Friday, April 8, 2016

AYAA Interview: Sarah Pansing

Sarah Pansing is a talented young actress from Phoenix, AZ who began singing at age three and Alice in Wonderland at Desert Stages. After Desert Stages, Sarah has gone on to work with many theatres around the Valley, including alley Youth Theatre, Spotlight Youth Theatre, Hale Centre Theatre, Theater Works and her school theatre department. Outside of performing, Sarah loves to play the piano and hang out with her friends. Sarah claims her "life has been changed by theatre [and] met so many people that have become some of my closest friends." Sarah also loves New York and wants to live there when she is older. Sarah is currently performing as Anne Frank in The Diary of Anne Frank at Hale Centre Theatre. Sarah has many of years of performing left here in the Valley and there is no doubt that she will continue to find the utmost success.
started in theatre at age six in a production of

Full Real Legit Name
Sarah Janette Pansing


Where were you born?
Scottsdale, AZ


What’s home like? Brothers? Siblings? Parents? Pets?
I have an 19 year old sister who just finished school to become an aesthetician, a 7 year old brother who loves video games and plays golf, two awesome parents who support me so much in theatre, and two crazy dogs. I just moved to downtown Phoenix and I am going to be moving near by in about a year or so!


When and why did you start performing?
The first time I performed in public was when I was three, and I sang "Happy Birthday" at my dad’s surprise party, but I didn’t realize how much I loved theatre until I saw my friend in a production of Charlotte’s Web at DST. I auditioned for the next show there when I was 6.


First show you ever saw?
The first show I ever saw was Wicked at ASU Gammage when I was 3!


First Broadway show you ever saw?
The first Broadway show I ever saw was the revival of West Side Story when I was 10.


Most influential show you ever saw? Why was it so influential?
The two most influential shows I have seen were both shows I recently saw in New York City. - Hamilton and The Color Purple, and both inspired me as a performer. Everyone is obsessed with Hamilton because of the way it revolutionizes musical theatre, so it is no surprise that it was so impactful. However, The Color Purple was impactful in a much more heartfelt and meaningful way. Every performer gave 100%, and there was never a moment where I wasn’t completely engaged. Jennifer Hudson was absolutely remarkable, but the woman in the lead role, Cynthia Erivo, truly inspired me with her beautiful and absolutely stunning performance. It was an incredibly influential show, and I loved every minute of it.


Favorite show you’ve ever been in? Why?
My favorite show I have ever been in is Spring Awakening at Spotlight Youth Theatre! Being in the show was such an incredible experience, but the friends I made and the love shared throughout the cast, crew, and directing team was just as remarkable. I loved every member of that cast, and we all bonded so much throughout the process of the show. It was such a deep and meaningful show, and it was so incredible to have an experience to portray such deep emotion with a cast entirely comprised of youth actors (and Ken and Brenda, but they’re kids at heart!).


Most challenging acting experience? Why?
I think my most challenging acting experience was being a part of Spring Awakening. It has such a powerful message and although portraying that message is challenging, it was such an incredible experience.


Sarah with Owen Stewart as the White Witch
in Narnia at VYT 
You played The White Witch in VYT’s production of Narnia. What was that experience like? What made that show unique from other productions you have been in before?
This was my first time playing the main antagonist in a production, so it was definitely a new experience. This was my first show with VYT, and I could not have asked for a better start with such an amazing theatre. The cast members welcomed me into the community with open arms, and I made SO many friends. Some of my best and closest friends are people who I met or reconnected with in Narnia. This was the first show that began to push me out of my comfort zone and try ways to portray this villain. I loved being a part of Narnia, and it will always be a show that has a lot of meaning to me because of the amazing people I met.


A few years ago, you portrayed Peter Pan in Desert Stages production of Peter Pan. What are the challenges that come with playing such an iconic role?
I loved playing Peter Pan! It is always very hard to play such an iconic role because people always have certain personal expectations of what that character should be like. Whenever I’m cast as a well known character like Peter, I try to forget about preconceived notions associated with that character. I feel like this makes the character more real and less of an attempt to mimic a stereotype.


You were in the ensemble of Spotlight’s production of Spring Awakening. What did you gain from that experience? What are the challenges of putting on a production of Spring Awakening?
Oh my gosh. I can’t even begin to describe how grateful and lucky I am to have been a part of Spring Awakening. I am so grateful to Kenny Grossman for casting me in this show because it truly challenged me in a way no show ever has. It brought out a set of emotions I’ve never had the chance to portray on stage, which was so incredible. There are some challenges with putting on Spring Awakening: many people believe the show to be vulgar and tasteless, but I, personally, do not think this is the case. I think that it is such a beautiful show about growing up and many other things and truly impacts everyone involved, whether a cast member, a tech, an audience member, in some way. Spring Awakening was my first show at SYT, and I am so lucky to have had such an amazing first experience with such an amazing theatre.


In Hale’s next show, The Diary of Anne Frank, you will be playing the titular character of Anne Frank. What kind of preparation are you doing for the role? What is the biggest challenge of playing Anne Frank? What is the message you hope to share through your character?
Playing Anne is such a dream for me. I connect with her on so many levels, so to be able to portray her is so incredible. Her story is so heartbreaking, yet it is so beautiful at the same time. I would say the biggest challenge of playing Anne is trying to do her justice. I have so much respect and compassion for her and for all the victims of the Holocaust, so I definitely want to make sure I’m giving 100% all the time so as to portray her in a way that the audience can understand and relate to. Throughout reading her diary, I’ve really seen what an intelligent young girl she was. She was truly a remarkable person. Through playing Anne and telling her story, I hope to share the message of love and acceptance of all people: regardless of their identity.


Sarah performing "Tonight" with Julian Mendoza at
Desert Stages' Miscast Concert.
Can you explain what the Desert Stages Miscast Cabaret was? What was your role in it? What did you gain from that experience?
The DST Miscast Cabaret was such a cool experience! I had seen the Miscast show in New York on YouTube that many Broadway performers performed in, so it was so awesome to be able to bring that idea to a local level. It is basically an opportunity to perform a song by a role that you would never get the opportunity to be cast in (whether it be because of age, sex, race, etc.). This allows to break past the borders of physical appearance and show that these messages relate to everyone: regardless of age, sex, race, etc. It is also just a fun way to get to perform songs you otherwise would not get the chance to perform. I sang “Tonight” from West Side Story with my very good friend Julian Mendoza (who is so incredibly talented), and that was very cool!


You played Frieda in Desert Stages production of You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown. Why do you think that show is put on so often? What do you like about that show?
I think this show is put on so often because it is just such a happy show. Everyone leaves the show singing the finale, “Happiness”, and it just shows the innocence and love capable in children. Even though Charlie Brown is ‘odd’ everyone loves him, and that in itself is so beautiful. Things I love about that show is how it so childish, yet so mature at the same time. Even with their young minds, they still experience deep emotions like love and insecurity.


Favorite character you got to play during the 2015-16 season?
I would have to say Anne Frank because she’s such an amazing person and tells such an incredibly beautiful and heartbreaking story.


Favorite person you got to play opposite of during the 2015-16? (Romantically or otherwise)
I’ve only really played one role this season and that is Anne Frank, and I play opposite of Nick Gunnell who plays Peter Van Daan. He is really awesome to work with, and I love playing opposite of him! Someone who I played opposite of last season that I really enjoyed working with was Brandon Reyes. In VYT’s production of Narnia, he played Aslan and I played the White Witch who are enemies of each other. Brandon is one of my best friends so it was so much fun to try and hate each other in this show, and I loved working with him.


Sarah as Sebastian in The Little Mermaid
at Desert Stages.
Dream role? Dream role of the opposite sex?
My dream role currently is Cathy in The Last Five Years! I have many other dream roles, but my dream role of the opposite sex would have to be either Aaron Burr in Hamilton or Moritz in Spring Awakening.  


Theatres in Arizona you would love to work with, but haven’t?
I have been lucky enough to get to work with so many theatres in the past few years, and I would really love to just keep expanding those circles and working with as many theatres and groups of people as I can! I would love to work with Phoenix Theatre and Arizona Broadway Theatre in addition to many youth theatres.


