Thursday, April 7, 2016

AYAA Interview: Jack Rose

Jack Rose, a senior in high school at Brophy College Prep, is known around the Valley for his larger-than-life comedic performances. In the past year, Jack has performed in roles such as The Pharaoh in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at Valley Youth Theatre, Max Bialystock in The Producers at Greasepaint Youth Theatre and Gomez Addams in Brophy/Xavier's production of the Addams Family. Jack Rose also partook in Greasepaint's premiere youth production of Heathers as Kurt's Dad. Jack also recently recorded a non-theatre album with a friend, so look forward to that!




Full Real Legit Name
Surprise! My real name is Thomas, but I go by my middle name. Well, the first half of my middle name. So, Thomas Jackson Rose.

Where were you born?
Phoenix! Born and raised
.
What’s home like? Brothers? Siblings? Parents? Pets?
I have three sisters living at home and a brother out of the house, therefore I am the middle child of five. My house is always in a state of panic and we like it like that. Someone’s always laughing, crying, or screaming.

When and why did you start performing?
I started performing in fourth grade, I was the King in R&H’s Cinderella. If you want to imagine a pink, pudgy fourth grader with an afro, by all means.
Why I started performing? I remember being in third grade watching all my sisters in their dance recitals. I saw a tap number by some of the older dancers in the company and I might’ve started crying because I wanted to be up on stage doing stuff. Didn’t know exactly what, but I can definitely recall that as being the inception of the theater-bug.


First show you ever saw?
I’m pretty sure I remember seeing a Child’s Play production of The Velveteen Rabbit as a kid. I think that’s it…


First Broadway show you ever saw?
I have never seen a show on Broadway… please don’t throw me into the orchestra pit :( My girlfriend took me to see Gentleman’s Guide at Gammage though, that kicked ass.

Most influential show you ever saw? Why was it so influential?
Really don’t throw me in the orchestra pit. It’s been a fear of mine my whole theater career.

Jack as Max Bialystock with Hale Stewart in Greasepaint's
production of The Producers.
Favorite show you’ve ever been in? Why?
Producers. I was opposite my best friend on stage and the show just meant a lot to the both of us, I know it was a huge undertaking for the both of us.

Most challenging acting experience? Why?
The Jail scene in Producers was probably the hardest thing I’ve done on stage, aside from wearing a bejeweled turban that didn’t look good (long story short: Once On This Island). The jail scene is basically the entirety of the show summarized in a song with a lot of words, strange timing, no time to breath, and a seemingly endless final note. I hopped right into the next scene as well, so I was always covered in sweat and seeing stars during the black out.

You played Edna in Greasepaint’s production of Hairspray. How did you approach such an iconic role? How did you think your portrayal of Edna was different than others?
Playing a woman was definitely new, but it was a really incredible experience. I had so much fun playing Edna. I approached it by sprinting at it and hoping that when I hit it would glide instead of crash and burn. I really just had to feel the role out, try stuff out. I didn’t want her to be timid and afraid like John Travolta, so I went for more of the Divine type thing.

You portrayed Reverend Shaw Moore in Brophy/Xavier’s production of Footloose. What were the challenges that came with this role? Why do you think the story of Footloose is so popular?
Feeling the death of someone on stage is really hard to convey on stage. It was so hard to find any silver lining in Shaw Moore, or show that there was one in this guy, because if we hadn’t put "I Confess" back in, he would’ve been evil the whole time save for the last scene. It was hard to show humanity in the man.

Also at Brophy/Xavier, you played Chad in High School Musical. What is different about performing in a high school production versus a community theatre production?
Oh boy, yes I played Chad. Can you see my striking resemblance to Corbin Bleu? In a community theatre production you can safely assume that everyone who is there has invested enough interest to where it is obvious they are there to put on a show and work. High school shows are a struggle sometimes because you get these huge casts and a learning curve, but at the same time, high school shows are the perfect place to cut your teeth as an actor. It’s less stressful, and nobody is expecting a broadway show.

What was playing Kurt’s Dad in Greasepaint’s Heathers like? Why do you think that show is so megapopular right now? What is your favorite memory from that production?
Kurt’s Dad was just a fun part in a fun show, being in both casts probably wasn’t the smartest logistical move I’ve made but all in all, it was a nice show, good time.
I think it’s popularity could have something to do with its relativity right now. Who can’t relate to the struggles of high school kids? It’s also worth noting that in the midst of the U.S. being plagued by violence, it’s an important show to watch and remember.

Jack as the Pharaoh in VYT's Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor
Dreamcoat.
You also recently played the Pharaoh in VYT’s production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. What was most fun about performing as the Pharaoh? Why do you think Joseph has been so popular this year?
I love interacting with the audience. Fourth wall breaks, winks, pregnant pausing, witty ad libs at hecklers, I love all of it. As Pharaoh, I got to tease the audience every night, talk to the band, and rock out on stage for 15 minutes in a golden diaper. Who wouldn’t think that was rad?
Joseph is probably just coming back, making the rounds. The music is great, the story is fun, it’s a good show to bring back. I’m glad to see it’s on the up and up.

You also played Max Bialystock in the Producers during this season. What was your favorite part of playing that character? What was different about that experience than other shows you had been in before?
My favorite part of playing Max was developing the character. He’s such a lunatic that you can’t even read lines unless you go all out every time, so you really get to know Max and what he is all about. The only difference between this role and all my others is the amount of sheer work that went into it. I don’t think I have ever busted my ass that hard for a role. I lost weight playing Max. I think.

