Tuesday, April 5, 2016

AYAA Interview: Noa Gauthier

Noa Gauthier is a wonderful young actress. Noa has performed at many theatres across the Valley including Valley Youth Theatre, Desert Stages, Theater Works, etc. Noa has performed in roles like Mrs. Beaver in Narnia at VYT, Owl in A Winnie the Pooh Christmas Tail and Olive in The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee at Chaparral High School. As she is only a freshman in high school, Noa has an abundance of time to share her talents with Arizona!


Full Real Legit Name 
Noa Gabrielle Gauthier


Where were you born? 
Scottsdale, Arizona


What’s home like? Brothers? Siblings? Parents? Pets? 
My parents are divorced so I spend half of my time with my mom and the other half with my dad. I have to sisters who are 11 years old and they are twins. My dad remarried and had two boys with her who are 6 and 3 so they are my half brothers. My mom’s husband has two daughters of his own from a previous marriage who are 20 and 24. I have a mini golden doodle named Olive at my dads and a border doodle named Macy at my moms.


When and why did you start performing? 
I started performing when I was about nine because I have always had a very big personality and like performing. My parents persuaded me to do a Desert Stages summer camp and from then on I loved it.


First show you ever saw? 
The Lion King. I used to see it every year with my mom and some family friends.


Most influential show you ever saw? Why was it so influential?-
Wicked on Broadway because I was little and watching the girls perform made me realize how much I wanted to do what they do.


Favorite show you’ve ever been in? Why? 
They Chose Me at Valley Youth Theatre because it was my first show outside of Desert Stages or other smaller theatres and the cast was so close and I bonded with everyone so much and it was overall just a great experience.


Noa as Mrs. Beaver in Narnia: The Lion, the
Witch and the Wardrobe
at VYT (2014).
What was your experience of playing Mrs. Beaver in Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe at VYT? What made that show unique from others you have been in?
I absolutely loved Narnia. I met and became close with so many people that are still my best friends today. It was fun learning an accent and being such a comedic role. This show was a show for which I received an NYA award for Outstanding Supporting Actress. I had never been nominated for an NYA award before so this was super exciting!


This Christmas, you played Owl in VYT’s 20th Anniversary of A Winnie-The-Pooh Christmas Tail. What are the challenges that come with being a part of a tradition? What about the show makes it so beloved? 
Playing Owl was a lot of fun. I have always wanted to be in Winnie-The-Pooh so it was great. Since it’s a tradition, you always want to make it a little different from the other people that have played that role and after 19 other shows that becomes kind of challenging but it’s a lot of fun to have the freedom to make choices. This show is friendly for all families and it’s an amazing Christmas tradition.
Noa with the cast of 13 at Theater Works performing
"A Little More Homework." (2015)


Last year, you were in the ensemble of Theater Works’ production of 13. What is your favorite memory of that show? Do you think the musical really speaks to the experience of being 13? My favorite memory of 13 was probably the cast. Everyone was super fun and we were all really close. The show itself is so fun and it was put together so well. The show does speak to the experience of being 13 because you go through many of the same problems that are expressed in the show.


At Chaparral High School, you played Olive in The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. What was your favorite part about playing Olive? What is the difference between performing in a high school production versus a community theatre production?
Playing Olive was by far my favorite role I’ve ever played. The cast was small and super close and even though I was a freshman everyone was so sweet. The role was so fun and it’s just overall a great show. High school theatre really isn’t all that different from community theatre. There is a little less rehearsal for high school theatre and less shows, but other than that it’s not much different.


What have you learned by participating in performing arts that you don’t think you could learn doing other activities? 
I have built so much confidence from performing. Many activities help build confidence, but performing really forces you to put yourself out there.


Noa as Olive singing "My Friend, the
Dictionary" in Chapparal's The 25th Annual
Putnam County Spelling Bee
(2016).
Favorite character you got to play this year? 
Olive was my favorite role I played this year. The character is so cute and it was so great. It was an amazing way to start out in high school theatre and I can’t wait to continue doing more shows there until i graduate.


Favorite person you got to play opposite of this past year? (Romantically or otherwise)- Playing Olive and Barfee with Sam Primack was a lot of fun because we are super close and it was fun to do our first show at Chaparral together.


Dream role? 
Eponine in Les Miserables has always been my number one dream role. "On My Own" is one of my favorite musical theatre songs and I am absolutely in love with her character.


Theatres in Arizona you would love to work with, but haven’t?
I would absolutely love to do a show at Spotlight, Hale, or Greasepaint.


Craziest stage experience (mishap, funny improvised joke, etc.)? 
During tech week of Pooh, everyone got the stomach flu and was puking so we constantly had trash cans on the side of the stage and everyone would just run off for a few seconds and then come back on.


Favorite costume you’ve ever worn? Least favorite? 
My favorite costume I’ve ever worn was probably my wardrobe costume for Beauty and the Beast. My dad actually found a cardboard box and painted it white put hangers in it and mirrors on the doors and slipped it over my head. My least favorite costume is hard because I have loved all of my costumes but probably my Owl costume because it was really hot and hard to get out of even though I loved the way it looked!


Best youth production you have ever seen?
Spring Awakening at Spotlight was definitely one of my favorites.


What is your go-to audition song?
Probably "Home" from Wonderland


Advice for young performers? Auditions? Behavior? Life?
Audition for as much as you can and never let not getting cast stop you from continuing to perform. Auditions are nerve-racking but just remember they are always on your side hoping you are the one for the role.


Favorite actors and actresses? Stage? Screen?
My favorite stage actor is Kyle Dean Massey who I got the privilege to do a master class with this summer at Broadway Artists Alliance. My favorite screen actors are probably Jennifer Lawrence and Eddie Redmayne.


Favorite musicals?
Heathers, Next to Normal, and Spring Awakening


Musical/play on Broadway currently you’re dying to see? 
Hamilton and Fun Home
Noa with Jessica Sinodis in A
Winnie-the-Pooh Christmas Tail

at VYT (2015).


Favorite movie? TV Show? 
I have too many favorite movies to pick one but my favorite TV shows are The Office and Friends.

(A/N: The Office is the best TV show of all time.)


Personal mantra(s)? 
If I’m ever nervous before an audition or performance my dad always tells me to take a deep breath and say “This is my place.” I don’t really know what it is but it always helps.


How do you feel about the atmosphere of youth theatre around Arizona? What do you like about it? What do you feel like can be improved?
I love the theatre atmosphere here in Arizona. There are so many options available and so many shows going on all the time. Most of the theatres I like to do shows at are pretty far from me so it would be nice to have some closer.


What’s your “adult” plan? Keep performing professionally or…? 
I would love to continue performing for my whole life. I hope to get a musical theatre degree and then either go to California or New York and get started in either film or stage and see where it takes me!'

Thank you to Noa for doing this interview with us! I have lots of interviews pending right now, so I hope to get more on the site soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment