Thursday, April 21, 2016

AYAA Interview: Maria Boas


Maria Boas was born and bred in Arizona and has had a love of the performing arts from a young age. Maria has actually only recently become involved with youth theater, but has had a desire to be on stage since she was 2, memorizing songs from Wizard of Oz, West Side Story, Sound of Music, Oklahoma! and various Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals, thanks to her father. Her first plays were with local parishes like Queen of Peace and St. Maria Goretti. In January of 2015, Maria happened to search for local youth theaters and stumbled across AYT’s page and saw that they would be holding auditions for a musical based on her favorite story: The Scarlet Pimpernel. Not knowing what to expect, she quickly watched a high school production the day before and auditioned, landing the role of Marie Grosholtz. After Pimpernel, Maria went on to perform with EVCT as the video game villain Rawn and after becoming a student board member with EVCT, found her way back to AYT for The Haunted as Eleanor Fanell and a member of the Company in Sweeney Todd. She has volunteered with EVCT on more than one occasion, and is happy to have found a home with both companies.


Full Real Legit Name
Maria Jasmine Boas


Where were you born?
Tucson, Arizona


What’s home like? Brothers? Siblings? Parents? Pets?
I’m the oldest of 4; my siblings and I are all adopted, each a different ethnicity and had some sort of health problem when we were born. I have two brothers: Michael (16) and John (10) the latter who was born 3 months early, and a sister with down syndrome, Teresa (13). We Boases are rambunctious bunch of folks and there is always noise at our place, whether it be children screaming, music blaring, or dogs barking, etc. We all enjoy doing fandubs and singing. I have two dogs, a chihuahua-maltese-pomeranian named Leo (he’s the devil incarnate) and a siberian husky named Savio who pulls me around the neighborhood on a wiggle racer! #urbanmushing


When and why did you start performing?
I started performing in 2014 at Queen of Peace parish because they were putting on a play on one of my favorite saints, Thomas Becket (the play was the premise for the movie Becket, which is a fabulous flick!) I had wanted to perform onstage earlier in life, but my parents thought me very impressionable at the time and didn’t want me to get in with the wrong crowd, so they made me wait (which was a very good decision, I begrudgingly admit).


First show you ever saw?
The earliest show I can remember seeing was Aladdin at Disneyland.


First Broadway show you ever saw?
The first Broadway show I ever saw was The Lion King with my family and my friend Katie- the elephants walking down the aisle were so cool, but they scared my sister!


Most influential show you ever saw? Why was it so influential?
You’re going to think I sound like a nutcase, but I’m going to have to say AYT’s production of Elf! It was a show full of joy, family, fun, and love and it was so much fun to watch and that joy was something I needed at that moment in my own life. (Alexis and I literally couldn’t stop laughing and I’m sure we annoyed everyone sitting next to us!)


Maria backstage with the cast of the Haunted. (2015)
Favorite show you’ve ever been in? Why?
THE HAUNTED! Our cast was so close-knit and we definitely felt like a family. Nearly everyone got along and Kylee Webb invented a character from a typo of her own character Ruby’s name: Buby, who became the most developed character in the whole show: she had a backstory, a comic page and ultimately a cult following!


Most challenging acting experience? Why?
The hardest experience I've had while acting was probably playing Rawn in Arya's Rock. There wasn't much of a description of her other than she wanted to track down the main character and kill him...there wasn't much depth, and I struggled at first trying to make her someone other than a constantly angry, screaming sword-wielding maniac (the sword fighting was very hard for me to learn at first, but that was probably my favorite thing about Rawn!) Thankfully, the amazing Aaron Blanco helped me a lot in regards to both of these things.


Maria performing as Rawn in EVCT's Arya's Rock. (2015)
You were nominated for an AriZoni award for your portrayal of Rawn in Arya’s Rock at East Valley Children’s Theatre. What was it like to be nominated for a Zoni? What is Arya’s Rock about? What did you gain from that experience?
To be honest, I was quite surprised that I had been nominated. Before that year, I didn’t even know what a Zoni award was! Arya’s Rock is about a boy who’s sucked into a video game and must team up with several of the world’s characters to find the legendary gem Arya’s Rock, which, if used by the wrong people, could bring an eternal darkness to the land.


Recently, you were a part of the ensemble in Actor’s Youth Theatre’s production of Sweeney Todd. What were the challenges that came along with that production? What is your favorite memory from that show?
The biggest challenge was learning the music. Stephen Sondheim's music is very, very complex and challenging to learn, and so when we learned our parts, it was very satisfying and I think we all felt quite accomplished. I’m going to share three memories: 1. When I bought an apple pie and shared it with Mark Munoz 2. Anytime I was goofing around with Benny Rose (and when she plucked my eyebrows!) 3. Engaging Hayden Skaggs in a tribal territorial dance.


During Halloween of 2015, you played Eleanor Fanell in AYT’s production of the Haunted. What was that show about? What was your role in it? Did you like performing in a Halloween show? Why or why not?
The Haunted was a very unique story that spans three generations, from the turn of the century to the 1950s. In The Haunted, there is a script titled The King in Yellow which “possesses” the reader and drives them to insanity. I played a paranormal researcher whose story came into play during the second generation story arc. I like to think of Eleanor as the ghost buster of the 1920s, but even she isn’t quite sure what the source of evil is…


Maria as Marie Grosholtz in The Scarlet Pimpernel at AYT (2015.)
You played Marie in The Scarlet Pimpernel at Actor’s Youth Theatre. Since it is a relatively lesser known show, can you explain a little bit about who she is in the show? What did you gain from that experience? What challenges did you face in preparing for your role? Why do you think Pimpernel is a lesser produced show?
Marie Grosholtz is an artist; she designs costumes and scenery for the theater where her best friend Marguerite (the heroine) performs and is quite a feisty woman. I loved playing her because she comes into play later in the story and ends up being just as able and important as the Scarlet Pimpernel’s band of men. I got to speak in a french accent, which actually came very easily. I do think it’s a criminally underrated show and I’m not sure why because Frank Wildhorn’s music is unique and so beautiful!


What is one show you wish a youth theatre would do? Why?
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers because dang, that dance number during the barn raising is literally the best thing ever!!


Maria performing with the ensemble of  Sweeney Todd at AYT (2016).
Favorite character you got to play during the 2015-16 season?
A lunatic in Sweeney Todd because I got to go completely berserk, was obsessed with Megan Longton's hair, literally leaped on Noah Delgado’s back from the stage, and was dragged offstage as I was writhing about like one in need of holy water.


Favorite person you got to play opposite of during the 2015-16? (Romantically or otherwise)
I’ve only been in 2 shows this season, and I’d have to say that it would have to be a group of people, and that would be my “Act 2 Crew” from Haunted: Troy Jansen, Rachel Lundgreen, Kylee Webb and Sarah Edmunds.


Dream role? Dream role of the opposite sex?
Two of my dream roles include (but are not limited to)  Mercedes (Count of Monte Cristo) and Ado Annie (Oklahoma) /Tobias (Sweeney Todd), Gavroche and Jean Valjean (Les Mis)


Theatres in Arizona you would love to work with, but haven’t?
Hale and VYT!


Maria with Rachel Lundgreen in the Haunted at AYT. (2014)
Craziest stage experience (mishap, funny improvised joke, etc.)?
Haha...that would have to be during the Haunted. I was supposed to confront Bertie (Rachel Lundgreen) while holding the book the King in Yellow because my character had suspected that she might be under the influence of the possessed manuscript and I was supposed to have this dramatic reveal of the book and get tacked by the crazy Bertie. However on opening night, I forgot the book onstage and so I had to run offstage and pretend like I was going to my room to get it. Fortunately Rachel and everyone else played along PERFECTLY and everything went smoothly after that! #gosquad


Weirdest show you’ve ever been to? (Whether it be the nature of the show, casting decisions, etc.)
Les Miserables at Gammage back in 2011. The tempo of the music, particularly the opening was much too fast, the cast did not impress me and the ending scene where everyone sings the finale in splendor and glory felt bland because of the abstract, bland background.


Favorite costume you’ve ever worn? Least favorite?
I’m torn between my magnificent Marie dress from Scarlet Pimpernel and my outfit for Eleanor Fanell from the Haunted. I really liked my costume for Rawn, but I didn’t like my hair (it was put in a giant bun straight on the top of my head with several tendrils of hair hanging down) so it wouldn’t get caught while I was sword-fighting.


Best youth production you have ever seen?
So far, Bonnie and Clyde or Elf at AYT or Les Miserables at Saguaro High School.


What is your go-to audition song?
I’ve never actually chosen a song for an audition, but I’d have to say On My Own from Les Mis, One Hand One Heart from West Side Story or I Will Be There from The Count of Monte Cristo.


Advice for young performers? Auditions? Behavior? Life?
Be authentic and true to you! You each have something unique and special to bring to each audition and the directors will see that, even if they don’t cast you. Also, don’t do drugs, and follow the golden rule! "A sincere resolution: to make the way lovable for others and easy, since life brings enough bitterness with it already."


Favorite actors and actresses? Stage? Screen?
Neil Patrick Harris, Vic Mignogna, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hiddleston, Mark Hamill, Geoffrey Rush, Adam Driver, Colm Wilkinson, Patti LuPone


Favorite plays?
A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Hamlet, Macbeth, The Three Theban Plays


Favorite musicals?
Les Miserables, Company, Oklahoma, West Side Story,


What is the best showtune of all-time?
Haha too many to choose from, but one of them is The Ladies Who Lunch from Company


Musical/play on Broadway currently you’re dying to see?
Newsies!


Favorite movie? TV Show?
One of my favorite flicks is The Village. I really enjoy anime like Toradora! Ouran Highschool Host Club, RWBY, Wolf’s Rain, Madoka Magica, Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note; I love Phineas and Ferb and the Walking Dead.


Secret guilty pleasure?
Food. Fast food. Fried food, especially fried chicken!!!


Personal mantra(s)?
"A sincere resolution: to make the way lovable for others and easy, since life brings enough bitterness with it already." In other words, even if you’re having a miserable time, be as bright as you can so that you don’t bring everyone else around you down, despite how you may be feeling. Be inspiring! (I’m not saying it’s easy, though!)


Performer you would die to perform with?
Neil Patrick Harris, Vic Mignogna, Colm Wilkinson and Ramin Karimloo!


Maria with members of the cast of AYT's The Haunted.
How do you feel about the atmosphere of youth theatre around Arizona? What do you like about it?
I’ve had some awesome directors who I feel truly care about how I develop my craft, and that’s really inspiring and motivating to know that my someone would spend quality time with me out of the 30 something member cast so that I can improve and be the best that I can.


Most underrated show?
The Scarlet Pimpernel


What’s your “adult” plan? Keep performing professionally or…?
As much as I love performing, I will be going to John Paul the Great Catholic University this fall and plan to pursue a career in video post production.


Upcoming projects?
I will be performing in the murder mystery dinner show Dinner at 8, Dead by 9 on April 16 for East Valley Children’s Theater 20th Anniversary.


Young actor/actress in the Phoenix area you'd love to perform with

*I’m assuming this is for actors I haven’t already worked with?* Some people I’d love to perform with (that I haven’t already) would be Adyson Nichols, Avery Lee, Adam Miller, Mackenna Goodrich, Jessica Hughes, Jessie Jo Pauley, Joseph Daly, Justin Kosisky, Andy Vega and Hannah Mason.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment