very unique due to their stage. I honestly like their stage and they always find incredible ways of using it to totally submerge you into the show.


Favorite costume you’ve ever worn? Least favorite?
Favorite would be Jonas Fogg in Sweeney Todd, the all dark everything pushed up against the white tunics of the lunatics I feel looked twisted in a great way and was almost symbolic. Least favorite would be Beast in Beauty and the Beast Jr. not that the whole costume was bad, I actually really liked the cape and wig along with the prosthetics, I was in black tights and had a padded upper body, so the combination of the two made it looked like I skipped leg day… a lot.


Best youth production you have ever seen?
It would honestly have to be a toss up between AYT's Bonnie and Clyde: The Musical and Greasepaint’s Heathers: The Musical.  Both of the blew my mind with the level of talent and really just made me realize why I love theatre.


Advice for young performers? Auditions? Behavior? Life?
For auditions take chances in your speaking and movements. For behavior Try your best to be an accepting person and don't be flat out rude to really anyone, at first. And in life, surround yourself with people that you enjoy being with.


Favorite actors and actresses? Stage? Screen?
Favorite actor for both stage and screen I guess would be Neil Patrick Harris and Andrew Rannells. As for actresses I'd have to go with Laura Bell Bundy and Sutton Foster for stage, and Jennifer Lawrence and Anna Kendrick for screen.


Favorite plays?
My favorite plays would most likely be The Miracle Worker and Cyrano de Bergerac. Cyrano, for its clever writing and wit, while keeping an iconic love triangle, and Miracle Worker for its heart.


Favorite musicals?
My favorite musicals would have to be Book of Mormon, Heathers, and Legally Blonde. At least those are the ones I always find myself singing along to! Each one of them adds so much humor with so much story and heart that is just brilliant.


What is the best showtune of all-time?
Personally, I think the all time best showtime would have to be Be Our Guest” from Beauty and the Beast. I feel that number is just such a showstopper and you can always see people singing along to it.


Musical/play on Broadway currently you’re dying to see?
Like almost everyone it seems, I’d love to see Hamilton. I would also love to see School of Rock as well, those kids are crazy talented! But most of all I'd like to see Beautiful: a Carole King Musical.


Favorite movie? TV Show?
My Favorite movie is actually The Help. I love the message and the touch of humor they add in (especially with the pie). For my favorite TV show I'd have to go with a classic, Friends, and I can't resist the delightfully dark, American Horror Story


Personal mantra(s)?
For performances before each scene or before the show starts I count to 3 and then I dive into the character, at least for serious roles. For comedic roles before every show I think to myself, “the worst thing that could happen is I crap myself on stage… And at least I could make that semi-funny.”


Performer you would die to perform with?
Nathan Lane, he seems like a hilarious guy and I would die to be able to do a comedic show/scene with him. He really is a legend!


Carter with members of the cast of Elf Jr. at AYT.
How do you feel about the atmosphere of youth theatre in Arizona? What do you like about it?
I think it's a great community and atmosphere. It's great that actors that typically are at one theatre can audition for other theatres, with hopefully minimal judgement.





Most underrated show?
Big Fish, the ending makes me cry everytime! I don't understand why it doesn't get more recognition for the wonderful musical it is.


What’s your “adult” plan? Keep performing professionally or…?
I'm planning on most likely going to law school and becoming an attorney. I fell in love with the “court room style” debate ever since I had to defend my client, “Jack”, from Lord of the Flies, in class.


Upcoming projects?

I'm seriously contemplating auditioning for Hairspray with AYT but I'm not completely sure if I'm auditioning for that yet.

Thank you to Carter for answering my questions! I love talking to the up-and-coming kids in the Valley!

No comments:

Post a Comment