Monday, April 4, 2016

AYAA Talback: Movies Being Turned Into Musicals

Hi, everyone! I thought it was high time to do another AYAA Talkback. I actually posted the question for this on February 21st and totally forgot all about it. So I guess it is a little blast from the past.

Due to the recent wave of movies becoming musicals (Heathers, Elf, Shrek) , two questions:
1) Do you like Broadway adaptations of films? Do you think the trend is positive or negative?
2) What movie would you like to see as a Broadway musical next?

"I do like seeing movies become musicals. I think that is such a cool thing. Directors, producers, and the cast of films put so much effort into their films and it must be such a cool feeling seeing that other people want to adapt their works into these spectacular shows on Broadway! I would love to see a newer romance film go to Broadway, like, The Fault in Our Stars or something like that. I feel like that would be so cool!" - Bailey Gorman

"How about Titanic! Cool costumes and characters, and a great love story." - Trina Haubrich Giusti

(A/N: There actually is a Titanic musical, but it is based just on the ship and not the movie.)

"I think it's really cool how people are able to take movies (ie Heathers, The Addams Family, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Hairspray, 9 to 5 and so on) and make them into enjoyable musicals and sometimes even making those musicals into movies. It's basically movie-ception. I haven't really seen a musical based on a movie flop because the musical usually does the movie justice which is always nice. The trend is mostly positive and it introduces more and more people to the world of musicals when they hear that their favorite movie is becoming a live action musical. I would love to see Enchanted (yes I know it has music but it could be an Aladdin kinda thing) become a full blown Broadway musical because that movie is hella underappreciated and Idina Menzel could come back and play the role she did in the movie and it would be a fun time." - Sarah Davidson

"Dead Poets Society. I think that it would be such a different musical, and I think the music would be written cleverly. Or Kung Fu Panda, I think that would be so frikkin awesome." - Vincent Pugliese

"It works both ways.....from silver screen to Broadway and vice versa. I would LOVE to see the Nightmare Before Christmas as a musical onstage!" - Linda Pauley

"I think they are great but when not done right they can come off as gimmicky. Ella Enchanted would make such a fun big production type show and I'm surprised that Princess Bride hasn't become a musical yet. Really any cult movie would make a good musical." - India Chudnow

"I think they are great when they stick to the original themes and concepts of the show and they are also good because they open opportunities for the general public to partake in musicals. Beatlejuice would make a fantastic show. Tim Burton movies have amazing musical potential" - Mark Munoz

"To me, musical theater is a medium that allows for any sort of story to be adapted, regardless of where the story originated. As such, I believe film to musical adaptations often work very well, as evidenced by many classic shows." - Noah Delgado

"I have nothing against Broadway adaptations of films, but to me the trend is a bit annoying. There have been so many adaptations over the years, which is fine, but I would kill to see something new become popular. A fresh story, a unique concept never done before and wholly its own: now that would be amazing to see!
Side note: there is nothing wrong with those musical adaptations, it's just that knowing the storyline versus being absolutely surprised is something that can greatly enhance an already exquisite performance." - Jesse Factor

(A/N: I tend to share that point of view.)

"I think they're a great way for people who aren't necessarily 'theater people' to become more interested in the arts. And they're usually so fun! I'm dying to see Hocus Pocus the musical!!!" - Macy Wood

"Well, I have to say I'm excited for the Mean Girls adaptation, but that's partially just because I'm a huge Tina Fey nerd. The one movie (and play) I want to see a musical adaptation of (and have wanted for YEARS) is The Crucible. It's my absolute favorite play and I think the addition of music could make certain characters more sympathetic and add new dimensions, something I always appreciate." - Spencer Claus

"I do like seeing movies becoming musicals (Big Fish, Legally Blonde, and so on) and I think it's an in between trend. Some people like it, some people don't, I'm one that does." - Danny Blankemeier

Thank you to everyone who responded to this week's questions! Look forward to more similar posts soon!

You can check out the next talkback question here.

No comments:

Post a Comment