Craziest stage experience (mishap, funny improvised joke, etc.)?
I’ve never had an awful mess-up, but one time in Peter Pan, I messed up during “I Won’t Grow Up” which led to John saying ‘not me’ (he’s supposed to say ‘not I’) which, in turn, led to some confused Lost Boys saying a mixture of ‘not I’ and ‘not me’ (they’re supposed to say ‘not me’), but fortunately, that’s the worst thing to go wrong in a performance for me.


Weirdest show you’ve ever been to? (Whether it be the nature of the show, casting decisions, etc.)
The weirdest show I have ever been to would have to be Disaster the Musical on Broadway. It is a show completely comprised of 70’s music woven into the plot-line. ……...It was just a very weird show, but there was a ton of talented performers in it.


Favorite costume you’ve ever worn?
I have lots of favorite costumes! My absolute favorite would have to be my costume as The White Witch in Narnia at VYT. It was BEAUTIFUL.


Best youth production you have ever seen?
The best youth production I have ever seen would have to be either Les Miserables at Greasepaint, A Chorus Line at Spotlight, or RENT at Spotlight.


What is your go-to audition song?
I try and change it up every time I audition for something: I try to sing a new song for every audition, but I do have a couple that I really like. My favorite audition songs are “Stranger to the Rain” from Children of Eden,  “Say the Word” from The Unauthorized Autobiography of Samantha Brown, and many others.


Advice for young performers? Auditions? Behavior? Life?
Don’t give up! Never give up! Always be kind and supportive of your peers in theatre and in your community. Always go into auditions with confidence! Always believe in yourself! You are a star!


Favorite actors and actresses? Stage? Screen?
Jonathan Groff, Bernadette Peters, Cynthia Erivo, Sierra Boggess, Ramin Karimloo, Phillipa Soo, Aaron Tveit, Jennifer Damiano, Kate Shindle, Neil Patrick Harris


Favorite plays?
The Diary of Anne Frank!


Favorite musicals?
Hamilton, The Last Five Years, Spring Awakening, next to normal and many others!


What is the best showtune of all-time?
I know it’s a little cliche, but I really do think that “Seasons of Love” is the greatest showtune of all time. Just the whole idea of living your life through love is so beautiful, and anytime it starts playing when theatre kids are together, everyone belts their hearts out and really connects with each other. I think it just a universal theme song for theatre kids everywhere because of it’s meaning and it’s ability to bring people together.
Sarah and Sam Primack backstage in a production of
The Wizard of Oz. (Sarah's second production


Musical/play on Broadway currently you’re dying to see?
I would love to see School of Rock or American Psycho.


Favorite movie? TV Show?
I love Heathers and I love Friends.


Secret guilty pleasure?
Sour gummy worms!


Personal mantra(s)?
Always look at things from the perspective of others. This can apply to theatre and just life in general. Seeing something from someone else’s viewpoint can help you to be more understanding and happier in your life.
If something doesn’t work out or you don’t get something, it just means something even greater is coming your way. If you work hard and always strive to be better than you were before, great things will happen to you: it’s only a matter of time. Always put in the work and strive to be the best you you can be!


Performer you would die to perform with?
Sarah as Anne Frank at Hale Centre
Theatre (2016).
I would absolutely LOVE to perform with Bernadette Peters or Jonathan Groff. They are both crazy talented.
Most underrated show?
Children of Eden, Songs for a New World, A Very Potter Musical (not really a musical but I love it!), The Wild Party, Wonderland


What’s your “adult” plan? Keep performing professionally or…?
I really want to keep performing professionally throughout my life. I love singing and dancing and acting and expressing emotion through art in any way and I couldn’t imagine it not being a part of my life.


Upcoming projects?

The Diary of Anne Frank at Hale Centre Theatre opens on April 7th! The shows are selling out so if anyone wants to see it, make sure to get tickets soon!:)


Thank you to Sarah for doing this interview! And be sure to see the Diary of Anne Frank at Hale Centre Theatre!

No comments:

Post a Comment