Jack with Hale Stewart in Greasepaint's The Producers.
Favorite character you got to play this year?
Oi. That’s tough. I’d say Max Bialystock. Sentimental about that one.

Favorite person you got to play opposite of this past year? (Romantically or otherwise)
Romantically: Hale Stewart
Otherwise: Hale Stewart again if that’s allowed.




Dream role? Dream role of the opposite sex?
Frank ‘n’ Furter from the Rocky Horror Show, since I was 12.
If I were to play a woman on stage, I’d want to be Eva Peron. Love Evita.

Theatres in Arizona you would love to work with, but haven’t?
I’d honestly work at any theater, I just love doing shows.

Craziest stage experience (mishap, funny improvised joke, etc.)?
I was in Aladdin (don’t stop reading c’mon) playing Jafar. I had this punk kid (years later I would see him on an episode of New Girl, fun fact) playing my parrot. The name of the parrot escapes me, but it sounded like Ian? Okay so we are in the middle of a scene, a big scene. A scene with most of the cast on stage. Ian the parrot thinks it would be a great idea to just start ad libbing and going off script, saying lines no one had heard and pulling focus (shame on you if you pull focus, shame on you) so I decided to just keep my cool and aggressively yell at him on stage in the middle of the show.

Weirdest show you’ve ever been to? (Whether it be the nature of the show, casting decisions, etc.)
Secret In The Wings was pretty out there, even after they cut the whole incest thing!

Favorite costume you’ve ever worn? Least favorite?
I played Ebenezer Scrooge and all I had to wear was a big white night dress thing and a cap. They told me I had to wear shorts underneath but I never did, thus resulting in a few audience members and myself sharing a communal blush session. That was a great costume.


I think I briefly mentioned the turban before. I don’t want to get into it, basically they said I had to wear the turban even though I was wearing a vest made out of denim and blue cotton sweats. I was the only one who had to wear a hat (aside from Phil who also had a hat that looked terrible).

What is your go-to audition song?
Not my go-to, but when it works, I love doing “If You Could See Her Through My Eyes” from Cabaret.

Advice for young performers? Auditions? Behavior? Life?
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. No just kidding. Young performers, it’s okay have passion and it’s okay to put yourself out there. For auditions, just be prepared, easy as that. For life? I don’t think I am the best person to answer this question, but I guess I’ll just lay some dad advice on ya. If life sucks just lean into it and eventually you will get used to it.

Favorite actors and actresses? Stage? Screen?
My favorite actors and actresses… let’s get Meryl Streep out of the way. I love mob movies, so Robert DeNiro, Ray Liotta, Al Pacino, all those guys.. Love them.

Favorite plays?
I really like The Crucible, Much Ado, and Death of a Salesman.

Favorite musicals?
I still like Phantom SUE ME, Evita, Grease as well SUE ME TWICE, Rocky Horror takes the cake though.

What is the best showtune of all-time?
"I’m Going Home." It’s not really upbeat, and it’s not really show tuney, but that’s just how I roll.

Musical/play on Broadway currently you’re dying to see?
Hamilton would be fun to see, even if I do have to hear about it every second of the day.

Favorite movie? TV Show?
Movie? There Will Be Blood directed by the Coen Brothers, and Waiting For Guffman directed by Christopher Guest.
TV Show? Fargo, Breaking Bad, Twin Peaks, Gossip Girl.

(A/N: If you are an actor and have not watched the milkshake scene from There Will Be Blood, first finish this interview and then go look it up. It's essential.)

Secret guilty pleasure?
None of my pleasures are guilty, but if you’re asking if I belt Destiny’s Child in the shower you wouldn’t be wrong.
Personal mantra(s)?
I do some weird stuff… I tell myself “Into The Congo We Go” for some reason and it makes me feel better. I don’t know why or where it even came from, but I do that.

Performer you would die to perform with?
Nathan Lane. What a guy. Or Zero Mostel, rest in peace.



How do you feel about the atmosphere of youth theatre around Arizona? What do you like about it? What do you feel like can be improved?
When you take a lot of thespians and group them together, there is bound to be a few things. Granted most of these things are wonderful and bring us all together, there are minor components that I don’t quite understand. I love that we have a thriving theater scene here in AZ, a ton of talent, and a lot of passion. I feel like there’s room for improvement when it comes to pointless drama and such but you find that anywhere you go.

What’s your “adult” plan? Keep performing professionally or…?
I’m majoring in acting with a minor in voice over to start, acting would definitely be a great professional pursuit, but I also want to get into advertising and graphic design, or something with music. I don’t know. My adult plan is to be really bad at being an adult.

Upcoming projects?
Jack as Gomez with Payton Biolette in Brophy/Xavier's
The Addams Family.
I open Addams Family this weekend actually, so that will be a weekender show and then things will be relatively quiet for a bit. I may audition around Phoenix, also might get a job. I recorded an album with my friend recently, that’s gonna be coming up pretty soon, it’s not related to theater but it is a project.

(A/N: Full disclosure: Jack did this interview before Addams opened.)
Young actor/actress in the Phoenix area you'd love to perform with
I’ve heard great things about Grant Gillem, heard he is a dark horse in the acting game.

Thank you to Jack for doing this interview! Hope to have more stories from more awesome actors to share soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment