Sunday, April 17, 2016

AYAA Interview: India Rose Chudnow


India Rose Chudnow is a 16 year old actress, born in Denver, CO, but transplanted to Scottsdale, AZ four years ago. India recently performed in Sea Fairies at Brelby Theatre Company and Sweeney Todd at Actor's Youth Theatre. Outside of theatre, India loves fashion, cutting and dyeing her hair, memes and photography. India has also performed in roles like Grandma in Addams Family and Josephine in Big Fish. We can't wait to see what India gets into next summer and next season!

Full Real Legit Name

India Rose Chudnow

Where were you born?
Denver, CO

What’s home like? Brothers? Siblings? Parents? Pets?
Home is like a home. Everyone's pretty busy, I have a mother (Edie), father (Alan), sister (Octavia), a best friend who's always at my house or vice versa (Lydia) and hopefully a dog.

India as the Sun in her first play.
When and why did you start performing?
I think my first show was in kindergarten. It was a bunch of small plays and fables that my school was doing and in one of them, I played the sun and in another, I played Sleeping Beauty. I don't know why I was in it. And I probably did it because my cousins were doing it and I did almost anything they did because they were (and still are) super cool.

First show you ever saw?
Now I don't remember the first show I saw; it was probably an opera or something knowing my parents, but the first one I remember is my dad taking me to see You Can't Take It With You, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, and Spamalot all at the Denver Theater -- I can't remember which was first I just remember wearing Crocs.

First Broadway show you ever saw?
Ohhh I just went to New York to see my first Broadway show this January. And the first one I saw was Fiddler on the Roof; I cried when the ensemble walked on stage

Most influential show you ever saw? Why was it so influential?
I really think that Fiddler on the Roof was the most influential. I haven't seen it in so long and I forgot how much I loved the music and how classic it is. But I think it was most influential because really seeing a Broadway show in itself makes all of the possibilities seem doable. Also for a while i was leaning more towards wanting to do film instead, but getting to meet and talk to the actors, I JUST saw doing incredible stuff on BROADWAY. It reminded me how much I love the family like qualities of theater.

India with Jessie Jo Pauley backstage during
the Addams Family at AYT.
Favorite show you’ve ever been in? Why?
I have to say Addams Family with Actors Youth Theatre; this was a big show for me. Not only because I made lifetime friendships (like you kenna <3 <3 <3), but also because it really made me realize how much opportunity there is to do theater in the valley. Also, I think seeing that opportunity really made me seriously seriously start pursuing theater as a career instead of a dream. Also, Grandma was my ultimate dream role, so that was fun.

Most challenging acting experience? Why?
I think Marilla in Anne of Green Gables at AYT because she's really hard on the outside. but on the inside, she has such love for Anne and for others, even if she doesn't show it too well. Also, that was one of my biggest parts I've ever played since I've been seriously pursuing theater, so there was a lot of memorization that had to be done and I'm a procrastinator. I think you can put two and two together

India as Grandma in Addams Family at AYT.
You were in the Arizona premiere of Addams Family at AYT two years ago. What is it like being in the Arizona premiere of such a popular show like Addams Family? Was there pressure that came with it? What was playing Grandma like?
Oh, it was so exciting to be in the premiere! It really makes a family aspect of the cast that's going to last forever. Just knowing you where the first in your area to bring those characters to life is really satisfying when you get to shows. I don't think I got any of the pressure; Grandma is kinda the stress free gal and I didn't have to worry too much about dancing. What was it like playing Grandma? It was a dream; she was my absolute dream role. I love love love Jackie Hoffman -- the person who originated her -- so it was fun to play that and Grandma is just such a fun character; you can really run with her and make her as crazy as you want because she doesn't have many lines so you get a lot of play room.

India as Josephine with Jonah Carlson in Big Fish at AYT.
You also were in the Arizona premiere of Big Fish with AYT last summer as Josephine. It seems you tend to play roles in musicals that are non-singing roles. Do you prefer these roles? What do you think is different about those types of roles versus roles with big solos?
I prefer acting over singing, its true. I guess I'm an okay singer; I know I have pretty good pitch, so I guess that's half of it. I tend to play roles that aren't very sing-y because those are the fun roles. I do theater for the socialization aspect almost as much as the performance doing what you love side. The smaller supporting leads is where its at because you don't have to be onstage constantly, but you also get your little bits and moments. (A/N: I concur.) I also like these roles because they tend to be the comedic relief and I love making people laugh. I really think that the difference between the non-singing roles and the singing roles is the singing roles sing. I would love to play a larger role with a big solo, but there aren't very many for altos and singing isn't my preference. It takes a lot of work for me to work on it. If i get cast in something that has to sing, I will work really hard, but you have to keep it up constantly to get cast into those type of roles and that's just not where my passion lies at the moment. I can feel it coming back though. (I bet my vocal coach is crying tears of joy at that last bit)

On the same topic of Big Fish, what do you think is special about that musical? Why does the story resonate with so many people? What were the challenges with that show?
I think the story resonates with so many people because it's a father-son relationship. I know stuff like that always makes a large impact on me. The challenges of the show as a whole was taking such a big show and put it into a smaller space. It was crowded and hectic backstage, but I like to say I think we did it justice. Personally, a large challenge was playing a different character than what I normally play. Josephine is such a sweet and steady soul and shes really the calm in Will's conflict with his father. Not to mention, she's pregnant, so I had to research a lot on the physicality of pregnancy and I had to use a lot of blush and highlighter to give me that “pregnant glow.”

As a primarily non-singer, do you prefer performing in plays or musical? Why?
I love plays a lot because I feel that's what aligns best with my talents. I wish people did more plays more often, BUT I also love love love musicals, especially the ones with big musical numbers because there's so much energy backstage and you can sing along in your head to whatever is happening.
Can you tell us a little bit about Brelby Theatre Company’s production of Sea Fairies? Do you like performing in more youth-oriented shows or shows like Sweeney Todd (which you were also recently in) with darker themes?
Sea Faries is a play for young audiences written by Kirt Shineman that is based of of a few of the short stories written by the same guy who wrote Wizard of Oz -- L. Frank Baum. It's about a young girl -- Trot -- who goes on an adventure with her only friend and captain of her late father's ship, Captain Bill. I play Merla, the sassy bubble head cousin to the mermaid princess, Clia. I love doing any and all shows. I wouldn't say I like doing youth-oriented shows more than the ones with darker subjects, but rather more just lighthearted shows that aren't meant to be taken too seriously. I think I enjoy doing those better because I enjoy watching those a lot. Probably because I've been taken to so many comedies since I was young. Youth-oriented shows are fun too because kids are the best audience they are just so honest and it's fun especially when they talk back. Now shows with darker subjects are fun too, but not what I prefer.

You tend to be in the ensemble or in smaller supporting roles. What do you think the importance of these smaller parts are? Does it bug you not being the “star” of shows?
It bugs me but only when you get “I'm the star” leads; that's when it gets not so fun. I love being in ensemble because you get to spend so much time together, so you really get a bond with your fellow actors. I love the smaller parts; sometimes they are there to make a joke and lighten the mood or even to give some depth to the other characters. Without supporting roles, there would almost be no story. It's fun to be a character that drives the plot or even has their own smaller plot, but without the weight of the whole show on your shoulders. I would love to pick up a lead eventually, but like I said before, it doesn't bug me to be in the background. There's an art to acting, but also blending in that you only learn from ensemble.

Favorite character you got to play this year?
I really enjoyed being a company member in Sweeney Todd. We all really became friends and I just had a blast, onstage and off.

India as Josephine with Miles Johnson in Big Fish at AYT.
Favorite person you got to play opposite of this past year? (Romantically or otherwise)
Otherwise, I would have to say Saylem DuPont in Anne of Green gables. It was so fun getting into fights with her onstage because both of us played characters who were stubborn with a good heart and the fights we got in onstage were so high energy and just pointless mother/daughter like fights and it was really great just getting supper huffy and such. Also, Saylem is a jem and anyone who doesn't like her isn't anyone; I love her 'til i die. Romantically, in the past year, I've only played opposite of Miles Johnson who played Will in big fish to my Josephine. He was great to work with. It was fun playing a pregnant married couple because there's so much excitement in the relationship, especially them being newly weds as well. Also have to give a shout out to Mason Reeves for jumping in the role we toured up to Snowflake.

Dream role? Dream role of the opposite sex?
Dream Roles- Winifred (Once Upon a Mattress), Dolly (Hello Dolly), Millie (Thoroughly Modern Millie), Calliope (Xanadu), Molly (Peter and the Starcatcher) Madame Thenardier (Les Mis) -- you know, the basics.
Of the opposite gender- Tevye (Fiddler on the Roof), Moritz (Spring Awakening) -- I know something dark!, J. Pierrepont Finch (How to Succeed...), Max Bialystock (The Producers), 
Ones normally played by men -- Trunchbull (Matilda), the D'ysquiths (Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder)

India backstage as Grandma in Addams Family at AYT.
Craziest stage experience (mishap, funny improvised joke, etc.)?
I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I know there are plenty. I guess the curtain getting stuck on the chandelier in Addams Family….when the costume rack kept breaking before a performance for Big Fish and...MY BONNET!!! In Sweeney Todd. I love when things go wrong onstage and I am just tickled pink when my fellow actors are able to improvise and cover it. I'm probably the one running around back stage giggling and telling everyone what happened because I am just in awe at their talent. It's the fun of live theater.

Weirdest show you’ve ever been to? (Whether it be the nature of the show, casting decisions, etc.)
I have fleeting memory of some but not enough to put into words. I love weird shows; they are just the best. I guess I have to say Windfall at Brelby. The play was originally written for the theater and it was one of the best plays I've ever seen. Its was such a roller coaster of emotions that left me not knowing how to feel at the end. They definitely have the term "comedic relief" down.

Favorite costume you’ve ever worn? Least favorite?
I always fall in love a little bit with all of my costumes. I'm always sad to see them go at the end of the show. I think my favorite was when i was in Thoroughly Modern Millie; I had this lovely plum knit dress and I wore it with a purple headcarf with tassels and bright orange flowers and a platinum bob wig -- it was so my character and so casual-glamorous. My least favorite would either be the gold costume at the beginning or the stenog costume because I had to layer like five other costumes underneath, so I felt like a stuffed sausage. Was not sad to see those two go.

India as Zyra in the Jungle Book
Best youth production you have ever seen?
At this point, I've seen so many that it's hard to pick a favorite. Every theater has its strengths and its weaknesses, but one that comes to mind is a production of Bye Bye Birdie I saw at Christian Youth Theater in Denver. I liked it so much i had to go back and see it the next day!

What is your go-to audition song?
"No Time At All" from Pippin


Advice for young performers? Auditions? Behavior? Life?
The best advice I can give you is to not sweat the small stuff. It really helps to build thick skin which is important in this kinda business. Also, don't take yourself too seriously. You do this because you love it and you're here to play. Don't worry about having fun sometimes or laughing at little mishaps instead of letting them affect you. See life as a joke; it makes you a lot happier as a person. Like I said before, it really helps to build thick skin, but also don't be afraid to feel sad sometimes because that's important too.

Favorite actors and actresses? Stage? Screen?
India with Lydia McCloskey, Molly Jisa,
Bailey Mussleman in Legend of Pocahontas
at CYT.
Yikes. I really like screen actors more for the clothes they wear more than anything else and stage. I don't have anyone in particular I follow. I guess i like the regulars, Christian Borle, Scarlett Stralin, Sutton Foster, Nathan Lane, Gavin Creel. For film, I like Zac Efron, Nick Cage, Bill Nye, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson,  Kirnan Shipka, Lupita Nyongo, Meryl Streep (duh), Daniel Radcliffe, Zoe Kazan, Adam Driver.

Favorite plays?
The usual: Picnic, Noises off, Peter and the Starcatcher

Favorite musicals?
Bye Bye birdie, Hello Dolly, Music Man, Fiddler on the Roof, Matilda, Last Five Years, Little Women, Spamalot, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Secret Garden

What is the best showtune of all-time?
That song that goes "there's no business like show buisness;" I have no idea what it is, but it's show biz so obviously. (A/N: "There's No Business Like Show Business" from Annie Get Your Gun) Also maybe "Put on Your Sunday Clothes" from Hello Dolly, anything from any golden age musical really. And how can you not- "A Musical" from Something Rotten

Musical/play on Broadway currently you’re dying to see?
Noises off, Bright Star, She Loves Me, and Matilda (I just love all of the kid power songs)

Favorite movie? TV Show?
I love What If; that movie is the best idk why it just is, Ruby Sparks, Harry Potter (duh). TV shows, I love Project Runway, Master Chef Jr., the Bachelor/Bachelorette, New Girl, Modern Family and the Goldbergs.

India fixing her broken shoe as Iago.
Secret guilty pleasure?
Not so secret, only a little bit guilty… Rom Coms. I love all and any rom com no matter how bad, how good, how funny, how romantic. I also love teen rom com novles. Even if its about bffs those types of movies just make you feel good and always put you in a good mood. They are just fun and they are good at taking the stress away. The more predictable the better. If you are actually looking for a good summer read about two best friends that has everything I highly, highly suggest Since You've Been Gone by Marissa Mayer; its the ultimate feel good  BFF novel and its not like one of those cookie cutter predictable books so its great. AND IT HAS PICTURE OF THE CHARICTERS ON THE INSIDE OF THE DUST COVERS ITS REALLY SO COOL!!!

Personal mantra(s)?
Don't take life too seriously

Performer you would die to perform with?
Jackie Hoffman -- She's just such a comedian and we have the same “type”; I know if she has done a role, I could do it.

How do you feel about the atmosphere of youth theatre around Arizona? What do you like about it? What do you feel like can be improved?
I love how much opportunity there is to play any and every role under the sun. I don't like the drama that surrounds it; it's kinda cliquey, but that's what everyone says, so that means that it's really problem that needs to be fixed. We all need to remember that we are all here because we love the theater.

Most underrated show?
XANADU!!!!!! It has everything! 80s? Check. Greek Gods/Goddess? Check. Rock Musical? Check. ROLLER SKATEs?! CHECKITY CHECK CHECK! Honestly, what's not to love?

India with Kayla Dobbs in Thoroughly Modern
Mllie at CYT.
What’s your “adult” plan? Keep performing professionally or…?
I would love to perform for my career; I see it even being a possibility for me right now. I don't really have a plan, but I'm starting to look at colleges and stuff. We will see where the wind blows. If I can't perform professionally, I would love to do something in fashion. Styling or buying or something like that.

Upcoming projects?
Right now, I am in Sea Fairies at Brelby Theater. Then after that, it's a round of various summer auditions, so we will see.

Young actor/actress in the Phoenix area you'd love to perform with

I've already done a show with her, but we would just KILL IT as a comedic duo, so I would love love love to work with Kayla Dobbs again.

No comments:

Post a Comment